Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
TEO
Winnebago Camper

This weekend we used the heating cycle of the heat pump to heat the motorhome. In the morning, there was a considerable amount of water under the unit. I'm familiar with the condensation when in the cooling mode, but wonder about the source of water when in the heating mode. Any ideas?

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
TEO
Winnebago Camper

This weekend we used the heating cycle of the heat pump to heat the motorhome. In the morning, there was a considerable amount of water under the unit. I'm familiar with the condensation when in the cooling mode, but wonder about the source of water when in the heating mode. Any ideas?

Paul

FMCA F98905
Old 11-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have noticed some water sometimes when using the heat pump just as when using the unit on ac mode, particularly in damp weather ...the unit dehumidifies when heating just as it does when cooling...
Old 11-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

A heat pump is nothing more than an air conditioning unit with the condenser blowing on the inside and the evaporator on the outside. Since it is not practical to remount the unit to switch operating modes, the manufacturers use a 4 ported reversing valve which switches the compressor in and out so that the indoor coil becomes the condenser so that the heat is inside. The outside coil which is the condenser in A/C mode becomes the evaporator. If the outside air has sufficient moisture, the moisture will condense on the cold coil.

Some units include a defrost mode as the outside coil in a heat pump can and will freeze and require defrosting. The water drains off.

Ken
Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

While on this subject it might be well to know where the drain is from the heating/ A/C System and to know how to clean the drain tube.
Under the unit is a rubber tube that sticks out about a half inch or so and one should occasionally assure that this tube is not blocked by anything, such as water born fungi and or dust accumulations.
I used a piece of wire, bent on it's self and as I inserted in into the tube a deluge of filthy water came cascading out. I was not prepared for as much as came out but since that time I check that the tube is clear, and would urge all owners to do the same.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Not knowing where you are at. But if it got real cold at night. The HP could have frosted up and when it warmed up later in the morning. The ice melted off and dripped to the ground.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
TEO
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the replys. You are correct about the water, When in the A'C mode, the evaporator will dehumidify and condensate will be piped overboard. In the heat mode, the "cooling coils" will be the cold side and will be the side to condense.

I'm in Florida, where it got cold (by my standard) but was still very humid.

Also, thanks for the tip about the drain. The next time I'm under there I will check it out.

Paul

FMCA F98905