Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Weather Pro Awning operation

Okay, here's one I never experienced before. I have a Weather Pro Electric Awning (A&E Dometic with rain dump and wind sensor functionality) on my coach. When the outside temperature is 70 deg F or below it works fine and goes out and in effectively. However, when the Temp approaches 75 or above it WILL NOT move (in or out). Any suggestions as to why and what I might look at? I am going to check the voltage at the motor tomorrow, but other than that I'm at a loss .
Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would think you might have a wind sensor seeing a bad temp. They are two thermisters; one heated, one not.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Okay, I really don't understand the wind sensor. It is turned off but what looks like a phone wire is plugged into the control box. When I unplug this wire I get a beeping sound. Where are these thermistors? What do they look like? Are they replaceable?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Itasca Meridian 36G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBEEBOP View Post
Okay, I really don't understand the wind sensor. It is turned off but what looks like a phone wire is plugged into the control box. When I unplug this wire I get a beeping sound. Where are these thermistors? What do they look like? Are they replaceable?
I have the 05 Meridian. In 05, the sensor is on the roof front. The phone wire connects to the sensor. When unplugged it thinks the sensor isn't working and beeps.

The wind sensor idea is nice, but these units are problematic. Mine has been replaced several times.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewilli View Post
I have the 05 Meridian. In 05, the sensor is on the roof front. The phone wire connects to the sensor. When unplugged it thinks the sensor isn't working and beeps.

The wind sensor idea is nice, but these units are problematic. Mine has been replaced several times.

Same thing here. Sometimes when I sneeze it will go up and on other occasions a hurricane won't make it budge !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The early sensor models did not have anything special on the top and reacted to the heat. The manufacturer added what looks like a shiny piece of foil to the top to reflect the heat. Does yours have the shiny top?
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yes my sensor unit has a reflective foil on top that I added when at the Tampa Suoer Show, Dometic gave them out. This was done quite a few years ago.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Itasca Meridian 36G

The newer version has a wind sensor on the awning arm and the sensor control box is adjustable. I have been trying to figure out how to convert.

Also another brand uses a motion sensor on the awning rather than a wind (which is really a temp variance) sensor. Motion seems more reliable.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Bitten once twice shy !!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Yuh???
Old 11-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Never trusted the wind sensor on my '05 Vectra 40FD. Got the rear basement door pinned open once too often.

On the righthand awning arm is the power plug. Have emery cloth or something similar and some antioxidant grease on hand. Can be found at HD or Lowe's in the electrical department. Open the awning and shut the power off to it. Unplug the connector and clean the prongs. Very sparingly apply the grease to the prongs. Check the female connectors for spreading. If the gap in the terminal seems to be opened too much pinch the connector with pliers just enough to tighten the ports. Plug it back together and put everything back in place. I hope this fixes your problem.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 11-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

When I first bought my 06 Meridian, I thought I'd give the wind-sensing awning a try...I took the coach to a very windy area and put out the awning. I had winds in excess of 35 mph and the awning never even tried to come in. I read and checked all of the electronics but still no movement. From that day forward, I treat my awning just like it was a manual awning: If I'm going to be there, it's extended. If I leave the coach, it's retracted. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Sensor was pulled and it comes in any time we leave. The automatics never proved themselves to me

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The old style Dometic wind sensor, as mentioned above, checks for temperature differential, and using an algorithm, attempts to determine sustained wind speed over a 30 second period. Short brisk gusts will not be detected properly. Dometic recommends testing the wind sensor by using a hair dryer on high speed, no heat, 4-6" away from the sensor for 30 seconds sustained. As mentioned above, it's entirely possible your sensor needs replaced.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

A&E depending on the age, has one of two wind sensors.

Newer ones use a motion sensor in I think the "Front" arm, if the arm starts bobbing around in the wind, it rolls it up.

Older ones have a "Lighthouse" on the roof of the motor home, this is about 3-4" in diamater, and perhaps 4 inches high round thing and is usually right over the box with the A&E label inside the motor home.

I can't help you with the motion sensors as I've never seen one, let alone used one.

But the lighthouse is crap. It has never worked properly (Why they switched) and well.. I fliped the wind sensor disable to get mine to work.. If there is danger of wind enough to damage I take it up manually.. And when it's out I tie it down like you would a manual awning.

I DO not recommend tying automatic awnings down, normally, but with that switch flipped it's a manual.

WARNING: As with all manual awnings, this switch also disables (it appears) the ignition interlock.. Either that or the ignition interlock does not work well anyway.

This lets you do a Robin Williams (Movie RV)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Never trusted the wind sensor on my '05 Vectra 40FD. Got the rear basement door pinned open once too often.

On the righthand awning arm is the power plug. Have emery cloth or something similar and some antioxidant grease on hand. Can be found at HD or Lowe's in the electrical department. Open the awning and shut the power off to it. Unplug the connector and clean the prongs. Very sparingly apply the grease to the prongs. Check the female connectors for spreading. If the gap in the terminal seems to be opened too much pinch the connector with pliers just enough to tighten the ports. Plug it back together and put everything back in place. I hope this fixes your problem.

Happy trails,
Rick
thanks for this Rick
would have pics?
thanks!
peter
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

not sure what's with our awning - but sometimes i need to get the ladder out and manually assist the the motor arm 'get started' the intended action (i.e., going in or going out). other times the awning goes by itself in or out using the toggle switch. when i say 'get started', its like it needs some additional muscle to get going. on going, it completes the intended action (i.e., going out or going in)

as for wind / automatic response - like others have noted; sometimes it works, sometimes it don't :-)

thanks everyone,
pdq
Old 11-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
not sure what's with our awning - but sometimes i need to get the ladder out and manually assist the the motor arm 'get started' the intended action (i.e., going in or going out). other times the awning goes by itself in or out using the toggle switch. when i say 'get started', its like it needs some additional muscle to get going. on going, it completes the intended action (i.e., going out or going in)

as for wind / automatic response - like others have noted; sometimes it works, sometimes it don't :-)

thanks everyone,
pdq
I don't know which manufacturer you have. I think mine was A&E on my last coach but I am not certain now. I had the motor replaced because it failed. When I examined the old one I found that it was assembled wrong. A washer was in the wrong location. The motor screws were rubbing. The motor was restricted from turning.

Learn the procedure for removing your motor safely and inspect it. This could be your problem. Send me a private message and I will see if I still have the old motor. I will send it to you. If it works you can pay me as you feel is fair.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 11-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

thanks Rick
yes, our awning is an A&E
not sure if it motor failure or not
do you have any info on learning about removing the motor to inspect it?
thanks again
pdq
Old 11-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
thanks Rick
yes, our awning is an A&E
not sure if it motor failure or not
do you have any info on learning about removing the motor to inspect it?
thanks again
pdq
My checking about this leads me to believe that A&E and Dometic are the same. If you don't know the model your manufacturer should be able to tell you.

Here is a link to Dometic and awning manuals. When you know what you have pick the appropriate manual. http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ation-Manuals/

Bad news about my motor. I think DW threw it out the other day. I was careless and left it next to a pile of junk. She cleaned the junk up, along with the motor.

If the motor is dragging on the screws as mine was it won't work correctly. It is small and the extra resistance may be enough the cause it to overheat and stop. It has built-in protection.

As I recall, it is not a difficult process to change. But reading and following the steps gives success a greater chance and avoids injury. I am sorry I can't find my copy for you.

Get some of this stuff and spray all of the moving parts. A decision in the forum about it was very encouraging so I bought some. I use it on anything that moves, including my jack. So far so good. CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE, 11 oz Aerosol Can, Light Amber/White: Amazon.com: Automotive

Hope you give us a good report soon. Happy trails,
Rick

Tags
awning