Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 06:20 AM   #1
Site Team

What's the name of the sealant

Hey All,

We've got a Class A Vista 32K that I got on top of this past week and saw that I really need to re-seal the channel where the roof meets the sidewalls. I *thought* I had a link save in Amazon to the product that Winnebago suggests you use but when I logged into my saved items it was not there. I'm not really sure where I got the link or information (I know it was a forum) so I'm at a loss and hoping someone knows the name.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thom
Old 01-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

is this the stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_327p1qck7_e
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

When I Google Winnebago's part number (072889-10-000) from the sealant call out sheet I get this:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...&tag=googhydr-
20&index=aps&hvadid=190591619991&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw= g&hvrand=3733919971625560716&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt =e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032518&hv targid=kwd-312049751738&ref=pd_sl_2l0wlutvry_e

Also, here's a link to Winnebago's service tips on sealing the roof joint:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/s...%20Sealing.pdf
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You can download the Winnebago "Sealant Callout Sheet" for your specific model here;

Sealants Callout Sheets

If sounds like you are looking for the thermoplastic sealant. Never use silicone.

Here's a helpful article from a recent WIT Club Newsletter;
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WITClub.AprMay16.pdf (2.08 MB, 549 views)
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
Site Team

THANKS! I've got some light reading for this evening and some clicking/buying to do to get some on-hand!!
Old 01-31-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I used OSI QUAD clear as recommended on many rv posts with good results. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
chickenman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Speaking of seals, anyone know where I can find the replacements for the seals around my windows as well as the sealant that needs to be used (if any). I went to my local rv supply and they had about 50 different types of seals, from doors to windows. Anyone replaced their window seals?
IverJ410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Winnie has a 10 year warranty on their roof but only if you follow their maintenance schedule which for some models is 2X per year. And you have to have evidence (but it can be your own scraps of paper with dates and materials used).

With that in mind, Winnie changes their sealing procedure as often as the sealants change their formula so it's always best to contact Winnie to verify what to use.

Finally, if you're not concerned about the warranty, you could use 2" Eternabond tape run down the entire length of the roof inside the rain gutter and smoothed up onto the roof. After cleaning as much caulking out as possible. So 1" ends up inside the gutter, and 1" is attached to the roof. Since it sticks like crazy, and runs nearly the entire length of the roof, I think it's a pretty effective way of holding the roof on.

Winnie had a few months back in '06-07 I think? where they installed defective roofs that were 1/2" less wide then they needed to be so they'd easily pop out from under the caulking holding the roof into the channel (that's all that holds the edges of their roofs on, caulking). Their in warranty repair was Ebond tape. If it's good enough for them...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Their in warranty repair was Ebond tape. If it's good enough for them...
That's nice to know. I really don't see how you can go wrong by using Eternabond unless you have full-body paint and are concerned about appearance. Clearly this is not an issue for me and my 2002 Suncruiser.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I think most full body paint jobs end just under the roof gutter so since that's where most Ebond tape is used, not really an issue most of the time. In addition, Ebond has other colors of tape now.

I'm a big fan of Ebond...have it all over my roof...end cap seams, roof edges, around roof top devices. I wish they paid me for the advertising I do for them on forums.

Oh, I can plug my RV repair blog! I keep forgetting to do that lately. I've been writing and posting to this blog for 15 years now and I've made $100 from ads ($6.66/year), so that's not why I do it. RV roof maintenance...

Old 02-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Manus bond 75...can get it in black, white and clear (and also school bus yellow
Old 02-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
Site Team

I do have full-body paint so the eternabond idea is out of the question as the paint comes op over the side to the top.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I do have full-body paint so the eternabond idea is out of the question as the paint comes op over the side to the top.
For what it's worth, Eternabond comes in white, gray, black and tan.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Not to hijack but I have been thinking of going to Eternabond on our trailer's TPO roof to gutter seam as I'm tired of having to always check and/or replace the sealant. I've been wondering if the black is black throughout or is the adhesive side a different color? My concern is I don't want to see a racing stripe on the gutter side (you know that OCB thing).
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Manus bond 75...can get it in black, white and clear (and also school bus yellow
This is what I used. there is a good video on youtube about using this product and how to apply it.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I got some from Winnebago a few months ago and received Stone Mason Gutter and Siding sealant. Seems to be the same stuff as what is on the roof now. It is clear. I used it and seems to work well.
murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Journey 39k Sealant

I just went thru all the steps to determine and find the proper sealant. You need to check the sealant chart for your rig or call Winnebago to determine the correct stuff mine was Manus Bond 75-am I found it on Amazon in clear so that's the way I'm going.
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Manus Bond 75. That's what you should use.

The factory repair using EternaBond tape was a stopgap measure to cover up a manufacturing error. The fiberglass roof overlay was cut too short for a couple of years, and to avoid having to entirely strip the overlay off and apply a new, wider sheet they opted to patch the edge seam.

I know by 2006 they had the roof overlay cut right. When I did mine last summer I saw that it rested all the way down in the bottom of the J-Channel. Lots of surface area tucked into the seam.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:15 PM   #19

I really appreciate the information contained in this thread. However, the thread title is: What's The Name Of The Sealant? ...And I'm not sure the "right stuff" got named?

The ProFlex RV might be the right stuff, but all the links point to several different types of adhesives instead of giving the name.

I can also tell many of you used silicon or some other type of adhesive thinking you got the right stuff, but did you really?

The "white paper" from Winnebago listing part numbers is great to have, but what brand and adhesive type do those part numbers refer to? Further, I doubt Winnebago still supplies these adhesives? ...They might. ...They might not and my experience shows 50%+ of the time Winnebago no longer carries part numbers on record.

My Itasca Horizon (40AD) roof failed last year due to high winds in the El Paso area, right at the start of my 4 month long summer vacation; and so I will share what I learned firsthand -- after much personal experiences on how to repair my roof on the road; where to repair the roof; and my experiences working directly with Winnebago who put a new roof on my RV:

1) High cross winds will attack the front leading edge of your roof and the rear roof area above your bedroom slide. In my case, the fiberglass skin ripped out of the channel just behind the front cap on the driver's side. Then the wind then got under the fiberglass skin and proceed to rip off the roof clear to the rear of the coach. This force left my roof flapping in the wind, which means the skin completely separated it from the glue that holds it to the styrofoam roof sections.

2) I think the roof channel on the passenger side is pretty well protected, but that's because you have a long awning bolted to the sidewalls, and that holds the roof edge down. But the roof channel above the entry door is still vulnerable and you might want to pay particular attention to this area.

3) I found polyurethane sealants like "Quad" (available at HD and Lowes) have excellent adhesion qualities, but are very poor when it comes to UV protection! And UV will cause cracking in 6 months time, which bothered me from a water protection point of view.

4) 100% Silicon adhesives are much better for UV protection, but not strong enough to use on your roof. Therefore, a "Hybrid" sealant needs to be used. But what kind is the question?

5) Prior to Winnebago putting an entire new roof on; and after the wind damage I sustained; I need a quick fix to complete my summer vacation. So I ordered off Amazon 2" Eternabond tape and ran it down the entire driver-side part of the roof. It really stuck and it did not look too bad. (Unfortunately, you cannot get Eternabond in clear.) But I can tell you that if you tape your roof before it fails then you will probably never lose it like I did in the first place.

6) Winnebago would not repair my roof. All they would do is replace it for $35,000; and even then it took 3 months for them to schedule me into their shop. Never mind that Forest City, IA is in the country and about 80 miles to the nearest airport. So there are logistic issues you need to contend with too if you go this route.

7) The good news is that Hartford insurance DID pay for the roof repairs, but their decision was entirely based on the fact that I kept a detailed service records (IN A BOOK); and in those records was an 8 month old entry indicating that I replaced the roof sealant "all around the entire roof."

So had it not been for me maintaining a detailed service record, the insurance company would NOT have paid for this repair. ...And I think I was lucky in that my insurance company only asked for proof that I maintained the roof within the last year, because I understand some insurance companies are asking for proof of roof maintenance within the last 6 months!

So now I have a new roof (with a new inside roof vinyl ceiling too, which is a whole different subject), but I still need to either "maintain" my new roof with the RIGHT SEALANT or I will choose to apply 2" of Eternabond tape to the roof so I never have any wind problems again. But since my roof is new, I probably will wait 3 years before I do this.

Conclusions: The problem is that silicon adhesives are not strong enough to hold the fiberglass skin in the channel; and polyurethane adhesives like Quad have poor UV protection. ...And with enough time all these over the counter type adhesives will fail.

So you need to pick the right "Hybrid Sealant" and I don't mean the new stuff by Gorilla Glue. (Although I have been pretty impressed by "Flex Glue" I still can't recommend it at this point.)

What I am sure about is this: 3M makes a 4200 and more permanent 5200 boat sealant, but it's only available in white. So if you can use white then one of these two sealants sound like the right stuff for this application.

If you need a clear sealant, then that is what we all are waiting for and the point of this thread is to NAME THAT SEALANT so we know what to use. And we need a verifiable source to back-up what clear type of sealant is best!

In my mind, I think Eternabond tape is the best solution, but I wish they offered it in a 1" version, but they don't.

And given all I have read about semi-truck aerodynamics, which has to be similar to RV aerodynamics, I don't think you need a ton of glue strength to hold your fiberglass skin inside the channel, due to the vacuum that is created within the 1 foot area covering most of your roof top, but you do need more than what you can get from the best Silicon adhesives. And when you are dealing with crosswinds the aerodynamics change.

On the subject of needing flexibility. Yes, that is very important too. And we all know this is case every time we enter a driveway and torque the "big box" one way and then another. So this is why Winnebago uses a roof trim sealant made to flex.

In closing and for fun, you might like to watch this video on truck aerodynamics:

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

The problem of using this or any forum for the name of the 'right stuff' is that in a few weeks or months it might be different. A few years ago I read an article by Winnebago about the various sealant manufacturers changing their formulas and how hard it was to stay abreast of all the changes. By them!

So, I think I mentioned this before, contact Winnebago and find out what the current sealant sheet for your RV would be. They should be made aware of your new roof installation too. They should have records on it.

As far as Eternabond tape goes, I use the 2" along both sides, then 4" on both end cap seams. I think it's an excellent solution for those of us who do not have problems with racking, either from driveways or from favorite hidden camping spots down unimproved roads. And who are getting on up in years and don't feel like trying to climb to the roof in order to maintain the sealant every 6 months as recommended by Winnebago.

Ebond on the roof article: Roof Work

Tags
seal