Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

What I learned

Well, as I posted, I spent the day at Winnebago Service Center in Forest City.

What I learned

The Winnebago line has a "travel lock." I'm not really sure of it's purpose but I have been told it is to hold the top of the slide-out in during strong side winds when going down the road. Some one help me there.

I learned that on the outside of the coach, each travel lock has a drain. It looks like a little button on the slide-out. That little button has drain holes. Once a month I should take a paper clip and push it in the holes and move it around to break up any dirt, dust, grime, etc., that may have gotten in there. I also learned that those darn travel locks have a tendency to twist, and in doing so they can crimp the hose that drains to those little buttons on the outside. The technician said he installed shims on all my travel locks to prevent that from happening any more.

I learned that the places that need caulking maintenance, really need caulking maintenance. I was told to use lacquer thinner and clean the caulked area thoroughly and then calk the area. I just had my roof inspected 3-4 months ago, and there is "cracking" on the calk where the roof joins the side. Sol, up I go, clean with the thinner, and re-caulk with approved substance

I learned - darn it's expensive to own a MH - worse than a boat!!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Look at it this way, they didn't charge you extra for the learning and instruction.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wayne M,
Nobody ever said owning one of these things was going to be cheap. Some are better than others, and, there's Lemons in every thing made. It's cool that you learned things that are important to keeping your coach in tip top shape. The more you learn, the better you can keep it in that shape and hopefully, when you're out using it, and your trips are problem free, you'll appreciate the "learning" of your maintenance tips. I know I do, and espcially from folks like yourself that share them on the net.
Thanks for the tips.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Any chance you have a photo of the 'travel lock drain'? You've got my curiosity up!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I thought that I had posted a picture of it some time ago, but I could not find it. I'll try and get one today and post it. If you look up near the top of the slide (outside), if you have a weep hole, you should see a round approximately 3/4" button with small nipple on it. That is the drain for the travel lock. I'll get a picture later.

On another note, one of the problems I had fix, re-occurred. I called Winnebago this morning and they will get me in Monday. Oh well - more lessons I guess. More pennies - maybe.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

That travel lock may well have saved our lives on the road from Idaho to a stop in Winnemucca. Pulling into a park in Winnemucca, we noticed that our driver's side slide was not in all the way on one side. Spewing onto the ground was hydraulic fluid. One of the lines had broken, and had it not been locked, I believe the slide and our daughter on the coach would have flown open.

By the way, breaking down in Winnemucca . . . not good. We still tell stories about the only repair game in town in 2009 being a unique character who only goes by the name "Vance."
Old 07-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

My slides are operated by electric motors.

On my big slide, passenger side - about 23 feet long, the weep holes are above the awning. You will have to get away from the coach to see them, or get on a ladder. I still have not taken a picture today.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wow...the price you pay to have a "W" painted on the side on your MH. Before any of you get your panties in a wad, its an inside joke pertaining to "Citrus".
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

"Citrus" is the affectionate name she uses in public. Jim is a friend. I only have one friend, and he volunteered.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I did not volunteer. We just love your wife enough to tolerate you.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1dgh View Post
By the way, breaking down in Winnemucca . . . not good.
I would add that doing anything in Winnemucca... except maybe taking on fuel is a bad idea.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Continuing with "What I Learned:"

We were getting ready to depart a site last week, and the "Jacks Down" bell would not shut off. I drove 35 miles before it quit. It drives DW absolutely crazy. I, on the other hand, just leave my hearing aids in the box. On the day of repair I prepared to drive to the site and raised the jacks. The bell stayed on. When I turned the key on for the tech, the jacks down bell was still dinging. yeah!

What I learned. The cap to the hydraulic reservoir is made of plastic with a dip stick on it. There is a "full" line. When I originally had taken the dip stick out it was locked down tight. So I just assumed that to measure the fluid I had to screw it all the way in. This is not the case. It only has to be screwed in hand tight. To screw it all the way in requires a wrench or channel lock pliers to grip it. So now, I'll just hand tighten it to measure. When I measured, the dip stick showed about 1/8 inch or less below the full mark. Hey, that could be a turn or two, so I left it. Not to do. Fill it to the full mark. I was low on fluid, even though I thought it was within tolerance. There isn't a tolerance, it needs to be full.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

What I learned about the slide locks:
Any device, including the slide locks, which require a HOLE in the roof, will eventually leak. Mine did, and when I asked a tech (off the record) at GNR, he said the slide locks were an engineering nightmare and probably only put on to satisfy the company liability attorneys.
I learned that removing the lock assembly and using Eternabond and a plastic patch will seal the hole and prevent a leak. Probably forever.
I learned that when one of the HWH solenoids blew and I lost all hydraulic fluid, that even taking a corner at moderate speed (as I did BACK to Winnebago service after they had supposedly fixed it) the big slide on the turning side moved about 3 inches and stopped. Dead.
I learned that a 2X4 piece of lumber carried in the bay in case of hydraulic failure happens again is easier and cheaper then trying to keep a piece of poor engineering working. Plus I can use it to beat the engineer who designed the slide locks if I ever run into him.
BTW, 30K and never a problem NOT using the slide locks. The only slide I've ever had move was the small bedroom curbside due to vacuum, and it didn't come with a lock. Figures.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Continuing with "What I Learned:"

What I learned. The cap to the hydraulic reservoir is made of plastic with a dip stick on it. There is a "full" line. When I originally had taken the dip stick out it was locked down tight. So I just assumed that to measure the fluid I had to screw it all the way in. This is not the case. It only has to be screwed in hand tight. To screw it all the way in requires a wrench or channel lock pliers to grip it. So now, I'll just hand tighten it to measure. When I measured, the dip stick showed about 1/8 inch or less below the full mark. Hey, that could be a turn or two, so I left it. Not to do. Fill it to the full mark. I was low on fluid, even though I thought it was within tolerance. There isn't a tolerance, it needs to be full.
That's great stuff Wayne. Thanks for sharing! I think most of us would have made the same "assumption".

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
I learned that a 2X4 piece of lumber carried in the bay in case of hydraulic failure happens again is easier and cheaper then trying to keep a piece of poor engineering working.
Hey Keith - I'll show my ignorance. Can you explain your use of the 2x4 in case of hydraulic failure (not on engineer....on RV).
Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
Hey Keith - I'll show my ignorance. Can you explain your use of the 2x4 in case of hydraulic failure (not on engineer....on RV).
i don't know how keith does it...
i cut 3 2x4's to length and attached a short stout ribbon to each one. i use 2 in the overhead to block the front slide and one in the overhead to block the rear slide.
the ribbons are to flag that the boards must be removed prior to extending the slides.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I'm back at Winnebago Service, parked in the parking lot. I'm the "Granite" colored MH. (Granite being the color they said it was, but it's charcoal, with sliver and maroon swirls. Come on by and say hi.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i don't know how keith does it...
i cut 3 2x4's to length and attached a short stout ribbon to each one. i use 2 in the overhead to block the front slide and one in the overhead to block the rear slide.
the ribbons are to flag that the boards must be removed prior to extending the slides.
I don't use the ribbons - but I do leave a big nail in one just in case I meet that engineer...

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote