Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wall Sconce Light Question

I have 3 sconce wall lights in my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer. All 3 lights do not work. All the other lights are working fine. All the lights in question have the push button on/off . My question is regarding the push button switch. I've replaced the bulbs with no success.
Anyone have suggestions to resolve this issue? The lights aren't a necessity but would be nice to have.
buzzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum.

If you've already checked all of your 12v fuses and they look OK, then I would take one of them apart and check things out with a volt meter. It's hard to believe that all three switches would go bad but finding out if you have power going to the switches would be my starting point.

Is this coach new to you? Did the lights work in the past that you know of?

A call to Winnebago support could save you a lot of time.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have had the coach 10 months and the lights never worked. The coach has had excellent care. It only had 20k on it when I purchased it. I've checked all the fuses I can find but I don't know where the fuse for these lights is located. 1 light is above the coach and the others are above the bed in the bedroom....both in slides.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #4

I'm not sure where your 12v circuit breaker panel is (maybe below the refrigerator?) but it should be labeled "HOUSE 12V CIRCUIT BREAKERS - (PUSH TO RESET)" and some of the labels on the individual breakers should say "LAMPS" ...maybe about 4 or 5 of them. I bet one of them has tripped. As Rick has stated, it's difficult to believe that all your wall lamps have faulty switches as they probably all are not getting any power.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzyb View Post
I have 3 sconce wall lights in my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer. All 3 lights do not work. All the other lights are working fine. All the lights in question have the push button on/off . My question is regarding the push button switch. I've replaced the bulbs with no success.
Anyone have suggestions to resolve this issue? The lights aren't a necessity but would be nice to have.
the 2 lamp wall sconce above the couch on my moho used a strange bayonet lamp that had 1 filament but 2 contacts. one contact was a ground, the other positive 12v.
both lamps in this fixture were inop when i got my moho. i couldn't find a lamp like that.
i took the 2 sockets apart and bent the ground contact so that it went up beside the base and the other contact would hit the center contact on the base of a 1003 (12w), 1141 (18w) or 1156 (26w) lamp.
problem solved. i use the 1141 lamps. the 1156 are very bright. i don't use this fixture a lot so it is not a high priority for me to upgrade to led's.
my 2 single lamp bedroom wall sconces use a different base lamp 912x. that lamp is widely available. they don't get used a lot either.
i have upgraded 1 reading light and the fluorescent light over the kitchen sink to led's. they were pricey but are working well. they operate about 20 hours a day.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Those push button switches are notoious for going bad when not being used much. You can make this easy test. Remove the fixture from the wall. You will see 2 black wires coming out of the switch, connecting 2 other black wires. Remove the 2 switch wires and connect/touch the other 2 together. The light will light up if it's the switch. If not, it's a problem previously mentioned.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I will assume you have checked to make sure there is 12 volts to the light fixture ahead of the switch.

The switch is a common one, any hardware store has them, they are used on bathroom light fixtures (The one on the medicine cabinet) Stoves for the cook top light, fans and teh like, Just take the switch to your local hardware or electrical supply.> NOT Radio shack or auto parts places.

And yes, I have replaced a couple..

Switches are the kind of device where you do not worry which lead goes where if there are only two of them.. If there are 3, (or more) than it's important, but with just 2, it does not matter.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I will assume you have checked to make sure there is 12 volts to the light fixture ahead of the switch.

The switch is a common one, any hardware store has them, they are used on bathroom light fixtures (The one on the medicine cabinet) Stoves for the cook top light, fans and teh like, Just take the switch to your local hardware or electrical supply.> NOT Radio shack or auto parts places.

And yes, I have replaced a couple..

Switches are the kind of device where you do not worry which lead goes where if there are only two of them.. If there are 3, (or more) than it's important, but with just 2, it does not matter.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Two of our wall sconces have the push button switch on them, but they're also on a wall switch. All of them have to be on for the lights to work.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all.....

I want to thank everyone who responded to my wall sconce question.
I received some great information and now my sconce lights are working again. The problem turned out to be the on/off push buttons were bad. I learned that they can go bad if not used much. Coach is 12 years old so it just needed some attention in some cases.

Thanks again.....