Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Where is this leak coming from?

I have another post that asks where to buy a windshield seal. I noticed a 2 inch gap where this seal (called window reveal molding) had shrunk. I put some butyl putty in the gap and thought I had a temporary fix. I also sealed the clearance lights over the cab. I ordered the seal material and the channel. This morning it rained pretty hard and there was a puddle on my dash. It is baffling as to where the water can be coming in. Any ideas?
BTW, I also have a new roof, and I am certain that does not leak. I removed the trim at the top of the windshield on the inside. It was wet, but I am baffled by where it can be coming in.
DonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Check where the front cap seals to the roof - especially in the two ends (sloping over the side). We use a hose on low volume and let it run on a section at a time to see if we can duplicate the leak.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The irony of this is that I paid big bucks to have RV Armor put on my roof because I did not want any leaks on my roof. I am very happy with this and they coated the roof down to just above the clearance lights in the front and down the sides.
I will check it again in a few days using a hose.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Might narrow down the leak to top edge of the windshield ...
Old 01-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just ordered the seal at the top of the windshield. I think it is called molding reveal window. I also ordered the channel that it fits into. This is the one that has the double sided tape to fasten it down. I plan to use my butyl tape to make sure the whole windshield is totally sealed.
BTW, I used the butyl tape to seal the clearance lights. That really worked quite well. They will probably be sealed for years to come.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2017 Journey and has a similar issue. In the first heavy rain in Southern California we had a puddle on the dash, right side. A local tech checked the roof - no problems - but suspected the over the door awning is funneling the water to the top right had corner of the window and the window isnot sealed correctly. Now trying to get into a warranty facility in socal for repair. We put ductape over the corner to hopefully stop further leaks.
Montyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyB View Post
I I noticed a 2 inch gap where this seal (called window reveal molding) had shrunk. I put some butyl putty in the gap and thought I had a temporary fix.
The reveal molding doesn't seal out water, it's primarily protective and cosmetic so new reveal molding isn't going to stop the leak. I recently had the same issue on my 35U which, according to the PO had the expensive rusted windshield frame repair. Do a little searching and you'll find oodles of threads addressing this issue. Hopefully your's hasn't got this bad. Even though mine was leaking anew, I didn't see any rust. By the way, have you removed the inside, plastic covers so you can inspect the windshield to frame joint?

Leaks are hard to find since water travels, so the source of the water may be several feet from the drips. Fortunately, it always flows downward, never upward (except by wicking or being windblown. It's unlikely that either of these would result in drips like you describe).

Start by taping over the top of the reveal molding to the roof cap with Nasua Extreme Weather Aluminum Duct Tape (available at Home Depot). I found this to be a good, temporary fix that leaves little or no residue. Here's my posting on it:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ml#post3812019

Note that this is just a temporary fix to help you find the source and to stop the leak until you can effect a more permanent repair. Use a hose to test your "repair". Flooding the area with a low flow is better than a hard stream and it will take a while.

If that doesn't fix it, move up to the next possible spot and so on. Theoretically your RV Armor eliminates many of these so your leak probably starts below the RV Armor. However don't take anything for granted, assuming it's not RV Armor's problem to fix under warranty.

Once you find the source, you'll need to decide on a permanent fix. Again, you'll find plenty of threads on this, some with contradictory advice, so read as many as you can to sort out the good from the bad.

The source of my leak was water getting in at the top of the reveal. However the real problem is the windshield to frame joint which is letting the water inside, not the reveal molding itself. Personally, since the aluminum tape has stopped the leak, I'm going to take the Eternabond route and use it to tape over the top of the reveal molding and my roof cap to roof joints. I'm also going to use it along the sides where the roof mates with the aluminum channel. You'll find postings with many pros and cons to this approach and some object to the appearance of Eternabond, but my 35U is a 2002 model with a white roof cap so I think it will look OK. It seems to me that most of those who have used Eternabond seem to like it, those who object to it, for the most part, haven't tried it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Bob for the information and suggestions. We have our 2017 Journey purchased in April 2017 back at La Mesa RV in San Diego. Had a number of other issues in additional to the water leak. These include that driver's slide not going out, the matrix box not working (no lights). I'm not optimistic things will get fixed based on past experience. The RV has been in for 10 working days and we just found out they haven't even looked at it. We told them we needed it back in two weeks when we made appointment over a month ago. Last fall we had to drive to Junction City (factory) to get passenger slide fixed, jack pump leaking - a total of 15 items that La Mesa said were not a problem. We put duct tape on the top right had side of the window to hopefully keep out the rain but it hasn't rained since and we haven't had time to use a hose. I'm not looking forward to driving back to Oregon (over 2200 miles) or to 3T's in Az (over 500 miles and will take 2 trips) that Winnebago recommended to resolve all of these issues. I would like to see Winnebago deal with the poor service facilities in Southern California and authorize another reputable company. Nothing but bad reviews for service at the three existing. I've talked to Winnebago customer service but no help. In addition to the requested repairs above we now have additional problems the jacks are still leaking, the driver's seat has a spring that is loose, the noise from the door is excessive plus the rattle from the front TV hitting the cabinet is getting extremely loud - can't hear the radio on smooth roads. I'm beginning to think we have a lemon
Montyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Montyboy-

I'd suggest that you tape the top of the whole windshield with the aluminum tape I mentioned.

Your experience makes me feel better about my 2002 Suncruiser. I was at La Mesa in Davis the other day and it was a zoo. I couldn't believe how many rigs were there for service (and for sale). One poor guy had a roof leak and was told it would take them four to six weeks to get to it. He was going to have to fly back east to get back to work. I also had to have three hydraulic hoses replaced on my long, main cabin slide.

La Mesa in Davis won't work on mine since it's more than 10 years old. Fortunately I can do most of the "house" repairs myself and have found a commercial truck repair place that also does RVs to work on the "truck" stuff.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My wife and i purchased a used 2007 39k Journey from my inlaws and while they owned the rig they had the right side windshield replaced.Whoever did the replacement didnt get it installed exactly straight and there was a void in the adhevsive on the top right side of the window allowing water to leak and drip on the dash.The only way i was able to pinpoint the problem was to remove all trim and channels on the inside and outside then used a hose to put water on the area with my wife watching inside bingo found the leak at the top of the poorly installed windshield.I was able to find and purchase a 3M product that was in a caulk tube i think it was butyl rubber and was able to seal up the leak using a putty knife to work the stuff into the void. When putting the trim channel back up it had to be trimmed down to fit because of the windshield not being in square so not only did the leak get repaired but also fixed the issue with the windshield trim rubber that the bozos had stuck on with some kind of glue. It was a huge under taking but we no longer need a 4 qt pan on the dash catching water from the leak. Good luck
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all your input. As mentioned in an earlier post, I ordered the Reveal Trim plus the channel it fits into. Yesterday I started to work on this. I removed the two trim pieces on the sides of the windshield, then pulled out the trim along the top of the windshield. There are actually two windshields that make up what I call the windshield. Then I started to remove the channel. It is made up of two pieces, one for each side. As I was pulling that out, the passenger side windshield cracked. It was about 6 inches long. I was upset at myself, but just quit. I put Gorilla duct tape across the windshield and then called RV Glass Solution here in Florida. They are going to replace both halves. What an expensive lesson. I hope they will do a good job and fix the leaking problem.

BobC - we currently live in Florida, but my wife and I were raised in the Elk Grove area. In fact, we were just there last week. It sure has grown since I have been there last.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

BobC - we currently live in Florida, but my wife and I were raised in the Elk Grove area. In fact, we were just there last week. It sure has grown since I have been there last.[/QUOTE]

We moved here in 1990 and live next to the golf course at Franklin and Elk Grove Blvd. Our neighborhood used to be surrounded by cow pastures, now it's miles of houses in every direction.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Looking at some of the other posts on this site, I feel like I am in good company. Seems there are several others with this leaky windshield problem. As I mentioned in a previous post of mine, I cracked the windshield trying to remove the channel that holds the reveal molding trim. I took it to a place called RV Glass Solutions. Their shop was only an hour away, so I opted to go there rather than have them come to me. I also opted to have both sides replaced even though only one side was cracked. I am glad I did that even though it cost me just less than $2k for both sides. The technicians removed the glass, then ground the rust down to metal. (I had what they said was mild rusting). They then applied the urethane adhesive/rust preventative and installed the two pieces of new glass. They said they applied extra adhesive to prevent further leaks. Since my windshields were glue-in types, I had to stay over night before moving my coach. They had a 50 amp service, so was not a problem. That night it rained really hard, and there was not a drop of water on the dash. In fact, I washed it after a few days, and hosed the trim quite heavily and still no leaks. I am quite happy with the job they did. I only hope this lasts for several years..
Old 02-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Glad your problem has a happy ending
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak