Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I'm sure this has been bounced around for some time but.........

When detailing the coach, what do you recommend to use for a wax and cleaner??

A friend of mine is going to do the job for just a half an arm and a quarter of a leg. He says he's not going to do the job unless I get him some good easy stuff to do it with.

Thanks,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A friend of mine is going to do the job for just a half an arm and a quarter of a leg. He says he's not going to do the job unless I get him some good easy stuff to do it with.

Thanks,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Have used wax as u dry to keep up the clean shine after washing.
also like the new Turtle wax ICE is easy and fast almost to good to be true works fast can do whole coach in about 2 hrs. good luck
Old 08-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

That's aways a good question. The coaches get alot of weather abuse, not like a car. Some quick and easy waxs and polish don't last. I use my roof to check out this products to see how they last. We all know the roof get the biggest abuse. I found that polish from Germany last longer. I use Klasse Polish and Klasse sealer. It a quick and easy product to use. I live in Houston, Texas and we got the weather,plus my coach sets out side. I get it off the inter net. It looks like new after four years.The money we pay for these thing, you want to protect your investment.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daysu47:

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey, buy him any kind of cleaners and wax he prefers. How about introducing me to your friend, I need cleaning and waxing on our coach also and would be willing to purchase products for doing so.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Maybe this is just a lazy man's way but I use Protect-All. It works pretty well on all surfaces, wipes on and off with no strain, and you can buy it anywhere. My 2 cents.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steelhead_bluesman:
.... I use Protect-All. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Amen to that! I use it too. That's my kind of wax job - easy on and easy off!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I use J Wax Liquid Car Wash (made by Turtle Wax) on my full body paint coach -- wet the rig, apply the liquid car wash from a bucket with a sponge (for scrubbing bugs, etc) or a brush. Rinse off. No need to dry. Works great for me on both MH and toad.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have used a variety of cleaners for getting off the oxidation. But, I found that "Protect All's, Fiberglass Oxidation Remover and Color restorer works best and easiest for the oxidation problems. I use NuFinish liquid polish for a real nice shine.

To help with on off of each I have purchased two 6" hand held buffers (orange) from Walmart for $15 each, and this sure made life much easier. The buffer stage really comes out shiny.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the input. Dunnpe, that Walmart buffer, is it orbital, does it leave swirl marks?

Dieselclacker, sorry, but he only does works for me cheap because my DW feeds him and maintains a supply of Coke Cola for him.

I was told that the Mirguire's and Mothers products work real good. Any comments?

Again, thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
NuFinish will last 10 times longer then other waxes. And yes , you will have to wear sunglasses because of the high gloss shine.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Autofish , I notice your first post. Welcome to the forum.com
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Best wax to use is a very interesting topic. Everyone has an opinion.

I have always been a believer if it goes on easy, then it doesn't last long. And a few years ago, that was true.
But, I have been pretty impressed with some of the new technology wax/polishes. One thing to remember, is that there is polish and there is wax. Some polishes will really shine it up good, but they really don't offer a true protection.
I have shown motorcycles and cars for many years and I have always been pleased with Meguiers (both professional products and consumer).
Also, I did some experimenting with the new Turtle ICE, and after about 6 weeks, I have been real impressed. Time will tell how well it will hold up.
The main thing about wax is that whatever you use, it will come off. So, it is better to do it regularly.
Just my opinion, but I have never seen a wash-on product that would last more than a couple of washes.
jimalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Daysu47,
The walmart buffer is Orbital and I have not seen one swirl at any stage. I started out with one of the large 10" car buffers you all see and then went to get something that was easier to use in the vertical position for the sides. When I started the top, I had a lot of work to do and I was just changing the pads constantly for the oxidation treatement then the polish and that got real tedious so I bought the second on and never looked back, just enjoying the shine.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
Living The Dream

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimalee:

I have always been a believer if it goes on easy, then it doesn't last long. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too --- always felt "suffering builds character!" Now, after all those years of suffering, I find my arms are permanently sore and I've turned into a real "character!"

Seriously, after SO many years of paste wax, I now use Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax - works great (and my arms aren't so sore - not sure I'm any less of a character, though).
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

My Winnie book says to use a liquid wax that doesn't contain silicon. It suggest McGuire wax by name and I think if you go to the maintenance area on the Winnis site they have some info there.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:59 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

When a Coach Builder recommends a product by NAME I get a little skeptical, they could be in the tank for making a profit at your expense.
Just food for thought.
I've used NuFinish and Mothers paste wax for years and my 03 looks like new still, especially with the gel-coat finish, no paint that's saying some.
NuFinish is also recommended for fiberglass.
Fiberglass expands and contracts more then painted metal. Even if wax lasts for a year you need to keep it up. Wax/Polish in the hot sun will turn yellowish over a period of time.
OK Grasshopper! Wax on, Wax off!
That was a joke, I really didn't mean Grasshoppers can use wax, no matter what brand it is...
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Maguires and only Maguires. Recommended by paint shop who painted coach for 'Bago. Currently using 'Gold Classic'. It works. Used it on 2 motorhomes. Use the paste, not liquid.

Never had decent sucess with any Turtle Wax product. Using TW products is like using Fram filters. Waste of $$.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

303, UV and fade control, and it's a lot easier---------

But, that's why they make so many products for us to use!

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote