Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Rkh

What caulk/sealant do I use...Confused

Subject has been covered over and over yet I'm still unclear. The Winnebago support site where I can see the sealant call outs simply provide p/n but don't say what the stuff is..I know I can call Winnebago order it, just want to know my options..
What does Winnebago use along the length of the roof edges near the j channel? What do they use along the width of the front and rear end caps. What do they use around vents, AC, and other stuff on the roof? Can a tube of dicor be used in all these areas? Will it stick to what is already there after I clean it well?
I don't have any leaks yet but this is an older Chieftain, 1998 33w.
The stuff along the edges and end caps looks white and slick. The stuff around the vents, ac, appears to be a dull putty color, maybe its dirty, but not slick..
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I do not know what they recommend but I use Dicor self leveling on all seam repairs
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Rkh

Trackman, thanks..by seams, you are referring to what? Do you use dicor around the vents and ac units?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Might be the Dicor and might not. On our Newmar they specify the Dicor self leveling on everything EXCEPT the skylight as the Dicor isn't compatible with the plastic. I have put Dicor over what was on the skylight with no problems. But next year looks like a complete remove and redo of all the sealant areas.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

So this brings up the question. Can I use Eternabond instead of the sealant/caulk. I was planning on cleaning my gutter/j chanel this fall and using Eternabond for the entire length of the coach. Is that OK
Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Rkh

See? Here we go...differing "opinions"
Mr D..are you removing and replacing because of a problem with the dicor? Why would you need to do this after just applying the sealant?

I will bite the bullet and call Winnebago tomorrow and post their comments..
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Dicor being self levelling is not recommended on vertical seams, it will try to flow. I have found 3M 5200 is one time high end caulk, good on flat and vertical. It is polyurethane based, so it can have more of the same caulk added if needed-unlike silicone. Got mine at Grainger. Did front and rear cap and two months later it is still white.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Rkh

Talked with Winnebago HQ this am...Winnebago MH's used a silicone based sealant everywhere on the coach until about 2005 when they switched to urethane based sealants. So, my 1998 Chieftain has a silicone based sealant on its roof edges, end caps, vents, ac, etc etc...
I cant use any non silicone based sealant for repair or maintenance unless I remove all the silicone sealant. Nothing will stick to silicone but silicone. Since my roof is not leaking now, I will probably just clean with alcohol and re-apply on areas that look questionable.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Call Winnebago back and ask them what to clean the seals with. It's not alcohol but a "Thinner" based material. I just resealed mine last year but I don't recall exactly but it was not alcohol.

Trying to remove all the silicone to put urethane sealer in would be a real pain and there would be spots that just would not adhere because of thin coats of silicone. Best to do what Winni said and use silicone. Clean the surfaces real, real good. Silicone is fussy when it comes to sticking to things.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Rkh

Hi Wayne, if by seals, you simply mean anywhere there is silicone, Winnebago told me to use alcohol and a mild scratchy pad...I guess the idea, as you said, is to get it darn clean...