Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need some suggestions on the best way to wax my roof.
P.S I am not crazy about heights.
Thanks

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by garybtt:
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to think it was important to wax the roof, but now I just climb up on the roof and use the wash and wax RV cleaner to clean the roof.....

I'm not crazy about heights either!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Gary,

Why wax the roof? I wash mine 1-2X/year, but you won't catch me up there waxing it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I'm not crazy about heights either but, the previous owner of mine evidently did not ever wax or really clean it (I have a 2002 Winnabago Ultimate Advantage -- 36'). It looked like it had been parked under pine trees (lots of little black spots all over it) at some time. I bought a 1 gal. bottle of Gel-Gloss from Camping World which is a heavy duty cleaner and wax (Carnauba wax). Washed it first and then started at the front and went to the back. I took my time as I am afraid of heights -- did a lot of it sitting down. Used the cleaner/wax as recommended and just did about a 2 x 2 foot square at a time -- it took about 7 hours total time to do but, it took off all of the pine tar, the oxidation, etc. and now looks like a brand new roof. The same brand makes a wash with the carnauba wax in it and I plan on doing the roof about twice a year now. I would say just take your time knowing up front it is gonna take some time to do it and maybe break it up into two or three days. Well worth the effort though and the wax will help to prevent further oxidation and weathering of the roof.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Like the other guys, I also don't wax the roof since I did my old Adventurer the last time. I just did not see the benefit of all that work. I wash it 2 - 3 times per year and wipe some 303 protectant on it once a year. I figure only the birds will see it so I'm OK if it doesn't shine.

However, to answer your original question, I use good non-slip shoes, use my telesteps ladder to take my 'stuff' up to the roof (brush, bucket, 303, rags, etc.), then climb the rear ladder. I wash it standing up, carefully avoiding the edges. When I put on the 303 I get on my knees and slather it on with a rag.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I hate the black streaks that run down the sides
due to the dirt up there. I will try the ladder on the side and see how far I can reach. Any special waxes or products that last a long time up there

Old 05-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

garybtt;

I wax my roof yearly. I purchased my coach used in March 04. The roof was badly oxidized. I felt it needed some loving care. The first time I used a cleaner first before waxing it with Gelgloss. It took a lot of elbow grease. Each year it gets easier. It looks good now. I kneel on a pad and wax small areas at a time. People think I am nuts but I tell them it has less wind resistance now and improves gas mileage. (I can't prove that) I spend about 6 - 8 hours but I am proud how nice my roof looks.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I like a clean coach..at 330lbs I am not about to climb on a roof of any kind. I have been lucky to know some kids that need some extra money.
I still like my Starbrite (blue, the original) boat wax. It cleans and protects at the same time. Available at Boaters World or West Marine etc. It is outstanding as a cleaner and the shine is not bad either

As with any cleaner goes on hard comes off easy. Wax is just the opposite, that is why I use the one part deal.

Good luck on waxing the roof.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Garybtt: We have a 36ft jouney and we clean are roof once a year, we found that mop and glow works wonders after we wash the roof with Rv Boat and wax. We buy a bottle of mop and glow and a cheap mop at the Dollars store.It takes about 10 min to do and you wouldn't beleave the results just mop it on and let the sun dry it. We did the roof this time last year and I am now starting to see a little bit of black streaks. So buy the end of this week I will do it again and I will be good for another year. Ron

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Gary I got a chuckle this morning when I was reading the paper and in the classified section there was several of the same small add, RV Wash & Wax service. Thought since you, like me, don't care much for heights this might be an option in your area too. No idea what the guy charges but might be worth it if you have a local guy doing the same type of work. Good luck!
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

After I wash my roof I apply NuFinish with a clean, damp sponge mop. The kind with the squeeze handle on it. Just squirt a little NuFinish on the roof and spread it around with the damp mop. No bending and no need to buff it off. It lasts a full year. Makes cleaning much easier the next time.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I just finished waxing my roof last night. I washed the RV on Monday and on Tuesday evening I started getting ready to wax the roof. I noticed a lot, and I mean a lot, of brown spots left by little sticky things dropped by trees that are no longer standing. After our last wind storm the county came by and cut the trees down because they were leaning towards our house. So, to remove the brown spots, I used a very fine polishing compound on Tuesday. On Wednesday, my roof was ready for wax. I finished waxing the roof and put up scaffolding and waxed the upper half of the passenger side. Tonight I'll set up my scaffolding once again and wax the upper half of the driver's side and the rear. My wife is feeling sorry for me so she told me that she would help tonight by waxing the lower parts.

I try to wax our MH once each year with washes after each trip. Waxing is a big job but I don't want one of those green, algae covered motor homes. There are quite a few algae green motor homes up here in Washington State.

Waxing next year should be a little easier as I plan to retire at the end of July.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I think the frequency depends in large part to the contaminants your roof is exposed to. My motorhome lives a large part of the year in the direct desert sun of the southwest - lot of UV exposure.

So, I use Maguire's wax every 4 months. Yea, I know it's a tuff job, but I'm convinced the fiberglass needs it. (Haven't noticed whether it helps the waist-line, but it DOES create a lot of sweat) &lt;G&gt; In the hot weather, it provides an excuse to go to the mountains! &lt;G&gt;
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Liquid Glass Polish

I hired someone to wash and wax my entire coach, including the roof. I feel that the roof being waxed will not attract so much dirt and have it cling to the roof surface and then run down the sides in the form of black streaks. So far I have no streaks on the sides and the coach has gone through several rains while in outside storage. I had the detailers use LIQUID GLASS polish that I purchased from Amazon.com. It can be used in full sun! One other thing that impressed me about this product is that it takes fine steel wool and paint thinner to remove it before sealing an area where it was applied. If it sticks that well...

There are many reviews giving it five stars on Amazon. I plan to have the entire coach done every six months. Joe
Old 04-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I've never waxed my roof, but I just read in the latest issue of Motorhome Magazine fiberglass roofs need to be waxed once a year.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

After the roof is washed and dry I apply the " Solution" Waterless Car Wash and Wax - The Solution Waterless Car Wash (Gal)
using a pad on a long handle used for cleaning hardwood floors (purchased at Target). This entire process is done from a 8 foot step ladder along side the motorhome. I never set foot on the roof.
I also use this method on the sides of the rig.
A friend of ours has been using this product on his 1998 Discovery since new and it still looks new.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote