Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have the Weather Pro awning on our 2005 38G Adventurer, and we like it generally. However, after a rain, it always dumps a ton of water at the exact point that it finishes rolling up. After observing it carefully, it appears that water collects in the "gutter" that the metal cover makes when the awning is extended. Then, after a rain, the awning itself has no collected water. But the metal cover has formed a gutter which has collected a bunch of water. When the awning retracts, at the very last minute, when the metal cover closes, it dumps a bunch of water, dripping over my nice clean MH.

Anybody else noted the same phenomenon? Any solutions?

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have the Weather Pro awning on our 2005 38G Adventurer, and we like it generally. However, after a rain, it always dumps a ton of water at the exact point that it finishes rolling up. After observing it carefully, it appears that water collects in the "gutter" that the metal cover makes when the awning is extended. Then, after a rain, the awning itself has no collected water. But the metal cover has formed a gutter which has collected a bunch of water. When the awning retracts, at the very last minute, when the metal cover closes, it dumps a bunch of water, dripping over my nice clean MH.

Anybody else noted the same phenomenon? Any solutions?

Old 03-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I do and it is not a problem for me.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

When retracting the awning after a rain I make a point of not standing under it next to the MH.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

While we are on the topic of awnings "dumping" ... I no longer stand next to my slides when DW retracts them after a rainstorm ... I learned that from the school of hard knocks (perhaps school of cold shower would be more accurate)

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

This "problem?" is easily solved by using the jacks to dump the water from the awning. You'll also dump the water from the slide awnings. In fact my Winnebago motorhome manual states to tilt the motorhome before retracting the slides if it has recently rained.

-Tom
parked in Crystal River, FL until April 1
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Janjanjan:
--snip-- When the awning retracts, at the very last minute, when the metal cover closes, it dumps a bunch of water, dripping over my nice clean MH.

Anybody else noted the same phenomenon? Any solutions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ah - yes.. there is a carefully designed water route from the awning to head-level as you stand at the door and push the button for awning retract. After getting a bath a couple of times, I finally decided that I need to retract the awning from inside the coach

I also learned another lesson about toppers and frozen precipitation - do not retract a slide while you have a coating of ice on the material. The material made a nice "U" shape on top of the slide instead of rolling up as the slide retracted. I thought for sure our recently replaced topper was going to need yet a second replacement (first one tore.) Good for us - no permanent damage was apparently done.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:08 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I use my remote control for my big awning when I retract it after a rain. Works for me. I also de-level slightly when I retract the slideouts right before I squeegie the front and back sides.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Tilting the motorhome before retracting the slides shortly after a rain makes sense to me, my only concern would be if the slides might bind from the motorhome "flexing" a little from the tilting? Or are we talking about retracting the levelers first and then the slides and does this prevent and "flexing" that may cause a problem?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, all. After one personal drenching, I did realize that standing anywhere near the door while retracting was a fool's move. I still hate the water dumping down the side of the MH and the kitchen and door window. But, if that's the way it is, so be it.