Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

For the first time in 4 years I had the opportunity to use the potty while my wife was driving....really had to go! There is a noise that was coming from under the bathroom area (by the rear wheels. Sounded like someone was beatin a piece of tubing under the coach. It comes and goes and for the life of me I can't find a thing!

My wife told it happens all the time - even in our other coach. So what's up???

It's a mystery to me.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

For the first time in 4 years I had the opportunity to use the potty while my wife was driving....really had to go! There is a noise that was coming from under the bathroom area (by the rear wheels. Sounded like someone was beatin a piece of tubing under the coach. It comes and goes and for the life of me I can't find a thing!

It's a mystery to me.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I'll be the first. I say it the mud flap.

1998 Jeep Cherokee
jgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Rocketheart, It could be the rear mudflap. My front ones make a flapping noise when the wind is blowing from certain directions while driving but I'm not sure about the rear ones. They are not too stiff and do move a lot going down the road. Good Luck finding the noise. Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

It's your birthday creeping up on you
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The first trip I took with my new 2004 Meridian, the flapping sound nearly drove me crazy (and a very short drive at that). Finally discovered the front flap were whacking the front end of the compartments just behind the front wheels. So I cut a couple of 1" metal strips about a foot long and made braces running down the back of the mud flaps. No more noise. As was stated above, they are really flimsy and doesn't take much to stop them from flapping. Another sorry situation from Winnebago that could have been prevented. Guess its always cheaper to let the customer fix the problem.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

On my '99 Chieftain, the banging sound was the big piece of sheet metal hanging down in front of the rear dually. It the piece hanging in front like the one that is behind the dually that the mud flap hangs on.

Like you, I found it after a couple of years when my brother was driving on a cross-country trip. A ty-wrap around the nearest brace fixed it for good.

Good luck,
Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Well MY flapping noise in the rear is the bedroom awning strap beating against the window.

In my 85' Pace the mud flap had a piece of backup steel behind it to keep it somewhat in place and not flap around. Well that works, but the flap used to beat on the steel instead.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had the problem also the first year. I found it was the metal flap that Duner refers to banging against a metal support rod that Winnie uses to brace the fiberglass around the wheel cut out. I put a piece of 1/2" pipe insulation over the rod. End of noise.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #10
ET
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocket Heart:

It's a mystery to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the plumber's truck still in front of your house?

It could be what you mentioned, a piece of tubing from one of your holding tanks vibrating between the tank and coach floor.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I just returned from Nevada and I had the same issue. It was the screws in my mud flaps, they kept working their way out and were loose, so took it in for other service to my dealers and they replaced the screws with way BIGGER ones and now the noise is gone.

It took quite a few miles to figure it out too.

I usually am traveling alone but this time I had a gal friend with me and she tracked it down.

I drove it up to where I am now about 250 miles and no noise so I am a happy camper

Karen
OregonLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

SCVJeff,

You can stop the strap from flapping by moving the strap off to one side when letting it roll up. That makes the piecve hanging out shorter and thus no slapping against the side.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Wow Thanks guy's! You all are very helpful - and funny too! I think it's the mud flap...now to stop it........

And oh yeah - it may have been my Birthday but it's all over now