Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What Tire Pressure Do You Recommend?

I've got a recently acquired Sunstar LX 27N and I'm not sure what the tire pressure should be. What do you recommend?
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

LOTS of discussion over the years on this topic. I believe you will find that seasoned/knowledgeable RVers agree that the process should begin by weighing your rig as you would normally have it loaded for travel; e.g., full fuel, 1/2 tank fresh water, empty holding tanks, and whatever food, clothing, tools, folding chairs etc, etc you normally take. With these axle weights in hand, enter the tire manufacturer's load tables (Google the charts up) and find the recommended pressure for your tires. These "cold" inflation pressures will give you the best handling and best ride. Most folks add a few psi to the values listed in the inflation table to cover added passengers, contingencies or whatever .... knowing that tire failures are caused by under inflation..........not over inflation.

The manufacturer of your coach provides tire inflation pressures on a sticker somewhere on your rig. These pressures are "worst case" in nature; i.e., they assume you are always loaded clear up to the GAWRs for the chassis. If you travel light, you probably are not loaded up to the Gross Axle Weight Ratings; hence, you would have more pressure in your tires than needed.

Suggestion: Get your rig weighed and keep the weight ticket in your coach. Truck stops usually only charge about $10 for this valuable service.

Safe travels.............
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Itasca Sunstar Owner

I would have to agree with "youracman". Get your coach weighed as soon as possible fully loaded. When we got our coach (2015 Sunstar 35f) the tire pressure stated on the stickers said 90psi. When we looked up the tire charts from Michelin the pressures for our weight was around 75-80psi. So I compromised and filled my tires to 85psi. It sure made a difference in the ride. Not as rough. I don't feel I am under inflated at this psi and it helps when the tires get hot. My tpms warning used to go off because the tires were hot and the pressures went form 90psi to close to 120psi.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There is a sticker on the wall by the driver's seat, on the 2015 27N it was 82 PSI for all 6 tires. Whatever is on that sticker is the MINIMUM cold pressure you want every morning before you drive. With Winnebago, this pressure is not already too high, it is pretty much the minimum. They seem to choose the minimum to maximize ride comfort. The Goodyear tires on the Vista increase pressure substantially as the coach is driven, after driving a few hours the pressures will be between 90 and 100 PSI , this is OK and normal per the Goodyear G670 information web pages on Goodyear's web site. FYI the Goodyear G670 information pages confirm that you never want to run the tires under 82 PSI on your Vista RV.

Personally I set my tires cold pressure at 5 % or 4 PSI more than that when I check and air up the tires, so that I can set up the tires and not mess with them for several weeks at a time.

I use CrossFire tire equalizers on the inside/outside dual tires on each in the rear. Keeping the inner/outer tires equal pressure minimizes rear tire wear. The CrossFires also have integrated stainless steel braided extensions and have a convenient outside facing fill port for checking / adding air and for a TPMS sensor.

I also use Tire Pressure Monitoring System so I don't have to check my tires daily.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Like others have already said - Have the coach weighed as it will be for travel and if you do not have all the people inside at the moment its done be sure to add their weight in. Take the heaviest load on each axel and inflate all tires per axle based on that heaviest weight allowing for the additional weight of any missing occupants. Some will use bags of play sand, dog food or whatever else they commonly get in bulk to place in seating positions normally occupied while traveling if they can't round every one up to have them in the coach for the weigh in.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My 27 N sticker says 82 psi, which is also the minimum for that model Goodyear tire.

When I max out the weight on each axle, tanks full, lots of gear, etc, that 82 psi is still the correct number.

My guess is that if Goodyear allowed it, an empty coach would be around 70 psi and a full one would be about 80.

Before I found all this out, I ran 90 to 100 psi, and the ride and the handling were TERRIBLE.

My 2 cents is that 82 psi is plenty for your rig.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
My 27 N sticker says 82 psi, which is also the minimum for that model Goodyear tire.

When I max out the weight on each axle, tanks full, lots of gear, etc, that 82 psi is still the correct number.

My guess is that if Goodyear allowed it, an empty coach would be around 70 psi and a full one would be about 80.

Before I found all this out, I ran 90 to 100 psi, and the ride and the handling were TERRIBLE.

My 2 cents is that 82 psi is plenty for your rig.
Thanks DanHannah that's exactly what I was looking for. I live in a small community on top of a 4,500' mountain and the closest weigh station is a two hour drive down then back up a winding road. I was thinking the same thing as you suggested but was going to go for 90PSI, but now after your post, I'm going to go for a nice round 85 PSI all the way around. Easy to remember and set up on the TPMS. Thanks again.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure