Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2007 36G journey. The storage compartment located in front of the drivers wheel always fills up with water to the lip when I'm running in the rain. It's been in the shop on a couple of occassions but they have not been able to solve the leakage.

Question is, if you have experienced this problem what has been your solution? Their solution was for me to make sure the door was correctly closed! Yes i do make sure the door double clicks insurring both locks engage.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2007 36G journey. The storage compartment located in front of the drivers wheel always fills up with water to the lip when I'm running in the rain. It's been in the shop on a couple of occassions but they have not been able to solve the leakage.

Question is, if you have experienced this problem what has been your solution? Their solution was for me to make sure the door was correctly closed! Yes i do make sure the door double clicks insurring both locks engage.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I had this issue on my 05 Journey. If you look towards the top rear of the bay you might see that there is an open area where the tire can spit water in as it rotates. I added a small piece of aluminum to fill the gap and sealed with silicon.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We had a similar problem on the storage compartment in front of our right rear wheels. I chased it for a couple years until I found the same problem as jimandsue60. There was an open spot about an inch long at the top of the vertical seam where the rear panel junctions with the outside panel.

It looked like who ever sealed it pulled the caulking gun out just a little early. There was some caulk in the seam but it wasn't adhearing to both walls. I cut the old caulk out with a pocket knife and used some black rtv to reseal it. The coach has been driven over 10,000 miles since then and everything remains dry.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We had similar problems in both the left front (in front of the tire) and right front (just behind the tire) compartments. A couple of dealers messed with them under warranty with little success (one idiot even applied silicone along a couple of seams INSIDE on the cloth lining!). I eventually went over all seams from the outside with black silicone. Then I got a can of spray-on undercoating and applied it to the outside of the compartments, particularly along the seams. I've had no further problems with leaks.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

JK,

I had same problem with same exact MH and I filled the gaps front & back, caulked all of the external seams, caulked front wiring entries, added much firmer door seal around openning and that almost completely stopped leak but a some water still came in top center of door. Last spring took it to Forest City and they removed gap fillers, removed firmer door seals, replaced door gasket with same as before but said the water pools on top of storage bay that had an area needing some caulking. Driving home after that hit a good rain and bay was totally dry except for a little wet spot at bottom of door where gasket is split. I since have glued that area of gasket together we will see the next big rain storm I hope not to drive through but wet pavement is not a problem anymore.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem with '06' Meridian. Resealed all screw protusions and wiring holes with RTV Sealant and sprayed entire bay exterior with rubberized sealant. Compartment still leaked while driving through the next rain event.
Next step I emptied the bay and closed the door with a lantern inside (at night) and discovered that the water was entering through the bottom seal in the middle where the seal is split or meets. Also noticed at the same time that when I close the bay door I push my knee against the door just to the right of the handle (rather than slam the door-poor RV Park manners ya know). When I put pressure on the center of the door it pushed the rubber seal in enough to allow water to intrude. The latches for the doors are along the sides.
Solution--gently pull the seal out where it meets and close the door by pressing my knee against each edge where the latch is located. Works well as long as you don't forget to do it. Next, don't store anything in that bay that will be damaged by water (I store everything in plastic jars or containers).
Think maybe a dowel or piece of metal inserted to join the two ends of rubber seal may provide better 'memory' for the seal to return to the sealed position. Pretty flimsy piece of rubber seal and a real pita.If you find a better solution let us know..

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Try a product called "Rhino Coat or Rhino Liner". Its applied professionally to pickup truck beds. It will seal around your front box and keep weather out.