Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2006, 07:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Be Careful with the electric steps, I stepped out of the motorhome, steps were not out and I fell to the ground broke my right wrist.

Power at home was out so I brought the motohome home to use the generator and went out to the motorhome after midnight 08/03/06 to turn off the generator fumbled with the switches, next to the entrance door, and turned the step switch off and on again and did not realize that locked the steps in the closed position. When I opened the door and expected the steps to be out and they were not down I went.

So at 61, I have my first cast.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Be Careful with the electric steps, I stepped out of the motorhome, steps were not out and I fell to the ground broke my right wrist.

Power at home was out so I brought the motohome home to use the generator and went out to the motorhome after midnight 08/03/06 to turn off the generator fumbled with the switches, next to the entrance door, and turned the step switch off and on again and did not realize that locked the steps in the closed position. When I opened the door and expected the steps to be out and they were not down I went.

So at 61, I have my first cast.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I am sorry to read about your steps and falling. I saw this happen to another person and it was not pretty...thankfully we had nearby EMT's.

As for the root cause of the steps failure (note I am saying failure for a reason), there may be a wiring problem with your system.

I believe the steps are to always extend upon opening the door or screen door or both regardless of the steps' switch position. This is a safety feature and should be looked into.

My previous Winnebago and now my Sightseer has this safety feature and the steps always extend when you open the door, even if the motor is running !!

As a suggestion, please have this checked.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:
I am sorry to read about your steps and falling. I saw this happen to another person and it was not pretty...thankfully we had nearby EMT's.

As for the root cause of the steps failure (note I am saying failure for a reason), there may be a wiring problem with your system.

I believe the steps are to always extend upon opening the door or screen door or both regardless of the steps' switch position. This is a safety feature and should be looked into.

My previous Winnebago and now my Sightseer has this safety feature and the steps always extend when you open the door, even if the motor is running !!

As a suggestion, please have this checked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that was only for when the engine was running so you would not accidently drive off with the steps extended.

I had just replaced a set of Kwikee steps before I lost my old coach in a fire and they came with a warning label that was supposed to be affixed so it could be read by anyone exiting the coach. It advized all to verify that the steps were in the fully extended position before exiting. I stuck it at about eye level on the screen door.

Regards,
Old 08-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

No "failure", it used to be a "feature".

From an older Kwikee owners manual:

"Turning off the power with the step retracted will hold the step in a retracted position as well."

It's a feature not often seen as it's often disguised by the "last out" feature where the step will open after the ignition was on, regardless of the power switch position.

Given the dangerous condition this can present, I wonder if Kwikee would sell me an updated contoller cheap? (My 20 month old loves to play with switches. I've stepped out to no step a few times already. A chassis battery disconnect may work for us, as he loves to turn on the headlites too!)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I too have personally experienced a flight from my door in the dark. I thank goodness landed on soft grass with no ill effects only a very shocked wife staring at me on the ground.

I believe that this is a feature that allows you to keep the steps in the retracted position when you park in a area where your step could strike an obstruction, like a curb. Anyway, moral of the story is to look before you leap!
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thank you, for your comments.

Thought I would post this and maybe save someone from the same fate. I am grateful it was not worse.

Clarification on the my switch confusion
"fumbled with the switches, next to the entrance door, and turned the step switch off and on again and did not realize that locked the steps in the closed position. When I opened the door and expected the steps to be out and they were not down I went."

See the labels on the switch photo below

I assumed the steps were out when the switch was in the out position.

Upon reading my 2003 Itasca Sunrise 36m manual it shows a photo of the switches however in the manual it reads STEP ON OFF our motorhome as you can clearly see is labeled STEP IN OUT.

Anyway please note the operation of your steps and be careful.

Sincerely,
Bob
Old 08-05-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I assumed the steps were out when the switch was in the out position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Winnie needs to review its switch labeling protocol. "On" & "Off" are somewhat obscure. But "Out" & "In" do not necessarily mean that. This could be a recall issue, since injury could (and did) result.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. And thanks from all of us for bringing this to light.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

And this is not the only place where labels are obscure. Look around your coach, you'll find them.

However, have noticed in the later model years, Winne's labels are getting better.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:29 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

I would suggest a small picture of a man falling and then the other side could be a circle and a slash through the picture of the guy falling...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I sent Winnebago an email including a link to this post so they could see my posts and photo about my incident on Sunday and I received a timely reply Monday.

I am very pleased that Winnebago listens to the concerns of their customers.

Since I am not ambidextrous learning how to do everything left handed is a new experience. It puts a hold on my DIY project of redoing our master bath that I was in the middle of. Pat wanted two vanities in the bath so as to keep me out of her stuff. She accuses me of being the sloppy one at the sink we now share, I tell her she will now have two sloppy sinks to clean.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:22 AM   #12

I stepped out into empty space once, but fortunately it was in my yard.

Sometimes when entering my coach I accidently hit the step switch resulting in the steps folding up as I close the door. As a result, I now _always_ check before stepping out.

Maybe we need one of those warning signs like those for antennas: "Warning! Check Steps before exiting coach!"
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freddy:
I stepped out into empty space once, but fortunately it was in my yard.

Sometimes when entering my coach I accidently hit the step switch resulting in the steps folding up as I close the door. As a result, I now _always_ check before stepping out.

Maybe we need one of those warning signs like those for antennas: "Warning! Check Steps before exiting coach!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sign/label is included in the box when you get a Kwikee Electric Step.

Regards,
Old 08-11-2006, 04:19 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
That sign/label is included in the box when you get a Kwikee Electric Step. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I neither have one nor is one posted near the switch. Sure wish someone would have applied it when the steps were installed.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I neither have one nor is one posted near the switch. Sure wish someone would have applied it when the steps were installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Freddy, I agree with you. No Warning label at the door or switch.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob&Pat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I neither have one nor is one posted near the switch. Sure wish someone would have applied it when the steps were installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Freddy, I agree with you. No Warning label at the door or switch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I purchased my previous coach a 1995 Winnebago Vectra the label was still in the Kwikee manual that originally came with the coach. The warning was also repeated in the Kwikee manual in the form of a "Look before you leap" and it was also repeated in the Winnebago factory manual. When I personaly installed a replacement set of steps, due to an uninvited guest using my driveway to turn around in and then running off without owing up to having destroyed the extended steps, there was a nice new label with a tag reminding the installer (me this time) to install the warning lablel.

I agree the installer has not really done the job to completion if he has not installed the label but neither have we fulfilled our duty as prudent owner/operators if we have not read the manual and passed on the appropriate warnings to family and guests.

Mom always yelled at us "Don't run with scissors in your hands" even though there was no warning label on them pertaining to that. I think in Mom's absence we do need to gently keep reminding each other of the obvious. It is just as Mom cautioned "Haste makes waste" and "You should always look before you leap".

Even when there is no caution sticker around, it is still a good idea to exercise caution.

A hearty thanks to all the good mom's out there, blessed we will all be if we remember half of all the good advice they gave us.

Bob and Freddy got some painfull/embarrasing reminders to listen to mom. Lets all put that to good use and be more carefull when we are using automated devices that could potentially harm us if they don't work as expected.

Kindest regards and hopefully a speedy recovery for Bob,
Old 08-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Bob and Freddy got some painfull/embarrasing reminders to listen to mom. Lets all put that to good use and be more carefull when we are using automated devices that could potentially harm us if they don't work as expected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best reminder that I got was the fall! Warning stickers, or the lack of them won't keep someone from falling if they don't pay attention to their surroundings. There are no warning stickers near the steps leading off my deck and I've yet to fall.

Once in Vegas I stepped out the MH and tripped over curbing that separated my MH from my neighbor. Fortunately only my pride was hurt, but it shook up the neighbor when I rolled head over tea kettle into his coach.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kindest regards and hopefully a speedy recovery for Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kindest regards and hopefully a speedy recovery for Bob
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote