Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We're adding a cabinet to our living area in the coach. Ideally, I'd like to screw it into the floor as well as the wall. Anyone know what's under the carpet? It would be great if it was 3/4" marine grade plywood underneath the pad. But I don't know.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We're adding a cabinet to our living area in the coach. Ideally, I'd like to screw it into the floor as well as the wall. Anyone know what's under the carpet? It would be great if it was 3/4" marine grade plywood underneath the pad. But I don't know.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I toured the factory a number of years ago ... I watched them create the floors ... it seems to me that they sandwitched together 3/4" plywood, a very thin sheet of metal (aluminum, I think) and something else ...

If you remove one of the floor heat registers you can see what your floor looks like.

The heat duct runs below the floor on my coach ... and I assume it does on your coach too ... a hole in the floor allows the heat to come through the register.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jim - Gramp has it about correct - on mine it is about 3/4" ply, then about an inch of Styrofoam insulation, then thin aluminum skin (the aluminum is the ceiling of some basement compartments.)

You're going to have a problem finding something substantial in the wall however. Winnie prepositions metal backing plates for mounting various inside cabinets and the like before the walls are sandwiched together. With some luck you could hit a vertical support ('stud' of sorts.) On a humid morning you might be able to notice a pattern of dew on your coach that would show you where these 'studs' are located.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Not sure if this will help.. PDF brochure of your MH. 6Mb file.. so it takes a few seconds to load.
2002 Ultimate Advantage PDF
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, all. I had scoured the PDF and the other files for this info, but it's not in them. I never thought to take up a register. Ha.

I am glad it's 3/4" plywood in the floor because I didn't want to tackle the wall mounting if I didn't have to. As you noted, John, it's a guess most of the time and I hate missing supports. Those holes are hard to fix.

Regards,

Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Jim ...

You can generally see the sidewall construction by looking in the outside refrigerator access "door" ... that will give you the layers and the thickness ... generally you will have luan, foam, fiberglass ....

I have used the morning dew patterns to locate supports as John suggested ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ua40j:
We're adding a cabinet to our living area in the coach. Ideally, I'd like to screw it into the floor as well as the wall. Anyone know what's under the carpet? It would be great if it was 3/4" marine grade plywood underneath the pad. But I don't know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Call the Winnebago customer service number and they will usually be happy to send you a drawing detailing where the supports are in the area of your concern.

If you remove the basement air filter you should be able to see what the sandwich is like that makes up the floor. It is usually a 3/8 to 3/4 inch plywood topped aluminum skinned bottom stress skin panel with a 1 to 1.5 inch thick foam core. When you call the toll free customer service numer Winnebago should be able to tell you the exact specification also.

You find the number as listed below at:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/

"Service Administration
(800)-537-1885
For inquiries related to your current vehicle, service, or dealer inquires, please have the following information ready when making your call:
"¢ Complete 12 digit serial number
"¢ Date of purchase
"¢ Selling dealers name

Note: If you own one of our motor homes and have a question about it, we encourage you to contact us by phone. We find phone communication allows us to more quickly resolve your issue."
Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

In screwing to the floor have you considered the twist these floors endure while in transit?
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Another method of finding the support studs in the wall is by using an electronic stud finder. Worked for me.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote