Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

View 24V water infiltration and other issues

Long Post! Although I love my 2016 Winnebago View, I will probably not buy another Winnebago when I move up to Class A because of the service (lack of) that I have received from my local dealer, RCD Sales in Delaware, Ohio. My unit has been in three times for a roof leak that they cannot seem to fix as well as other issues they just cannot seem to fix.

I also had quite an issue last year with the recall on the View. The recall involved a radio switch wiring harness of some sort, so now I cannot control the radio volume with the steering wheel controls. After RCD handled the recall issue and removed the offending wiring harness, the check engine light would not go off. RCD said they could not turn off the check engine light because they didn't have the proper equipment to clear the code. Had to take my View to my local Mercedes dealer--they would not turn off check engine light because they said it was a Winnebago problem related to the radio electrical wiring recall! Finally, after many back and forth phone calls, RCD arranged for me to take my unit to another Mercedes dealer in town who agreed to turn off the check engine light.

Roof leak somewhere. After a hard rain, water pours in from the cab dome light area, specifically, the water pours in from the sunglasses holder! After paying several hundred dollars for RCD to remove the roof cap thing over the cab and reportedly fixing the leak, when I went to pick it up from storage to begin this camping season, water again poured out of the dome light area. When I take it back in a few weeks, that will be the 4th time it's been there for this issue.

Also, when using it for the first time this spring after RCD winterized it, I am getting only a mere trickle of water from the bathroom sink. I am sure I have the hot water tank bypass switch in proper position, because the toilet, shower, toilet sprayer, and kitchen sink all work fine and have normal water pressure, hot and cold.

One issue they have never been able to fix: the Rand McNally GPS entertainment center thing works fine, but it guages the outside temperature about 50 degrees lower than it actually is outside. So, the unit flashes an “ICY ROADS” warning message when it's 72 degrees outside. Not a huge issue, but annoying. Yes, I have it set to farenheight.

One more very minor point--back when my RV was under warranty, RCD re-adjusted a bedroom storage compartment latch because it was not lining up correctly. This cabinet latch is again loose and not correctly aligned.

I guest the point of this post is that literally everything (from simple to complex) I have asked my dealer to fix on my RV has not been done correctly.

I notified Winnebago customer service. I received a brief canned response saying they were sorry and would be forwarding my report to the dealer.

Signed, a frustrated View owner.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1479.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	169645  
gthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Gary, and welcome. Thanks for sharing your disappointing experience with the View. Unfortunately, I think many people have similar dealer service complaints.

We have been considering downsizing from our Fleetwood Bounder to a View/Navion but are still in the "tire kicking" phase. We have been so lucky with the Bounder (knock on fake imitation wood) that I'm almost afraid to let it go.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Gary
Your best bet is to take the coach to the factory service in Forest City IA. They have all the parts available and techs that only handle their product so arguably should know the issues and the solutions. You will need to make an appointment but if you are attending the GNR in July, could likely get it looked after then. Winnebago also have a facility to test for leaks after repairs so that should be properly corrected. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #4

Sorry to hear of your bad experience.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Well I am sorry to hear of your experience but it is very common. I suggest you will need to get up there and reseal the marker lights etc and find the leak yourself.

When we had our first View, 06V23H, I took it to the factory because it had been to three dealer shops in various places and the roof still leaked. They pulled out the cabover, resealed the big vent thing, treated it for mold and I headed off for home. It was better I thought. A few hundred miles from the factory driving into a campground and the overhead bed fell down on top of me while driving. Got a neighbor in camp to help me get it back up and screwed down properly.

They ran it through the rain tunnel as well.

Got home, it rained. Water poured into the rig, same way. I got out the scaffolding and started looking. Took off the stupid marker lights and sealed them properly. Putting sealant around the base does NOT stop a leak. Never had a single leak after that. It took a few hours to complete the work. I learned something I hope from that experience.

Good luck! These days it seems the factories turn out stuff with little regard to defects or quality of work. It does not matter who made it. Sad.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Gary
Your best bet is to take the coach to the factory service in Forest City IA. They have all the parts available and techs that only handle their product so arguably should know the issues and the solutions. You will need to make an appointment but if you are attending the GNR in July, could likely get it looked after then. Winnebago also have a facility to test for leaks after repairs so that should be properly corrected. Good luck
Good advise. The seminars are worth the trips. I had great luck with the Winnebago service in Iowa
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water