Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2008, 02:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

my weather pro beeping and the temperature is 65,the only way to open my awning is when i put the switch off on the black box.whats happen?
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

my weather pro beeping and the temperature is 65,the only way to open my awning is when i put the switch off on the black box.whats happen?
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here's what my WeatherPRO User's Guide says: "Note: The awning control box contains an audible alarm. This alarm will sound if the wind sensor is exposed to temperatures 30 degrees or below when the sensor switch is on or when the awning control has detected a problem either in the wind sensor feature or the wind sensor cable. If you hear a beeping sound coming from the control box when the sensor switch is in the 'ENABLE' (ON) position one of the above situations has occurred. When the alarm sounds the wind sensor feature is not functioning. Turn the sensor switch to the 'DISABLE' (OFF) position and wait till the ambient temperature is above 30 degrees F and turn switch back on. If alarm is still sounding contact a Dometic Service Center or a qualified service technician for assistance."

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi serge,
I've had this problem, several times. The bottom line, for me, was water. To make a long story short, either the wind sensor, control board or both are broke. When you get the awning repaired, have the tech remove the roof mounted wind sensor. Look to see if there is a hole in the roof, for the signal wire, that has not been sealed. Make sure the tech seals the hole. Next, have the tech drill a 3/16" hole at the bottom of the new sensor. This will allow water to drain from the sensor. The hole should face the rear of the coach.

It seems what happened to me was that water would get into the sensor housing and flow down the wire to the control board.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My control box is making the same "bleeping" sound. As stated above, the likely problem is the control board or the sensor or both. Does anyone have any troubleshooting data on this device? I would like to prove which part(s)is bad before I replace them (assuming I can find a source for parts).

I have searched this forum and cannot find instructions or pics of removal of the wind sensor. It appears to have a screw under the reflective foil top piece but I am reluctant to remove it until I'm sure that it can replaced. If anyone knows of a parts source, please post.

Nearest repair facility (that I trust) is about 200 miles round trip. With fuel cost running @ 60 cents/mile and shop rates @~100.00/hr I'm probably looking @ $300-400 to fix this thing. At that rate, I can probably afford to replace the sensor and control box myself if I can locate a parts source. Can anyone help with troubleshooting data and/or a parts source? Thanks.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I have the same problem and it has become permanent now. The only way to operate the awning is with the wind sensor off.

I also would like to know how to determine what component is at fault. I have not been able to get assistance from A&E other than the comment to take it to a dealer.

I have read somewhere on this site that if you have an earlier model (I believe prior to 2006) you have to replace the sensor along with control box as the new sensors are not compatible with the older model controller.

There have been plenty of posts regarding this wind sensor problem, so it doesn't seem to be incidental issue but looks to be a design problem.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

After watching the tech replace my parts on 3 different occasions, if there is a procedure to determine which one is bad, they are good at keeping it a secret.

The sensors and control boards have gone through several itterations since 2005. My wind sensor has mounting holes at the bottom and screws directly into the roof.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GaryKD:
After watching the tech replace my parts on 3 different occasions, if there is a procedure to determine which one is bad, they are good at keeping it a secret.

Gary, exactly my point. I think that they just replace parts until the thing starts working properly. If I can locate the parts I can do the same for less money and they don't have my coach to take naps in during the day.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a Weather Pro awning on my 03 Horizon. After the wind sensor stowed the awning in a slight breeze the first time I used it I turned off the sensor. If the awning is deployed and we are going to leave the coach I stow it. That is the beauty of the awning. I am surely not going to depend on the sensor to stow the awning while I am away from the coach. While snowbirding in FL the awning is deployed all of the time and anchored. The sensor is a smart thing for the manufacturer but I am not going to let it do my job.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 AM   #10
paz
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navy Flier:
While snowbirding in FL the awning is deployed all of the time and anchored. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just a word of caution about anchoring your awning. I used to think anchoring the awning was a safe way to protect it from wind until I read a thread right here on iRV2 about a quick storm that popped up last year at Myrtle Beach. Dozens of awnings at 2 neighboring beach-front campgrounds were severely damaged, including many that were anchored down. The wind ripped the fabric right off and left the frames standing, still anchored firmly to the ground.

We wintered in Florida last year and there were a couple of strong storms that blew up rather quickly and unexpectedly. Although it would have been nice to leave our awning out so we could leave our patio all set up, after reading what happened at Myrtle Beach, we stowed our awning almost every time we left the campground. Thankfully, the wind sensor did do its job one time we did leave the awning out when a storm popped up on an occasion when we were gone much longer than expected.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

5 years ago I was parked in Crystal River, FL when a microburst hit at midnight. It was all over in a minute. All extended awnings were damaged beyond repair except mine (~25). Most awnings were securely tied down. I repaired mine with parts from the huge pile of discarded awnings. The fins on roof top AC units were actually bent over.

-Tom

My buddy and next door neighbor from PA had stopped to see us. That's my old mh on the right.
This trailer was blown off it's stands and the shed was blown over even though it was anchored to the ground.
Tore the spring mechanism out of my awning and bent the steel rod.
The green chair came from the pool about 100 yards away. Killed the pink flamingo.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

While the comments about wind versus anchoring are appreciated we are fortunate enough at our winter campground to be surround by a virtual forest of palm and oak trees. They knock down the local wind from 25-30 knots to a light breeze. In four years no one in the campground has even had an awning flutter.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Par the Course also had tree cover. But one large one blew over in a storm last winter and totaled his new $50,000 5th wheel.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Carefree instruction manual specifically tells you not to tie down awnings. It will rip them right out of the track on the RV. I have seen this happen several times with considerable damage. Only safe way is put it up when there is a possibility of storms or high winds.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Anyone know if there is a way to take the top off the wind sensor housing without disturbing the roof seal? Seems to be in two pieces, but I don't see any exposed screws and doesn't want to just twist & snap apart.

My Weather Pro starting the continuous beeping after a really heavy downpour and high winds. I think it may have water in it.

Can you drill a hole without removing the housing from the roof? If I was to drill a hole, how far up from the bottom to make the hole? I don't have much to loose since it hasn't worked for 6 months anyway.

Thanks,
Old 05-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Bill,
I drilled a 3/16" hole at the bottom of the sensor housing as close to the roof as I could get. The hole points toward the rear of the coach.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Thanks Gary!

I'll drill that hole. If water comes out, I'll know that's what caused the problem. If it's dry won't know for sure.

Is there a small circuit board assembly up there in the sensor housing? ... or just a thermistor? If it's just a thermistor, maybe I can find a replacement, and do a little trial & error to fix.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bill,
Mine had the measuring device about 2/3 the way up the tower. Drilling the hole as close to the bottom as possible should pose no threat to the device. Stop the drill as soon as it goes through the plastic. A potential problem is that the drill cuts the control cable (looks like a telephone cord). The cord is just lying loose on my unit.

Don't be suprised if there is no water. It all depends on how long it has been since the last rain. Also, if you are like me there may be a hole in the roof that the manufacturer did not seal and water will run down the cable to the control board. I drilled the hole, in the sensor tower, because I had the hole in the roof plugged.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duner:
Anyone know if there is a way to take the top off the wind sensor housing without disturbing the roof seal? Seems to be in two pieces, but I don't see any exposed screws and doesn't want to just twist & snap apart.

My Weather Pro starting the continuous beeping after a really heavy downpour and high winds. I think it may have water in it.

Can you drill a hole without removing the housing from the roof? If I was to drill a hole, how far up from the bottom to make the hole? I don't have much to loose since it hasn't worked for 6 months anyway.

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill when I enabled my sensor today I got continous beeping. Awning opens and closes OK with sensor disabled. I have 2006 model.

What did you finally get as repair to all?

Thanks,

Pubtym
Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Found some info on another forum...anyone heard of these fixes?

"Im reading the manuals, it says you can re-program the weather pro by removing the 4 screws, pushing the program button, etc. I am leery to try this procedure for fear of messing up the whole setup. The instructions do not state what the pupose of re-programming is. Has anyone tried this procedure and what has it accomplished?"

"We have a 06 Discovery with a A&E awning and wind sensor. There is a fuse inside the sensor "box" that on our MoHo is in the cabinet above the outside door. Check the fuse, on ours that was the problem."

Pubtym