Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Water Heater not working 2018 Micro Minnie

Took my new camper out this weekend and could not get the water heater to work. Not good. Temperature was in the low 30's.
Tried to contact dealer Saturday, no techs available to assist.
Would appreciate some advice.
Thank you.
jimmy1585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1585 View Post
Took my new camper out this weekend and could not get the water heater to work. Not good. Temperature was in the low 30's.
Tried to contact dealer Saturday, no techs available to assist.
Would appreciate some advice.
Thank you.
make and model of water htr would be helpful. gas only or gas/electric. must you light pilot manually or do you have a switch inside?

- do you have lp in the tank?
- circuit breaker tripped?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Make and model

Atwood water heater. I do have gas. Two switches one gas one electric. Dealer tech said it was automatic only had to flip switch. Tried that and does not work. I will be calling dealer today. Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Has the HW heater ever worked or is this the first time you've tried it?
Check the breaker box for tripped breaker. The HW heater has 3 bypass valves for winterizing. Are these valves turned to allow water into the HW heater? On my 2201DS, they are located behind a removable panel under the bathroom sink. If your unit was winterized by the dealer, the valves will be in the bypass mode and the HW heater will be empty.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Water heater repaired by dealer Travel Camp Jacksonville Florida. Had to drive back to Jacksonville, but well worth it. Tech Ronnie , who is very knowledgeable about RV's , trouble shot unit. In the metal tube coming out of heater where propane comes in, a SRIDER and built a NEST. This was blocking the gas and causing it to ignite at the circuit board. Luckily Atwood has installed a small diode in the electrical line to stop this when it gets hot. This was my gas problem.
As far as the reason the electric aspect of the heater goes. He unplugged and plugged in the wires at the circuit board and flipped the breaker one time and the electric water heater worked. This was after making sure the element was receiving power.
In summary, I would highly recommend making sure the hot water works before taking the camper from the dealer. When using electric to heat water, know that it will take a while to heat up, 20 to 30 minutes. Recommended to use gas first, the switch to electric.
Lesson learned. Hope this may help others. Happy to have 2018 Micro Minnie fixed.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Very unusual for both heating systems to go out on the HW heater at the same time. Your unlucky stars must have lined up. I'm glad you got it diagnosed and fixed. You can heat water with gas and electric at the same time for faster recovery time. Enjoy your new camper. It is much nicer with hot water for the shower.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater