Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2006, 03:36 AM   #21
Administrator Emeritus

Ok....now ya posted a picture with people in it and didn't tell us who they were....

Is that Mrs. N. chatting with a neighbor?

Better than that,does Mrs. N. know ya just posted her pic on the internet?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:50 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

I think the A&E design would work really well (dipping and dumping) if it had a good rake to it. A few days ago I saw a 2004 Horizon 40QD with no curb-side slide and the A&E had a much greater down angle than mine with the curb-side slide.

I am going to try to get Winnie to lengthen the canvas some so that we have more of an angle to it. They may not be agreeable to do this due to chafe issues with the slide topper. They were supposed to test my dip/dump last week at the factory, but I don't know if that happened. Hopefully we will get some resolution next week when we have a second factory service visit.

Regarding the awning not retracting or retracting in a light breeze.. A&E will send you a "kit" which consists of a silver disc that you stick on top of the wind sensor 'hat.' A&E was having heat issues causing false inputs to the controller box. Since I applied the silver disc, the wind performance is now fairly reliable.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:02 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I noticed in Tom's picture that the lower arms on his awning end up straight when extended. Mine do not. After reading some of the old posts, this sounds like it could be a problem. Some have been able to get a longer awning fabric to correct this issue. Should I be contacting Dometic or Winnebago? Or am I worrying about nothing?
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:30 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ok....now ya posted a picture with people in it and didn't tell us who they were.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's Jean, the next door neighbor, Mrs Tom N and I don't know who that guy is in the doorway!!
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:46 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

You are a wizard with photo software. Extremely good job on the picture LOL LOL

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:50 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ok....now ya posted a picture with people in it and didn't tell us who they were.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's Jean, the next door neighbor, Mrs Tom N and I don't know who that guy is in the doorway!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:52 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

I've been out west all winter and it has be pretty windy. I have not been able to put my awning out that much to get a better feel for it. As I said earlier, I could not depend on it coming in with the wind. Now I see from John's post that there is a possible fix so it looks like I will be calling A&E on Monday to get this magic disk.

As far as mildew, that is what I read in the manual - again, not enough experience with the awning - but that is good to know that it is not that suseptible to mildew.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-29-2006, 04:54 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

And he looks almost 6' 5" tall too.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-29-2006, 05:38 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Don Rickles ?
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:18 AM   #30
Administrator Emeritus

I deserved that....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:18 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
I think the A&E design would work really well (dipping and dumping) if it had a good rake to it. A few days ago I saw a 2004 Horizon 40QD with no curb-side slide and the A&E had a much greater down angle than mine with the curb-side slide.

I am going to try to get Winnie to lengthen the canvas some so that we have more of an angle to it.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are there different length awnings for units w/o curb-side slides vs. w/ curb-side slides? I don't have a curb-side slide and mine has virtually no angle to it. However,like John I've seen other units w/o curb-side slides and their's has a significant angle. Does it have to do with the way they are installed?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:06 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Call Dometic customer service and they will have the answers to your questions. They are nice folks and will be glad to help you...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #33

Let me tell you what happened to us. At our last campout, the sites weren't very level. We put 1 board under the front levelers, but we should have used 2. So we were "tippin" a little down hill in the front. Not a big deal until it started to rain! Our awning was out and we knew it would tip to get rid of the rain. It tipped, but we were at too much of a slope and the tip wasn't enough to compensate for the angle of the coach. The rain came down soooo fast and heavy, that we thought the awning fabric would split in half. My husband uses crutches so me and our daughter in law used them to try and push the rain off the awning so we could retract it. What a sight we were out there in a thunder storm using metal crutches to push the water off the awning! But, we "got er done", put the awning in and didn't open her til we got home. I thought we might have to do like the RV Movie and drive away with it open.
The moral of the story:: If you have a Weather Pro awning, and you want it to tip the water off, make sure you aren't sloped down hill in the front.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:02 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Or better yet close it when it starts to rain.

It doesn't make sense to me, yet Dometic tells you it is only made for shade and only a very light rain. If anything happens to it in a downpour its yours and its a act of God.

Be careful with those metal crutches in a storm..Good Miles,,,Jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #35

I hear you. I thought we were going to pull a Ben Franklin out there ! Yes, we should have pulled it in sooner, but it came up so fast we didn't get to it in time. Live and Learn. We wish the old style awning had been on the coach. Gives you a lot more flexability and positions.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote