Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2007, 03:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I'm interested in knowing about how much weight the roof will take. I have an 06 Journey 36G. When I wash it I would like to go on the roof and clean it as well as use it as a "sun Deck." Are they too flimsly or are they pretty solid. I have noticed in pictures while at several NASCAR races people twill set up a "party" on the roof. What are the chances of damaging the roof as well as breaking through?
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm interested in knowing about how much weight the roof will take. I have an 06 Journey 36G. When I wash it I would like to go on the roof and clean it as well as use it as a "sun Deck." Are they too flimsly or are they pretty solid. I have noticed in pictures while at several NASCAR races people twill set up a "party" on the roof. What are the chances of damaging the roof as well as breaking through?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

When we were there, I asked a couple of factory techs about that and they said " Two men plus an air conditioner".
That doesn't tell you how much over it would stand though.
Personaly I wouldn't use the roof for parties or for a sunroof.
Having seen them built at the factory, I don't think they are designed for that type of use.

You might want to call customer service and ask them though. In my experience they are good at answering all sorts of questions.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:53 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I wash mine all the time... With the fiberglass it's very easy and will take the weight no problem. As far as party on the roof? I wouldn't, a few people (normal weight) maybe...

Once you get the roof clean it's easier to use a small wash bucket and a few micro fiber cloths to wipe it down every so often after. I put on the old knee pads and start from the front and work back. It takes about 30 minutes and the roof is as white as snow. That way your not washing the runoff down the sides and you can check the roof edge while your at it. A little dish detergent or auto wash and wax will do the trick.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

IMHO, I would not go on the roof unless absolutely necessary. And then I would not walk near the edge. Walking near the edge could jeopardize the roof to sidewall seam.

I plan to wash my roof in May and I'll do it with from a ladder and use a long handled brush on a hose.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

jk ...

I hire people to wash my 2004 Journey ... they climb up on the roof and use a power washer to clean off the roof ...

After they are done and it has dried, I climb up on the roof and wax it once a year ...

You can safely climb up to wash the roof ...

I would question using your roof as a "deck" ... especially if that implies using chairs to sit on ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think I remember reading somewhere the weight limit for our roof is 250 pounds. That's not a lot of information to go on, i.e., is that 250 pounds per square foot/inch/meter, 125 pounds for the average footprint area, etc.

You should not consider using your roof for recreation unless you somehow figure out how to reinforce it, even then I think it is a very poor idea, potentially dangerous and not worth the trouble.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I vaguely remember a TV show once that showed a manufacturer that made an RV with a roof deck (it even had an internal spiral staircase for access) but, besides the weight issue, I would think that having a "gathering" on a normal RV roof would be inviting disaster with all the trip hazards and slipperiness. The tort lawyers would have a field day!

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary the Wombat:
I vaguely remember a TV show once that showed a manufacturer that made an RV with a roof deck (it even had an internal spiral staircase for access) but, besides the weight issue, I would think that having a "gathering" on a normal RV roof would be inviting disaster with all the trip hazards and slipperiness. The tort lawyers would have a field day! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Airstream SkyDeck or some such name.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
jk ...
I hire people to wash my 2004 Journey ... they climb up on the roof and use a power washer to clean off the roof ..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would use caution using a pressure washer on a motorhome. And I know I wouldn't let a stranger use one. You'd blast the sealants off or loosen them.

I was washing some bird dirt off my bedroom window with a pressure washer. A couple days later I noticed moisture between the panes of glass. It was the fixed pane above the opening pane. I know I caused this with the pressure washer.

-Tom
Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

There was a coach for sale on ebay recently that had an inside stair case to the roof. Roof had seating, barbeque, ice chest, etc for watching the races. Even had a chekerboard paint scheme. Don't remember who made it tho and can't say how tall it was with the safety rails.
Richard
Old 03-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

[QUOTE.

Once you get the roof clean it's easier to use a small wash bucket and a few micro fiber cloths to wipe it down every so often after. I put on the old knee pads and start from the front and work back. It takes about 30 minutes and the roof is as white as snow. That way your not washing the runoff down the sides and you can check the roof edge while your at it. A little dish detergent or auto wash and wax will do the trick.[/QUOTE]
Wow, 30 minutes for a 38' coach! That's Great Ed! It takes me most of an afternoon, or morning. I start at the front also. Whats your secret?
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Bobpie,
I don't know?
I wash it when it needs it, but I don't let it go too long.
I do get up there once a month more or less, It takes me 30 min. 45 min. if I need a beer break! I stopped waxing the roof because it holds water and makes a real mess. The ONLY thing I wax are the sides of the RV and the roof curve side edge.(new finish once a year)

What I found was the water or morning dew runs off the roof and the dirt stays on the upper side of the curve before it runs down the RV side, works pretty slick! The wax makes it pool there..
Old 03-26-2007, 11:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
jk ...
I hire people to wash my 2004 Journey ... they climb up on the roof and use a power washer to clean off the roof ..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would use caution using a pressure washer on a motorhome. And I know I wouldn't let a stranger use one. You'd blast the sealants off or loosen them.

I was washing some bird dirt off my bedroom window with a pressure washer. A couple days later I noticed moisture between the panes of glass. It was the fixed pane above the opening pane. I know I caused this with the pressure washer.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't let anyone pressure wash my motorhome not even the roof. The prep crew at LazyDays in Sefner Florida actually blasted a 3/8 inch diameter hole in the fiberglass on mine. It did not manifest itself until after the warranty was up during the first hard rain we had. A button plug and a 3" round EternaBond patch took care of it.

The most irritating thing is that it was perfectly obvious and they had to have known when they did it, but they did not even make the effort to calk it.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the info. So let me understand.. 1. No wild parties. 2. Since I'm a "large person" I need to lose ~ 50 + lbs. So I need to go on diet to wash roof if I go there...not a bad idea since my doctors are fussing at me....Heart Doc., General Doc., diabetic Doc., orthopedic doc., allergist Doc., dematologist Doc., optomologist Doc., onocologist Doc., and dentist Doc., (If i have inadvertenly left any one off this list please be assured that i extend my sincere appolgies.) (Being politically correct seems to be the thing these days.) 3. Use bucket of "wash" and wipe with "micro" rags, + use knee pads. 4. No pressure washes any where! 5. No acid washes (from other RV forums). 6. I most likely will wax and let the "dirt spot" stay from dew and rain since I beleive the waxing will keep a barrier between the water and the fiber-glass. 7. Becareful around the edge seam, maybe use "extra" wax around the roof/side channel. 8. Use a "mild" dish detergent....what about the old "Turtle Wax", wash on wash off routine. 9. Someone mentioned, Dry with "squezee" (SP) but won't I have a good chance of scratching the finish? Think I'll use the micro cloths for this also or a lint free cloth. 10. Oh I forgot, drink beer! Replenishes the body fluids. 11. Invite neighbors for ribs/chips and beer for RV wash/wax party. Did I mention I was good at deligating....

Again,
great group for info....THANKS ALL!

dog. (jk's on a beer break)

ps. jk owns a bar and grill...everyone's invited. bring cash! Maintenance on DP is expensive or so I've been told.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:22 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Do un-waxed fiberglass hull boats leak?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I would not walk near the edge. Walking near the edge could jeopardize the roof to sidewall seam.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? Why is that?

There is no way to jeapordize the sidewall seam by walking on the roof.

I go on my roof all the time to remove the antenas, install the cover and wash the roof....no biggie and they are built for that.

No other people are allowed on the roof though...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Good grief, it's the roof! Fiberglass roofs (Winnebago) do not hold dirt like rubber roofs (Fleetwood). I never washed mine. I mostly pray for a hard rain when driving. And no I have no streaks down the sides of my coach. I never park under trees!!! I've only washed the sides with a brush on a hose and only a couple times a year. No soap. I do have full body paint with clearcoat, which I highly suggest purchasing.

Note the reflection, of the RV parked next to me, in the photo below.

-Tom
Old 03-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I would not walk near the edge. Walking near the edge could jeopardize the roof to sidewall seam.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? Why is that? If anyone here has seen the installation of a Winnebago roof to the sidewall (and I have), there is no way to jeapordize the sidewall seam by walking on the roof.

I go on my roof all the time to remove the antenas, install the cover and wash the roof....no biggie and they are built for that.

No other people are allowed on the roof though... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those that know me (Rebelsbeach, Driver, Depchief) know I'm a lot BIGGER than you.