Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Can you use the one board air compressor to put air in the tires when the jacks are down. I don't think it works since the air has been released from the suspension. Anyone know if it will work?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Can you use the one board air compressor to put air in the tires when the jacks are down. I don't think it works since the air has been released from the suspension. Anyone know if it will work?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yup, but I always start my motor to air the tires. Keeps the pressure up.
If you look at the air guage(near the generator) mine is always is over 100 lbs with the bags empty and jacks down.
Don't know exactly when it puts air in the air bags(after brake is off? When the coach starts to move??)but it is not immediate when you start the motor.
You can raise the jacks at anytime and I don't think it would matter if the air was in the air bags or not. Doesn't to me anyway. Maybe someone more knowledgable than me can tell us..Good Miles...
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You can use the onboard air anytime. The air compressor is driven by the engine and pumps air into 3 storage tanks on the motorhome. One of those tanks is located right in front of the rear axle, and the other two are right behind the front axle.

The air suspension is supplied with a volume of air from the tanks as well as the other air driven devices. Even though the air suspension is supplied from the air tank, the air does not dump out of the tank, only from the suspension when you dump the air bags. In this way, the other air driven devices function. As an example try hitting your air horn. It will work as will the auxillary air supply even when the suspension is dumped.

I inflate bike tires all the time with my onboard air when we are camping. Since I only need around 40 PSI or so and they don't hold much volume, I don't have to start the engine if I'm only inflating a few. Aas mentioned through, to inflate the motorhome tires you'll most likely have to run the engine to supply the volume and pressure they require.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It looks to me like this is how it works on my Ellipse 40FD 2006.

As ichn2go said, my gauge is normally around 100# with jacks down and engine off. It does not look to me like the air bags fill until after the jacks are up. I start the engine and air up the tires and then shut off the engine. Jacks do not leave the ground.

The reason I have had the opportunity to anaylse this is because I bought a set of tire covers. Normally I forget to put the covers on the tires prior to getting the jacks down and the slides out. Once I dump the air prior to setting the jacks, there is not enough room to get my fat hands around the tires in the wheel wells so I have to fill the suspension air bags to lift the coach high enough to get the covers on. The coach will not come up until I lift the jacks.

One of these days I am going to remember to put the tire covers on before I set up the coach.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe-K:
You can use the onboard air anytime.
As an example try hitting your air horn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suggest doing the air horn test about 10 PM in a campground....that'll make your presence known.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I totally completely agree with Bob on this. I have had to get in the habit of turning off the air horn switch. I tend to accidently hit the horn bar on my steering wheel early in the morning when I sit in the drivers seat to drink my coffee

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Adrian: I too had to get used to not dumping the air till after the tire covers were in place.
Sure makes it easier and no scrapes on my big hands.
The other thing I do is put a brick just under the edge of the rock guard before I lower the coach.This tilts the rock guard just enough to keep it from jamming on the ground and then I remove the brick. Good Miles, Jim
Old 04-16-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Of course, these guys are right (no surprise!) but I can give you another slant on the issue! I was convinced that I had some problem on my 05 Journey. I store it in a storage facility and it has been my habit to dump air when I put it away. I noticed a 'problem' when I returned and ran the engine because I would get the first blow on the air dryer and I noticed during a walk around that the coach was not up on the bags! I even mentioned it to the FL shop during some maintenance but they could not recreate the problem. I found that in order to get the bags filled, I had to put it in gear and roll it a few inches, then it would come up. Of course I thought all the worst till I read something here about having to hit the 'Store' function to get the bags to air up. Works like a charm and I felt stupid and glad that no one who I complained to knew what was really going on.

So, what do we learn from this? You can run your engine and use the air all day long and not have to worry about your bags affecting your jacks, as long as you don't hit store!

Russ

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Speaking of onboard compressors. We are transitioning from our truck camper to our new journey. I purchased a co2 tank to inflate the tires on my F-550 without having to wait a month of sundays for it to happen. How quick will the onboard compressed air top off (10-15 psi)the 22.5 tires on these motorhomes. I am trying to decide whether I should store my co2 tank or take it with us.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Being as old ,stiff and overweight as I am, I would say it takes about 3 minutes or less per tire. This is just a guess and includes getting down, removing cap, checking pressure several times and getting up.
Takes about 40 seconds to add 5 lbs again just a guess, but I do run the motor and it goes pretty fast I think..Good Miles
Old 04-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I use my buddies $300,000 2006 Allegro Bus to air up my gasser's tires.

I call his MH my $300k air compressor!
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:12 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
Can you use the one board air compressor to put air in the tires when the jacks are down. I don't think it works since the air has been released from the suspension. Anyone know if it will work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you should only measure tire pressure with full load (i.e. jacks retracted) on hard ground. Otherwise you may not get an accurate reading and could end up with an unsafe, under-inflated pressure.

In my personal experience tire pressure is 5psi lower with jacks down versus jacks up.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
Speaking of onboard compressors. We are transitioning from our truck camper to our new journey. I purchased a co2 tank to inflate the tires on my F-550 without having to wait a month of sundays for it to happen. How quick will the onboard compressed air top off (10-15 psi)the 22.5 tires on these motorhomes. I am trying to decide whether I should store my co2 tank or take it with us.

Thanks
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I believe the only issue that I have heard about is when you need to carry 115 or 120 pounds in your tires - then you might have a bit of a challenge because you are very close to the cut-out pressure of the compressor. Apparently the cut-out pressure can be adjusted by Cummins or Cat - I read somewhere where this guy needed 120 pounds (I think it was a Newmar product)and had Cat/Cummins make the compressor cut-out at 130 pounds.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I went to a Freightliner dealer for another issue but asked them about the popping sounds when the unit airs up. They asked me to air down to try to recreate the noise, but once down the coach would not come up. After phone calls to HWH and some costly labor time we figured out the store button trick by ourselves.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

The popping sounds you hear are the air bags "popping" back to their normal shape. It is normal and does no harm.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vicsryd:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
Can you use the one board air compressor to put air in the tires when the jacks are down. I don't think it works since the air has been released from the suspension. Anyone know if it will work? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you should only measure tire pressure with full load (i.e. jacks retracted) on hard ground. Otherwise you may not get an accurate reading and could end up with an unsafe, under-inflated pressure.

In my personal experience tire pressure is 5psi lower with jacks down versus jacks up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, I don't think that is correct. I'll check some sources and get back.

I found a good reason to carry a separate compressor with me. In the fall of 2004 we arrived with our Journey at a park in Florida where we would be staying for the winter. The question was how often to run the engine and for how long. I talked at length with the tech staff at Cat (who I found very good) and they were very emphatic that I should not run the engine AT ALL for the 5+ months it would be sitting. They said in the Florida climate there was no need to run it or to put anything in the oil or fuel (I did add a diesel fuel stabalilzer though).

So, what to do if you find your tires don't hold air well (and my XRV's sure didn't hold air well). In light of what Cat techs told me, I sure didn't want to have to run the engine (it should be taken up to operating temperature and probably run for a half hour at least to avoid moisture problems) so I was glad I had my compressor with me.

We left home in fairly chilly weather and arrived in Florida in hot weather. It is interesting to see the impact on tire pressures. The tire companies say that every 10 degree increase or decrease results in a corresponding pressure increase/decrease of 2 psi. Thus, when we got to Florida we had a good cushion. When returning it worked the other way and we had to add a couple of times while heading north.

This year our Cummins engine sat on our Florida pad without being touched for 5.5 months. We were really amazed how it started instantly. I have exercised the generator as required in the manual but I really wonder why frankly. Does a diesel gennie differ that much from a diesel engine that drives the MH? Kind of puzzling to a layman.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Does a diesel gennie differ that much from a diesel engine that drives the MH? Kind of puzzling to a layman.

Actually, I believe running the genset is to maintain the electrical side (magnetism of arm & brushes) more than maintaining the diesel. Obviously, the diesel will benefit from some run time.

On the issue of tire pressure with & without load

I believe it makes no difference, what you measure is what you get.

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Can someone tell me where the air line connection is on a 99 Adventurer 34V? Does it have one?