Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Both of our slides that have the power gear system have failed. Well they started making excessive noise and our dealer has repaired both by replacing the entire system. The dealer said the housing was cracked. We are hoping these replacements are upgraded improved parts but have no idea. Our coach has less then 6000 miles on it. We are hopeful this has been resolved as we love the layout and overall we feel the quality of our coach is good. The best thing is that Winnebago backs their products and I feel confident they will work to make things right.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Yes the new design is louder and faster than the original design. It is more robust with more powerful motors. Don't be alarmed by the volume level, just make sure you follow deployment and retraction procedures to a "T".

1) coach is leveled
2) engine running on fast idle
3) check voltage, must be above 13 volts constant
4) operate slide and conclude with below:

Hold the switch until you hear BOTH motors click and go silent when the slide reaches it's stop (both coming "in" and going "out"). I hold the switch up to 8 seconds for good measure.

Regards,
W.D.

It seems to me LCI should add interlocks that notify you the engine is not running fast enough to have the alternator producing enough voltage. Maybe a low voltage/idle speed light to clue the RV'r to go to fast idle or at least check the battery voltage?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Super View Post
The best thing is that Winnebago backs their products and I feel confident they will work to make things right.
Martin, I had my kitchen slide fit with the new design before a big disaster occurred, (it was starting to make some bad noises and such). They did the job at the factory in Forest City no questions asked free of charge, and I was nearly a year out of warranty.

This has been such a headache for everyone, that I don't believe it's even on the warranty radar.

Regards,
W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

My right side forward slide motors/gear were replaced by WBGO gratis after problems ... new system has worked great.

Question: On the fixed track system the recommended lube was CRC w/PFTE - and I did that consistently. On the new floating track system the WBGO installer recommended not using a lube. What are you guys hearing / doing?
Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I always have followed your procedure and yet we still have had slide failures on both of our slim rack power gear slides. But I agree with you on the procedure and feel that my slide failures were due to defective parts, or design, or sloppy installation at the factory. Keeping my fingers crossed and planning on many trips this year.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
It seems to me LCI should add interlocks that notify you the engine is not running fast enough to have the alternator producing enough voltage. Maybe a low voltage/idle speed light to clue the RV'r to go to fast idle or at least check the battery voltage?
Those are darn good ideas.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

In my opinion, the video above falls short on what needs to be lubricated on the Schwintec slides. The video only describes the jibs as needing lubrication so the bearing block can move in&out as the out of square slide travels in and out.

I think the "bearing block hook" that fits in the rack also needs lubrication. The hook is the part that pulls and pushes the bearing block in and out on the jibs as the out of square slide travels in and out. The hook is also responsible for keeping the teeth of the pinion gear properly meshed into the rack teeth. Once the hook starts to wear away, problems will follow.

I also spray the entire length of rack teeth the pinion gear meshes into.

The reason I mention the "out of square slides" is that after measuring mine, I found the slide length on the outside was different than the length of the slide up next to the coach. This out of square condition will give the slide components a workout each time the slide is deployed.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
My right side forward slide motors/gear were replaced by WBGO gratis after problems ... new system has worked great.

Question: On the fixed track system the recommended lube was CRC w/PFTE - and I did that consistently. On the new floating track system the WBGO installer recommended not using a lube. What are you guys hearing / doing?
When Winnebago at Forest City replaced our bedroom slide mechanism I asked a lot of questions. One was should I lube the slide mechanism. He suggested spraying the geared tracks with CRC w/PFTE. When I lube the tracks I notice that the operation is quiter.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #29
Winnebago Watcher

One would think, with all the years slides have been used and all the tech available, someone, somewhere would make a dependable, foolproof slide operation....haven't heard of one yet though
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:23 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Hi all- interesting and insightful thread! I have a 2013 Journey 40U with three Schwintech slides, one of which is the main galley and sofa slide. The slide out mechanism was replaced when we bought the unit a month ago (bought it used with 28K miles). We've noticed that the main galley slides makes a loud popping noise at the slide motor on front side of slide while traveling over bumpy roads. Any tips for dampening this? I've heard lubrication might help?

Also, seeing that we full time and move around every couple of weeks, I get the feeling that we'll have a slide failure sooner than later. Do any of you recommend being proactive with the replacement to the new Power Gear mechanism, and if so, how to go about it?

Thanks in advance!
SNLCORV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNLCORV View Post
Do any of you recommend being proactive with the replacement to the new Power Gear mechanism, and if so, how to go about it?

Thanks in advance!
Hello and welcome to the forum! I do recommend being proactive in the slide mechanism replacement/upgrade. I did. When I started to hear the first foreign noise coming from it I made the call to the factory. They did the upgrade free of charge at the factory in Forest City Iowa. At the time of my visit, the head man was there from Lippert/Powergear. They ran it once (out) and said I was correct in my assessment that failure was in the near future.

Prior to that I lubed the track and gears with CRC Power Lube with PTFE. You can do this as well until you get the upgrade done, and after too. In addition, don't forget, keep motors calibrated, level coach, engine running, check voltage (13+ volts present on chassis) before running slides.

Give the factory a call 800-537-1885 and tell them what's happening. They will advise you further. Keep us posted, safe travels.......

Regards,
W.D.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

I also lubed the tracks as suggested in the post above. It made a huge difference. No, I don't have it anymore, but 3 years of experience with them taught me a lot.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=RobbieH;3480064I also lubed the tracks as suggested in the post above. It made a huge difference. No, I don't have it anymore, but 3 years of experience with them taught me a lot.[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks Robbie! I was wishing while I was typing my last post that I had the very same video you posted handy to illustrate. I've studied it but never saved a copy. Thanks again for putting that up here.

Regards,
W.D.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
One would think, with all the years slides have been used and all the tech available, someone, somewhere would make a dependable, foolproof slide operation....haven't heard of one yet though
There is a system that has been used for years and it is the hydraulic system/s made by HWH in Moscow, IA. Winnebago used them until they decided to lower cost and go for the flimsy Lippert stuff. While no mechanical system is entirely foolproof, the HWH systems have a great reputation for reliability. Also the older Powergear system (before they were acquired by Lippert) is pretty reliable.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:15 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Hey thanks Robbie! I was wishing while I was typing my last post that I had the very same video you posted handy to illustrate. I've studied it but never saved a copy. Thanks again for putting that up here.

Regards,
W.D.
No problem, like I said I learned a lot about these within 3 years of ownership.

Here is the link to the lube:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P1E7ZS

And here's the link on proper operation and re-timing:

NOTE: Always hold for 5 or so seconds after all the way in and all the way out. It will save headaches. The video I just posted mentions this too.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

[emoji106] [emoji106]

Tags
slide