Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What's missing?

Hello, all!

I upgraded from the old rig ('94 Winnie Adventurer 34RQ) to a newer rig ('05 Winnie Adventurer 38J) last fall but have noted several items missing, or spots where it seems something should be. I get the impression that some of these are common to have missing. In my case, I'm the third owner and I believe the rig was repoed at one point and went to auction, so either the original owner or the prep folks at the auction house might have helped themselves to anything that wasn't nailed down.

I've been saving up this little quiz for a while in the hopes I could gather all the necessary clues and maybe answer a few of my own questions along the way. I've spent a considerable amount of time poring over Winnie's manifest, their parts catalog, and the various manuals available online and figured a few out, so here are the ones I'm still not sure of:

Empty rack - Basement, starboard side, mid:

Looks like an awning tool might slide into the upper clips, wasn't sure about the lower ones.

Empty rack - Basement, port side, aft:

I believe this is where the lug wrench, breaker bar, jack, etc. would go but wasn't sure exactly what the loadout should consist of.

Missing item, starboard side forward of dining slide:

Based on what was in this position relative to the other slides, I was thinking this was some sort of cleat intended to retain the slide awning.

Reference item for above from port side forward slide (sorry it's a bit blurry, was in an odd position to get the shot):

So far, nothing of what's been missing couldn't be readily replaced or fabricated, has been terribly critical nor had any major impact on day-to-day life in the rig. Among some of the other odd missing items include the cutting board (who takes a cutting board?) and the hardware to secure the dining table to the floor (likely this isn't the OEM table). I was bummed I didn't get "the bag" and manuals but I'm gradually acquiring the more critical missing items from the bag such as the doghouse wrench. Interesting note: the head wrench from a later-model pinball machine is a perfect fit for the doghouse latch!

Some of the other missing items:
  • Lug wrench
  • Leverage Bar
  • Jack
  • Spare tire
  • Emergency Slide Retract Wrench
  • Engine Cover Wrench
  • Rear ladder extension
  • Exterior entertainment table/shelf
  • Cutting Board Sirius Satellite Radio Unit
  • Rechargable Flashlight
  • Owners bag (and special tools)
  • All OEM Manuals
  • 2 of 4 rechargeable handheld radios
  • Various remote controls

To summarize my rambling post: If anyone could pls confirm what might be missing from the above images, I'd appreciate it! Also, I'd be curious to hear from other folks some of the odd items they've found missing in their own rigs!

Very respectfully,
Kris

p.s. - Say, how are the table and chairs supposed to be secured? I couldn't find any reference images with a clear shot at the riggings.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

First picture is the rack for the rods to manually operate the slides.

Many manuals are one line

Welcome to the Winnebago family – the company has excellent resources online.
Brochure archive
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/index.php
Operator Manuals
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/operatormanuals.php
Manuals & Diagrams
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/
Links on the page above to
Parts Catalog

Plumbing Diagrams
Wiring Diagrams
R.V. Parts and Accessories Catalog -
How to Identify a Motor home -
Sealants Callout Sheets
Operator Manuals
Paint Code Manuals
Audio Video Guides
Supplier Links
Click here
Service Tips:
Service Tips
It's also a good idea to register yourself as the new owner. Link below
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/secondowner/index.php

rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, RReam! I never would've guessed the manual retract rods.

I've already plundered the great archives at Winnebago for their plentiful manuals for both of the RVs. I had originally planned to print them out, throw them into a binder and sort of recreate the original Winnie OEM binder like I had in the old one but found it better to just load them all up onto the iPad and use them that way.

I didn't think I could register as the second owner for either rig, since I'm the third owner on each. Oh, no doubt it'd be great if I could, though!

v/r,
Kris
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Kris, here's something that may help. You mention you've pulled most of the online stuff already, not sure if you have it.

If you go here Service Parts List with your model year and the last 5 digits of your Winnie serial # (not the VIN, the Winnie number) you can get a listing of all the parts used to build your specific RV. That might give you a lead on what's missing.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

first pic is the extension ladder holder (bottom part of the rear ladder), 2nd pic is for the socket tool to remove the wheel covers (may be for the wheel lugs as well-not sure)-the other 2 pics you have there, can't place them as compared to mine..
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The top 2 items weren't included with the motorhome when it was built at the factory.

Leverage Bar
Jack
Spare tire

It would have come with a spare tire and wheel only if it has the 19.5" wheels. They weren't included on the chassis with 22.5 " wheels. If it has 19.5" wheels the spare tire should be under the coach in a rack between the frame rails near the rear.

In all likelyhood the rechargable flashlight was thrown in the trash. Our flashlight and vacuum lasted about 2 seasons before they would no longer take a charge. We replaced the vacuum with one from Walmart, but the flashlight never did get replaced. The original gave such poor light it wasn't worth replacing.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ed,

Oh, much appreciated but I do already have that. Talk about a godsend, that list really did help to fill in a lot of gaps early on. It's also been good to be able to definitively cross-reference to Winnie part numbers and to see if something has been superseded by a preferable part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Kris, here's something that may help. You mention you've pulled most of the online stuff already, not sure if you have it.

If you go here Service Parts List with your model year and the last 5 digits of your Winnie serial # (not the VIN, the Winnie number) you can get a listing of all the parts used to build your specific RV. That might give you a lead on what's missing.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

TXDutt,

Good to meet another 38J owner, let alone a 2k5! Actually, having the ladder extension in that rack makes a lot of sense. If I ever get my hands on one, I might have to hit you up to see how it mounts in the holder. Hmm, if the other one held the wheel cover removal tool, makes sense that wouldn't be there. I have the Alcoa wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdutt View Post
first pic is the extension ladder holder (bottom part of the rear ladder), 2nd pic is for the socket tool to remove the wheel covers (may be for the wheel lugs as well-not sure)-the other 2 pics you have there, can't place them as compared to mine..
Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hikerdogs,

Ahh, yep that all makes sense and I have the 22.5"s. And nope, no spare in that spot underneath. On my '94, it was in the forward basement compartment, so I had figured the same on the '05. As a fellow RVer once told me, "who needs a spare when you have Good Sam?!"

Good call on the flashlight. I didn't figure it would've been a particularly good one that had been in there. Current plan is to run pick up a good Maglite with a mount before the next roadtrip. Maybe one of those nice heavy-duty rechargeable ones if I can track one down.

The vacuum was there but the battery had long been dead. Tried to get a new one put in at Batteries Plus but they couldn't/wouldn't do it, so I threw it out. Haven't had much need to replace it just yet, though I did give some thought to installing a central vac in that cabinet.

I did luck out and manage to snag a set of four new GMRS200 radios on clearance from ASA, super cheap. Not that I really NEED 'em but figured so long as the charger was in there, might as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The top 2 items weren't included with the motorhome when it was built at the factory.

Leverage Bar
Jack
Spare tire

It would have come with a spare tire and wheel only if it has the 19.5" wheels. They weren't included on the chassis with 22.5 " wheels. If it has 19.5" wheels the spare tire should be under the coach in a rack between the frame rails near the rear.

In all likelyhood the rechargable flashlight was thrown in the trash. Our flashlight and vacuum lasted about 2 seasons before they would no longer take a charge. We replaced the vacuum with one from Walmart, but the flashlight never did get replaced. The original gave such poor light it wasn't worth replacing.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

FWIW, The flashlights supplied with my Winnebago Journey were actually pretty good lights. The problem was that they didn't play well with the MSW inverter and got smoked after about a year. I have several of the same lights at home and they have been going strong for over 10 years.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

There is a wealth of knowledge available on the Winnebago website.

The first thing I wuld do would be to visit the resource section there and, armed with your serial number and other pertinent information, download a manual for your coach. A wealth of knowledge.

With this same information, Winnebago can provide you with a "build sheet" which will show all standard items on your coach as well as a listing of optional items which were originally supplied.
rogo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSandrick View Post
I didn't think I could register as the second owner for either rig, since I'm the third owner on each. Oh, no doubt it'd be great if I could, though!
You should certainly be able to register as the current owner with Winnebago, and it would be a good idea to do so--second owner really just means not first owner.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote