Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #1

What is the best 'glue' to use in replacing a couple of screws that have been pulled out from the fiberglass? It's the latch to the entry door and has pulled out twice; would like to find something that won't yank the latch off on a windy day!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #2

What is the best 'glue' to use in replacing a couple of screws that have been pulled out from the fiberglass? It's the latch to the entry door and has pulled out twice; would like to find something that won't yank the latch off on a windy day!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
What is the best 'glue' to use in replacing a couple of screws that have been pulled out from the fiberglass? It's the latch to the entry door and has pulled out twice; would like to find something that won't yank the latch off on a windy day! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Filling the holes with a dowel and then drilling a pilot hole to start the screw in should suffice. I you wish any exterior wood glue to give added grab to the dowel should work. If the wind is so strong that it has been pulling out the latch that holds your entry door open then you may be leaving it latched open on days when it is too windy to do so. On days when the wind is gusting past 20 mph it probably would be a good idea to not leave the door latched open.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:17 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Put some epoxy on the screw threads and then run the screws down but don't tighten them. After the epoxy sets up tighten the screws.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I like the epoxy idea for an easy and permanent solution.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I am having a similar issue with my kitchen slidecover bracket.The screw are stripping out and think I may have some water coming in.I am going to try epoxy,thanks.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Richard, my 34 has the same problem. Let me know what you decide to use.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

JB Weld is a two part epoxy that is very good. Its sold at any hardware store or Home Depot. You can buy it in a 4 minute hardening time or overnight fix.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon p:
Richard, my 34 has the same problem. Let me know what you decide to use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that I will try the JB Weld that Sammie has suggested. Right now I want to put the catch back on the side of the MH; I don't think I'll use it anymore. I think it's a crummy design anyway; anytime you want the exterior door open you have to grab a cheesy rod and insert it into the catch on the door and the side of the MH. Seems a little hokey to me, though I realize that part of the problem is that the awing is right there, so you can't open the door completely.

I bought a 10" catch and latch and will size it up to see how that looks; the JB Weld should come in handy for that installation too.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon p:
Richard, my 34 has the same problem. Let me know what you decide to use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that I will try the JB Weld that Sammie has suggested. Right now I want to put the catch back on the side of the MH; I don't think I'll use it anymore. I think it's a crummy design anyway; anytime you want the exterior door open you have to grab a cheesy rod and insert it into the catch on the door and the side of the MH. Seems a little hokey to me, though I realize that part of the problem is that the awing is right there, so you can't open the door completely.

I bought a 10" catch and latch and will size it up to see how that looks; the JB Weld should come in handy for that installation too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JB Weld and other two part epoxies are great but those latches will break and you will have to get the base unglued afterwards. Also the chances of now having a blowout of your sidewall is much greater if the screws are permanently epoxied to the subsurface material and someone pulls on the door or a stiff gust comes along and the latch does not break.

Every design has some compromise and this is one that people are all over the place with. Some put a plastic latch designed to break off, others use screws that will pull out and still others design it so that the door itself will break or the hinges pull out instead.

Changing things so that you will may have to repair fiberglass that has been ripped off the sidewall because the epoxy grabbed it all may not be the best idea.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

If its just the screw hole thats stripped out, try using one of those small plastic drywall anchors. You can even put some JB Weld on the anchor before you put it in. Then after it has dryed screw in the screw.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks richard, The plastic drywall anchor sounds good also. I agree, they could have done a much better job with the catch for the door. My wife has pulled it out 2 times now