Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vinyl Flooring

Those of you that have a Winnie coach with Vinyl flooring be very very careful. If it gets damaged and your coach is more than 3 years old you may be forced to replace the whole floor. Then to replace it you almost have to take apart the whole coach to get it affixed under the slides.

Also note that the flooring is only stapled down on the edges it is not glued down. If you get a tear or other damage you are more or less screwed. Not a good approach in my book. I see it as a cheap and dirty approach.

If you call customer service with your SN you may be able to get the pattern, maker and type of material but........

In my coach one of the slides caught the edge of the sheet and tore it. The damage was hidden under the slide until we extended it did we see the extent of the damage.

Not happy with Winnebago. Don't think I would buy another with Vinyl flooring.
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Update. The flooring is manufactured by Syntec. In my case the product is Beauflor.

Their office in Indiana handles it. Their corporate office number is 1-800-526-8428.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

FWIW having had carpet and vinyl you could not get us to go back to carpet.

I wonder if it is better just edge stapled. Glue would certainly make any repair harder or at least messier. OTOH if it tore because the vinyl was sucked up into the path of the slide...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsufans View Post
Those of you that have a Winnie coach with Vinyl flooring be very very careful. If it gets damaged and your coach is more than 3 years old you may be forced to replace the whole floor. Then to replace it you almost have to take apart the whole coach to get it affixed under the slides.

Also note that the flooring is only stapled down on the edges it is not glued down. If you get a tear or other damage you are more or less screwed. Not a good approach in my book. I see it as a cheap and dirty approach.

If you call customer service with your SN you may be able to get the pattern, maker and type of material but........

In my coach one of the slides caught the edge of the sheet and tore it. The damage was hidden under the slide until we extended it did we see the extent of the damage.

Not happy with Winnebago. Don't think I would buy another with Vinyl flooring.
Mine cracked while in storage over an exceptionally cold winter (didn't get to go south that winter). It split at each end of the passenger side slideout. It was edge stapled and that didn't allow the vinyl to contract in the cold.

I didn't have any problem getting the new flooring under the slideouts. I removed the storage drawer under the couch to get to that area. Removed the cabinet floor in the storage under the sink to get to that area. I used luxury vinyl plank as new flooring and so far it's worked out very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0926.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	133583  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you like vinyl and need to replace take a look at luxury vinyl tiles (LVT) you can replace a single tile.

I have been thinking about replacing the ceramic tile in my coach with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Looks real nice. What product did you use and did you glue it or edge staple it again?
Old 07-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Looks real nice. What product did you use and did you glue it or edge staple it again?
Mine is free-floating, click together vinyl planks. I used Allure Ultra, Sawcut Dakota. It expands and contracts very little. Total install cost was $500 (I did it myself) so if we want to change it out after five years or so we can easily remove it and replace it.

However, there are lots of brands on the market in all different kinds of configurations and quality. I do like US Floor's CORE-Tec Plus as its also very dimensionally stable.
Products | 5" Plank | USFloors

Mannington has some very nice Adura luxury vinyl planks as do other manufacturers.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
If you like vinyl and need to replace take a look at luxury vinyl tiles (LVT) you can replace a single tile.

I have been thinking about replacing the ceramic tile in my coach with it.
OK Why would you want to replace the ceramic tile? What problem are you having to warrant that?
Old 07-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Quote:
OK Why would you want to replace the ceramic tile? What problem are you having to warrant that?
Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The ceramic tile has cracked in two places due to flexing of the coach
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
engineered wood is another option
Old 07-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

FWIW I was waiting to see why the ceramic was going. I would not say I'd never buy a unit with it but I would not order one and it would be high on my "first things to change" list if I got a deal on a used unit. I just find wood or vinyl so much more user friendly.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Mine cracked while in storage over an exceptionally cold winter (didn't get to go south that winter). It split at each end of the passenger side slideout. It was edge stapled and that didn't allow the vinyl to contract in the cold.

I didn't have any problem getting the new flooring under the slideouts. I removed the storage drawer under the couch to get to that area. Removed the cabinet floor in the storage under the sink to get to that area. I used luxury vinyl plank as new flooring and so far it's worked out very well.
Looks really really nice. What did you do at the entry steps and around the bathroom. Did you also do the bedroom? The carpet Winnebago used in ours is really thin and cheap and isn't wearing well at all. I would like to say good bye but the president of my home owners association isn't quite ready.

Any tips, tricks or things to watch. we are looking at Shaw VersiFit. I plan to pull up the existing and start over.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Update. The flooring is manufactured by Syntec. In my case the product is Beauflor.

Their office in Indiana handles it. Their corporate office number is 1-800-526-8428.
Our good friend in the flooring business wasn't able to make any meaningful contact with the Syntec folks. They would never return my calls either.

So if you are an owner of a Winnebago with vinyl flooring more than 3 years old you will have replace the entire floor is your damage can't be easily repaired. This is quite contrary to their marketing claims to have every part needed and have it delivered within 24 hours.

The local dealer was as helpful as can be but...... The coach is 3 years old and out of warranty so the factory isn't much help and didn't seem to care, sooooo............
Old 07-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Looks really really nice. What did you do at the entry steps and around the bathroom. Did you also do the bedroom? The carpet Winnebago used in ours is really thin and cheap and isn't wearing well at all. I would like to say good bye but the president of my home owners association isn't quite ready.

Any tips, tricks or things to watch. we are looking at Shaw VersiFit. I plan to pull up the existing and start over.
I left the entry steps as they came from the factory. The carpet on the back of the steps is glued down with a very thick sticky black mastic that is almost impossible to remove. Same for the carpet in the cockpit so I left it. I left the carpet in the bedroom for now.

I left the original sheet vinyl in the bathroom. I put in a transition piece, that came with the vinyl planks, between the hall and bathroom.

The hardest part of the project was removing the original sheet vinyl. Whoever put it in must have been paid by the staple! Take your time; measure twice, cut once! Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0951.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	133943