Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

WET!!!!!!basement bay

I hope I can do this video. This is what it looks like when your bays leak on a 2014 Forza 38R. My dealer said he fixed the leak. Ha ha ha what do you think?
Attached Files
Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
GG1
Winnie-Wise

They did a nice job,,,,,,if your a duck, whats the dealers name and location?
Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Forzatm, If this bay is next to a wheel well, it is a very common problem with Winnebagos. The seams around the wheels are not sealed well. I have had this issue and have delt with it by cleaning the well very thoroughly with special attention to the seams. I then spray them with an undercoating spray available at auto parts stores. Some of theses undercoating actually expand a bit and tend to fill the seams well on the sheet metal. It will take a good three or so coats of the spray to get the job done. That has been my experience and it worked for me.
len poleshaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The issue has not been addressed. At least based on experience with my new Forza 36G. During the walk thru water was all over the the basement from the wash and wax performed. Its on my punch list along with a few other misc items.
moechester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Forzatm:

When I had our 34T Solei, I asked Winnebago if they had any recommendations on what I could do to prevent this from happening. Their first response was that the basement bays were NOT supposed to leak. NO **** was my initial reaction to their answer. All I can say, is you're on your own as to how to fix this. I did something similar to Len's advice. But the ultimate fix was to trade it and my TOAD in on a FW and a truck. Smartest thing I ever did.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Forzatm did you ever get you leaking bay areas fixed? If so, what was the solution? Thanks
BoeingSWTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Boeing. My Forza is at the dealership now getting punch list stuff fixed. Leaking doors were on my list. Along with the leaking doors my doors would fly open sometimes at random. On my Forza the big problem is doors were out of adjustment. This seems to be the cause of the leaking and flying open problem. My dealer stated he pressure washed the doors after the adjustments were made and no leaking. Test drove the rig and no doors coming open at random. Door adjustment seemed to be the root cause of my leaking.
moechester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Keep after bad dealers and don't let them get away with this. If you report them to Winnebago they do take action. I had a problem with a lazy service adviser at a very large dealership who would make all sorts of false claims and one call to Winnebago to report them got everything back on track. If you present yourself as a victim who really likes his Winnebago and needs their help with a dealer who is making their products look bad you get a lot better response then if you call making demands or sounding adversarial.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Had the same issue on the PS with the compartment in front of the rear axle. Fixed it with roofing cement. Found the spray on stuff really didn't last long as there is road debris tossed around in the wheel wells. Had to lift the hinged panel around the rear wheel to get enough room to apply it properly. Has lasted well and I expect it to continue to last for some time. Lots of good roofing materials that are an order of magnitude better and stickier than most auto stuff so check the stores. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Not fixed!!! But Maybe????

I have been working on this for a long time. This problem has bugged the hell out of me. I have sprayed water all around the door on the fresh water side and I cannot get it to leak at all. Where is all this water coming in at? So I went back out, sprayed it again and again and again!!!!! I cannot get it to leak. A couple weeks went by so I started looking under the coach bay. I couldn't see anything at all until l looked at the sewer side. The two openings, the fresh water hose and the sewer hose are not sealed up enough on the underside. Even though it looks like there is some caulking, it is being forced up under the plastic tub and soaked up by the felt. The fresh water side is soaked with water and leaches into the other bays. I have sealed up the two openings on the other side with foam and covered up the foam with undercoating. I had previously undercoated both rear wheel wells and sprayed both sides with water and I cannot get it to leak again.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

A competant dealer would have hooked up a smoke machine a long time ago and taken care of all this at no charge under warranty. Plug any place smoke is leaking out where it shouldn't.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have 3 videos that are on my IPad and I am not tech savy and cannot figure out how to get them off my photo album onto this website. I have tried but they said the video is too large. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I had a friend upload a video for me on YouTube. It's called Water leak in the front windshield. My friend is no longer available to help me and I would love to post these videos but need help.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We just came through the tail end of the BIG rain storm in Louisiana and all of our bays were wet in our 2015 34T, So wet that a suitcase sitting up on a ladder 3" off of the floor was soaked. We also had water coming in most of the Windows. Yes, this was a big storm with rain about an inch an hour for over three hours while driving, but they still should not have leaked.

Does anyone have a real fix?
Old 03-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

That kind of rain, you shouldn't drive the RV. It's like using a pressure washer. Even when sitting I would pull in slides during rain like that.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
That kind of rain, you shouldn't drive the RV. It's like using a pressure washer. Even when sitting I would pull in slides during rain like that.
Sorry but I agree.
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

So the solution to leaking bays is to not drive in the rain?

I hope someone has a better mechanical fix or solution.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

This thread has been around a while, but I don't see much resolution. (Don't drive in the rain???)

Maybe my situation can help. The bays leaked on my Adventurer. The leaking one was big enough to climb into and look for daylight with the door closed. Nope, that wasn't it. I eventually found that where the wires for the lights came through the roof of the bins (mine was on the slideout) that water could enter inside the convoluted tubing used around the wires. Key to figuring it out is there was water in the lights. Filled the tubing with some silicone where it passed into the compartment and no more leak.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
So the solution to leaking bays is to not drive in the rain?

I hope someone has a better mechanical fix or solution.
Driving in the rain is one thing. The OP originally said they drove in rain falling 1 inch an hour for three hours. They also said the rain came in the windows.
I don't know any structure that could hold up to a 60mph battering of heavy rain and come away with no leaks.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:32 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

So the three possible solutions noted so far are:

1) Adjust the latch to ensure that the doors close
2) Coat the bottom and seems with sealant, and
3) Silicon seal around any wires entering the bay from outside

Any other possible fixes known (besides don't drive in the rain)?

By the way, we did use the app "Dark Sky" while driving to ensure that we were not in any rain greater than "green" meaning light to medium. We did not drive through any yellow or red. With online radar available that is only a few minutes lag, it is very possible to navigate (or stop) through these storms safely.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

The radar doesn't have to be yellow to have heavy rain. 1" per hour is a downpour. I am fulltime, which allows us the luxury of not spending a day driving through rain. I'm realize many work and have responsibilities to return to.
I know the window problem will be harder to address because they slide sideways.