Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I would like to think that word is getting out on their coach and Ford chassis warranty issues. Customers are the only ones who can force them to change.
ExBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBuckeye View Post
We had a very good buying experience with General in Canton, Oh, but I have not had to have warranty work done and my year is up anyway. All RV dealers say they will not fix if you didn't buy from them. That's the way the auto industry used to be. When the foreign imports started kicking Detroits butt back in the 70's they were forced to change. If we get enough foreign RV makers starting to build and sell thei RVs here it might force our manufacturers to do a better job!
Competition can work miracles!

Can you imagine if top-tier auto mfrs built RVs to the same quality standards as their cars?!

One question I have is:

By definition, most RVs are taken far from the owner's home. There is an exceedingly good chance that a failure will occur hundreds or thousands of miles away from where they purchased it. What then? It's not as if the owner lives near the dealer that is closest to where they broke down, but decided to purchase in another state. The dealer should not have any resentment or hard feelings toward the owner.

Owners should be able to take their rig to any authorized dealer for repairs and maint. If the dealer refuses to work on the RV because it was not purchased from them, they should lose their franchise.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #23
PIC
Winnebago Owner

During our research for TTs we discovered that the "Service" after the sale is a universal problem in the RV Industry. It actually took me back (hate to date myself) to the auto dealership service issues that existed in the 70s, 80s, and until Ford, GM, & Chrysler Dodge had their tails handed to them by the better cars coming in from overseas. It was the real competition they faced that turned them around. Unfortunately, The RV industry may be competitive but when they're selling everything they make they just don't have the incentive to clean up the rest of their operations. So, in the end we just Kept it Simple Stupid. We would have stepped up for more but as my middle name should be Murphy I just decided to reduce my risk to this part of the RV experience and bought what I thought could easily fixed by me or someone else outside of the dealerships. To date this strategy has worked. Had an issue with our water pump. Made the appointment while we were on the road. Thoroughly explained the issue and understood we would have an appointment to come in and simply swap out the pump. Even after coordinating with Winnebago and thought everyone was on the same page, it was not. We had an "appointment" to drop it off it off. The CA service dept knew we were coming in from FL. We could not leave our rolling home with them for a week and possibly more. We are living in it Folks!!! So, told them to cancel the appointment and that we will take care of it ourselves. Look around for the few remaining smaller dealerships. They are more accomodating, reasonable, and appreciate your business. In the end I think it's a less stressful way to go and the big boys will never miss your business
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Good advice PIC.

As you said, smaller shops can be a good option.

Also, independent RV repair techs.

Some issues do not require a shop that is familiar with RVs. For example, the A/C. Any HVAC tech should be able to repair it, there's no need to go to a RV dealer.

Since you mentioned the water pump, that's a good example of something that's very easy to replace.

There are many things on an RV that might sound complicated that in reality, anyone who can assemble a piece of furniture can work on.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Answer is much like my experience not buying from the local dealer. I have the exact same model as you have only mine is a 2016. Not purchased locally or with extended service contract.
To be short; you are screwed just like I was. If lucky, you won’t get 1/3rd if the warranty work done in a year. After that, my cost to get the coach to safe and normal took about 1 1/2 years and about $10,000 out of my pocket. Winnebago was a pain all along and of no help. Welcome to Winne bago’s quality control and lack of caring for the customer. Cheers Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote