Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Valve replacements, extenders and TPMS questions

I'm trying to figure out what to do about the rear dual tires on my Vista 27N. It came with extenders on the inside tires. Outside tires only have little short metal extenders. It's difficult to check pressure and add air on both tires. I would like opinions on extenders vs having the valves replaced. I talked to one tire dealer that said new valves are the best option. Also interested if a TPMS is worth the money. If I get the new valves so that the pressure can be checked easily, maybe I don't need the TPMS. I've always had 5th wheels in the past so this tire problem is all new to me.

Mike
TravelinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had DuallyValve metal valve stems installed and they work great, Pricey but well worth the money in my opinion.
TPMS are also well worth having. You can't really tell when an inside dual is losing air as you drive and it can shred before you happen to stop and check it. If you are towing a car TPMS systems are especially valuable as a lot of damage to the toad can be caused very quickly if a tire goes flat and you can't feel that while driving either.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The monitors are not just for pressue. Some (or maybe most) also monitor the temperature inside the tire. We were on the "Sea To Sky" highway on our way North to Alaska and we had a lot of 18% grades. On one of the longer down hills, even with the engine brake on, we got an alarm on one tire for high temperature. We pulled over at a gravel turn-out and I got out my infrared temperature gun and I shot the brake pads that you can see from the outside. One was well over 200 degrees which was almost a hundred degrees over the others. We just sat for a while until the temperature was lowered and went on our way at an even slower pace so we didn't need to brake as much.

It's the first time that ever happened but it was the first time with such a long , steep grade. We were very happy that the monitoring system caught it and maybe saved us some damage or worse. I think a lot of the monitors are good and I only can talk about ours which is: Truck System Technologies system at Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems -*Truck System Technologies
We like it but I think other brands are also good. Main thing is to have it and get one that also does temperature.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMike View Post
I'm trying to figure out what to do about the rear dual tires on my Vista 27N. It came with extenders on the inside tires. Outside tires only have little short metal extenders. It's difficult to check pressure and add air on both tires. I would like opinions on extenders vs having the valves replaced. I talked to one tire dealer that said new valves are the best option. Also interested if a TPMS is worth the money. If I get the new valves so that the pressure can be checked easily, maybe I don't need the TPMS. I've always had 5th wheels in the past so this tire problem is all new to me.

Mike
I agree with the others.

In my opinion a TPMS system is very good insurance especially if you tow a dingy.

Depending on the system you choose you will have $300 to $400 in it.

I have the EEZ Tire system but there are many good systems out there.

Do your research and pick the one that is best for your situation.

Take it from someone who has has a sudden blowout on an inside rear dual a TPMS system would have paid for itself in that one instance.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Mike
You can read my blog on RV Tire Safety to learn about TPMS, Hose Extenders valves etc.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

With a tpms it is easy to check tire pressure, just turn it on and check reading, no tire gauge needed
magnumiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Update on my problem

I wanted to provide an update on this issue and where I stand. First - forget to state in my initial post that I have a 2013 Vista 27N. I ordered a TPMS system from Camping World and they were going to install it. Before I ordered, I confirmed that they would add the necessary extender to the outside tires (my inside tires came with extenders). CW said they would add the extenders and do "whatever was necessary" to make the system work. Well, that wasn't exactly true. To make a long story short, CW refused to add the extenders and (had I not stopped them) would have installed the TPMS in a manner that would required the tires to be removed to add air. Not a practical solution. I haven't found tire dealers that are helpful and one dealer flatly told me the dually valve stem replacements were apt to leak because of the bend. So I'm back to square one. I now have about 6 or 7 different air pressure gauges - even a specialty one that was a bit pricey. The real problem seems to be the simulator as I just can't get the gauge seated on the valve as the handle of the gauge hits the simulator. So, my question is, should I just be removing the simulator? Might be the easiest way to accomplish what I thought would be an easy task. I'm open for any suggestions.

Mike
TravelinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I too have a 2013 Vista 27N and had no problems having a tire company (Les Schawb) to install longer metal valve stems (not extenders that will eventually leak). It makes it very easy to check pressure and to add TPMS with external sensors. I got my longer metal valve stems from DuallyValve and they work like a champ. I still carry a tire gauge to check pressure at the start of the day and whenever I get an alarm. I have a TireMinder system that gives out numerous false alarms. Looking to change to a more reliable system.
Devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I wanted to provide an update on this issue and where I stand. First - forget to state in my initial post that I have a 2013 Vista 27N. I ordered a TPMS system from Camping World and they were going to install it. Before I ordered, I confirmed that they would add the necessary extender to the outside tires (my inside tires came with extenders). CW said they would add the extenders and do "whatever was necessary" to make the system work. Well, that wasn't exactly true. To make a long story short, CW refused to add the extenders and (had I not stopped them) would have installed the TPMS in a manner that would required the tires to be removed to add air. Not a practical solution. I haven't found tire dealers that are helpful and one dealer flatly told me the dually valve stem replacements were apt to leak because of the bend. So I'm back to square one. I now have about 6 or 7 different air pressure gauges - even a specialty one that was a bit pricey. The real problem seems to be the simulator as I just can't get the gauge seated on the valve as the handle of the gauge hits the simulator. So, my question is, should I just be removing the simulator? Might be the easiest way to accomplish what I thought would be an easy task. I'm open for any suggestions.

Mike
Simulators can cause clearance problems with either or both TPMS, extender hose or gauge.

My solution was to use some tin snips and pliers to ensure the simulator was not rubbing on the extender hose. I also made sure the outer end of the hose was firmly mounted and that I had a dual foot air chuck that would allow adding air when needed.
Maybe you need a more competent mechanic to do the install. It appears possible that CW and the tire store you were dealing with only knew how to change oil and other basic tasks.

Be sure you provide support to the hose end when adding air as simply pushing hard with an air chuck can cause the mount to loosen. The above system of mounting has worked with no leaks for me for about 30k miles.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just had Borg Dually Valves installed on my 2010 WGO Vista 30W. All is good now but it was sketchy at first. GCR Tires (owned by Bridgestone) in Glendale, AZ didn't sound convinced when I first showed them the valves but went ahead and installed them. Unfortunately, the left inner leaked about 20lbs per day. When I took it back, they jumped right on it with a great attitude and only a very slight, "I told you so!" They got it right the second time and the pressure has been holding for 3 days.

Unfortunately, in the process, they installed the wheel covers incorrectly such that the removable fake lug nuts are under the wheel covers instead of on top. That makes it impossible for me to remove the wheel covers without an impact wrench.

Bottom line, truck tire shops really don't know motorhomes. They were adamant that my tires needed to be at 105PSI so I let them fill it to that and immediately reduced them to 85PSI when I got home.

GCR in Glendale has the best customer service I've encountered at a tire shop but that doesn't mean they're experts on motorhomes.

As for TPMS, I have a TST 507 system with flow through sensors. One sensor has gone wonky (that's a technical term meaning "TU") and always reads 7-8 PSI too high. The other 5 are within 2-3 PSI of an accurate digital gauge. I treat the TPMS as an expensive slow leak and blow out detector. I'm glad I have it but the claimed accuracy on their site smacks of "marketing puffery." YMMV.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, replace, ace