Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 05:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We Did It! New 38Q

We took delivery of a new Suncruiser 38Q this week. I've received a bunch of help in our decision from forum members here. We love the floor plan. Thank you ALL for your help, I needed it. If I tried to list everyone, I'd miss someone, but a special thank you to americanrascal. Joe has been a tremendous resource both before the purchase and after. He's been my Winnebago Guardian Angel. These forums are such an important resource for a RV owner.

We're staying at a campground in the area of the dealership waiting on a part and a repair. The shaft and gear assembly that raises and lowers the head of the bed has striped gears. Winnebago was supposed to ship the part 2-day air more than a week ago and we had a document confirming that but in reality it went by ground freight. We have to get out of here soon because of prior commitments but the bed could prevent the rear slide from retracting, so that's a must fix. The GPS on the Infotainment system does not work and the dealership was unable to do a timely fix. The kitchen slide does not retract fully at the rear of the slide. It appears the reason is the kitchen cabinet that retracts OVER the stationary sink counter is coming into contact and rubbing as the slide comes in. The dealer has asked Winnebago for guidance. One other thing that greatly concerns us, being Florida residents is that in low 90 degree weather, the front of the motorhome temp is in the mid 80's in the hottest part of the day. The bedroom AC keeps the back just fine. The dealership checked the AC and said it was freezing up and moved the freeze sensor. They said other than that it was operating properly. That repair made no difference in afternoon cooling. We love Florida, but we love it because of air conditioning. We've got to resolve this but I doubt the dealer is the answer in the time we'll be here. So, "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play."

q
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations on your new coach! I love my Suncruiser 37F, but I am having the same issues with cooling the front. Last week I was camping in 100 degree humid air and the front never got below 86 in the daytime. Like yours, the rear bedroom cools fine. It appears the front is lacking good insulation. If I look in the front return vents while the sun is out, I can see light in the ducts. Trying to figure out how to add more insulation, but that may not be possible. I even thought of using a portable air conditioner and venting it out the co-pilot window. As the outside air temperature drops, the cooling in the front works as designed, so I don't think there is a problem with the ac unit. Parking in the shade helps, but is not always an option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
vegas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

A/C

Folks in this hot weather those a/c's fight to try and keep the coach cool. Don't expect to be as cool as in your house, it won't work. Run both a/c's. We turn the termostat in the rear a/c down a bit lower than the front so it will run a little longer. Seems to work for us. Good luck.
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

This is our 4th motorhome and we've never had a problem cooling the others. JMHO
Old 08-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Floridacamper- all has been a pleasure working on this with you. I'm learning a lot as we go back and forth with info-- so thank you !

I've been thinking on some of these issues- probably way too much. I had a pretty tough time cooling mine with the two 13,500 BTU Coleman Machs 47073-879 when I was in central FL in mid July as I mentioned. My build date was the middle of December 2015 and I am assuming (????) yours is more recent. I saw some info on line today that the 47073 model may have been discontinued and I am wondering if your rig has that model installed or if they are using a different model since last December's builds??

It sure would have been nice if at least the front unit was a 15000 BTU instead of a 13500 for us southerners!!

Thinking on the kitchen slide issue-- Its nagging at me and I wonder if its simply a sync issue on the motors is causing the alignment issue and the cabinet rub it a symptom and not a cause. I wonder that as on mine I have such good clearance on both sides of the sink peninsula.

Keep us all posted on what you find out as its very helpful and much appreciated! I hope yours "heals up fast" so you can enjoy it. Ours has been stable now for several months with only a few minor glitches after a slug of big and miserable glitches in the first month or so.

Hang in there!

Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Your post is alittle shocking to me. You paid $150,000 for a new RV and you are having all these problems? I'm close to signing on the dotted line (31G Spirit ) but getting cold feet. My '99 has things break too but nothing on the order of what you're describing.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
I'm close to signing on the dotted line (31G Spirit ) but getting cold feet.
We're pretty shocked too but we all shouldn't be if you follow the forums. Just look at the issues americarascal had in his first two months of ownership. If I had to do it all over, my deal would have been contingent on all systems and components working as designed with the PDI performed before signing on the dotted line and handing over the check. If there was something minor, you could make the call to take delivery. My wife wanted to walk on the deal before we signed but relented with assurances they'd get us fixed. Supposedly, my rig was in service for a whole week, where they went over everything and fixed any discrepancies before I arrived for delivery. Yeah, right! In fairness, I think what I experienced is more common than the exception at all dealerships. For those that picked up an almost perfect coach, I think you're the exception to the rule.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
Thinking on the kitchen slide issue-- Its nagging at me and I wonder if its simply a sync issue on the motors is causing the alignment issue and the cabinet rub it a symptom and not a cause. I wonder that as on mine I have such good clearance on both sides of the sink peninsula.
Joe, when the back part of the slide was not flush, the tech brought the slide in and toggled the switch a couple of times and the rear pulled in flush. I thought all was well until bringing the slide out it started squealing where the counter top was rubbing. I'll try an attach a photo showing the area of contact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	counter rubbing.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	136522  
Old 08-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
We're pretty shocked too but we all shouldn't be if you follow the forums. Just look at the issues americarascal had in his first two months of ownership. If I had to do it all over, my deal would have been contingent on all systems and components working as designed with the PDI performed before signing on the dotted line and handing over the check. If there was something minor, you could make the call to take delivery. My wife wanted to walk on the deal before we signed but relented with assurances they'd get us fixed. Supposedly, my rig was in service for a whole week, where they went over everything and fixed any discrepancies before I arrived for delivery. Yeah, right! In fairness, I think what I experienced is more common than the exception at all dealerships. For those that picked up an almost perfect coach, I think you're the exception to the rule.
How could you sign the final documents without the PDI (PDI means pre delivery inspection). My dealer let me spend several hours, with a tech. going over every system then I signed the papers. We made a list of issues to be taken care of and they started working on them as I went into sign the papers.

Seems there are always a few minor things to adjust/fix on any unit as you say, I certainly did. I had similar issues with my house also, think it goes with these type of purchases.

Hope you enjoy your new RV and your "first year" issues be small and fixed promptly!
Old 08-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #10

Congratulations on that new rig!!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
How could you sign the final documents without the PDI
I guess I meant, make the deal contingent that there are no major issues in your opinion. If minor things turn up during the PDI, go sign the papers. If there are issues you view as significant and do not want to continue with the deal, it's written into your contract that you'll get any deposits back and can walk, no problems. And that's just the way I'll do it if there is a next time.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
Joe, when the back part of the slide was not flush, the tech brought the slide in and toggled the switch a couple of times and the rear pulled in flush. I thought all was well until bringing the slide out it started squealing where the counter top was rubbing. I'll try an attach a photo showing the area of contact.

OK Bob-I get it now- the pic cleared it up. I measured mine and its right at 1/2 inch front and rear of the counter top.

Slide and the bed issues on this rig- even though frustrating - can be very easy fixes and hopefully will be for you. Waiting for parts being the annoying exception.

If its any consolation, with me having just come off a Schwintech set up on my old rig, I thought I'd have a coronary when the big slide went haywire on the new 38Q when the ram broke. When I shared my panic with Forest City, they assured me these new slides were almost always easy fixes for service techs. I was having visions of my rig being disassembled down to the connecting rods in the engine to fix the slide and never seeing the rig again for 45 years. They were right, once the parts arrived the fix literally took less than 30 minutes- even for a ram install. I really hope you have the same experience with a quick and easy repair.

I didn't find the bed assembly too intimidating and was fairly easy to access to work on. So I would think once the part arrives you'll be in good shape quickly.

Initially I was quite panicked thinking I had totaled out the rig when the head of the bed would not rise and the slide would not retract. I managed to convince myself that every moving component on the bed was totally destroyed. Again I had visions of tow trucks, fork lifts, flat bed trailers and the rig being in a shop sitting for another 50 years awaiting repair. Once the DW and I read the programming instructions for the controller, we had ours back up and running in just a few minutes. Of course, with me being so smart, and before I read the instructions it must be noted I disassembled the entire bed assembly spending about 4 hours in my intense analysis of the situation. Then I decided to read the instructions on programming the controller and realized at that point there really was not anything broken.

So if anyone needs to know how to rebuild a 38Q bedroom from the ground up--- well I pretty well got it down (And if I can do it any tech can -LOL) Best part is there were no extra parts laying around when I got it put back together

I find I usually get a great education using my approach- first disassemble everything that's not broken- then put it back together. Next read the instructions and find out it was a simple fix all along! I think they call that the scientific approach to working on RV's?
Old 08-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

That's funny Joe. We're sitting here in very warm temps, so we turned on the fireplace. But without heat.... we already had that. You're teaching an old dog, new tricks. It's all about attitude.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

ha ha-- the DW here loves the Fireplace! I thought it was a joke having a faux fireplace in a rig. I'm a cellulose burner so I told her I wanted to yank it out and punch a hole through the roof for a real wood burner. She said no-- so I put my saw back in the box.

But you know the darned thing really is nice and in the winter will kick out a blast of good heat and keeps the whole front end of the rig pretty warm!

The other thing that I laugh about is 3 tv's. We're not big TV watchers so I wonder why we bought a rig with so many??? But hey- at least the grandkids can watch a lot of Mickey Mouse.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Cold feet

The sales rep was a newbie, didn't even know if thermopanes were an option available on the 31G. To his credit, he was meeting with a Wiinebago rep the day I came in and allowed me to meet with him to ask questions. I asked what the #1 issue was on warranty work and he said slides. The 31G (2017) does have a new slide mechanism. Schwintek is being phased out if I understood him correctly. #2 was a bad brand of converters. Again, they've switched brands. I gave them my order and am waiting to hear back with a price that reflects my special orders. Added solar, stainless sinks, inverter, hot water bypass, outside TV, conv pkg. Big step up from '99 SOB w no bells or whistles. Hope it works out.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
Hope it works out.
Got my fingers crossed for you.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Ah, this is great, after reading all the warnings with Winnebago faults you're both willing to live with the problems. So glad they are minor inconveniences for you, may your departure go as planned.

You deserve what you got as others tried to warn you and forestall these issues. Why bother to post on this Forum and ask advice? Sorry for the negativity, you chose to ignore many others experience. Hope it goes well as we're trying to make the best of our purchase prior to knowing about this Forum and advise we could have sought.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Cold feet

Not ignoring posts. Cold feet mean cold feet. I may just keep my '99 Class C which is paid for and runs well. Your experience is valued.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarasParents View Post
Ah, this is great, after reading all the warnings with Winnebago faults you're both willing to live with the problems. So glad they are minor inconveniences for you, may your departure go as planned.

You deserve what you got as others tried to warn you and forestall these issues. Why bother to post on this Forum and ask advice? Sorry for the negativity, you chose to ignore many others experience. Hope it goes well as we're trying to make the best of our purchase prior to knowing about this Forum and advise we could have sought.
Well I've been doing the RV thing for 35 years and am on my 8th rig. Most times when we changed we went up in size and complexity. Each time I bought I came to expect a much more comfortable and enjoyable rig, but with complexity and increased size I came to accept I'd have more opportunity to experience glitches and challenges. While I'd prefer not to have any problems and a want a "perfect rig" I know such an RV does not exist.I like those challenges that arise and the opportunities to explore solutions and at every chance fix it myself.

That's what makes these forums so great. I didn't have access to or use them 10 years ago and would have to load up the rig and take it to a dealer or wallow through a dilemma without any help - and would never know the experiences of others with a comparable rig. People share experiences and learn whats tolerable and not tolerable in a rig.

In my case, in the 5 months I've owned my rig its been difficult, challenging but I can and am wiling to tolerate the issues as they arise-- and things are getting much better for us.

I am willing to make these sacrifices for what I have so far found to be an enjoyable , comfortable and dream motorhome for us-- in spite of its problems that have seemed to settle down after a few months. I accept and know I'll have problems in the future- complex systems will experience glitches and failures.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarasParents View Post

Wow! I think everyone needs to take forum advise with a grain of salt - weed through the attitudes - and make an informed decision based on what you have gathered. For every positive answer on a forum there is usually a negative answer and visa versa, so realistically no one should ever buy anything - ever - if basing decisions on forum feedback.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote