Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Using Elastomeric Coating on Slide-Out Roof

I've been battling leaks on the passenger side slide and am about to remove the slide cover (again) to try and seal the leak. I'm thinking of using Kool Seal elastomeric roof seal (looks like marshmallow cream). The slide out roof is metal, not fiberglass. Anyone ever tried this or know of any reason I shouldn't try it?

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
doc
Winnebago Owner

Is that a good idea? I would figure the slide needs a smooth top for the seal to make solid contact all the way across the top. Do you have a slide topper? Seals in good shape? It might be a problem if the seals are weather hardened or have slipped out of position.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Location: SD Resident; place in Green Valley AZ, and Mission TX
Keith,
I had a similar issue on the bedroom slide a couple of years ago. I purchased a self-leveling caulk (clear) and resealed all the seams. The hardest one, and the one that I suspect was the issue, is the seam that is closest to the inside wall, and can only be re-caulked from inside with the slide in. It was difficult, but it worked. It fixed the leaking. I don't recall the name of the caulk, but the instructions were to smooth the bead with soapy water and my finger.
Hope this helps.
I agree that doing anything to effect the slide surface that react with the seals may not be a good idea.
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The elastomeric coatings are pretty rough and would probably destroy the slide seal making the problem worse. They may even stick to the slide seal and start to rip it out when you open or close it so I would not go there. Use the Dicor self leveling caulk as mentioned
Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: SD Resident; place in Green Valley AZ, and Mission TX
Keith,
Winnebago has a list of sealants to use at various locations on your coach. I'm pretty sure I used the product type from their list, but maybe not their brand. The list may be in your "bag" or available from their web site.
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Keith K, we had a leak in the left front slide on our 03 Journey the water came down through the overhead cabinet. I used Eternabond tape on the complete seam. Eternabond has a nice smooth surface.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone; I suspect the leak is coming from where I covered the hole from the "former" electric slide lock (that's another story). I'll pull off the slide cover and take another look, also pull in the slide, see if I can remove the fascia, and check the inside seam. I'll forget the Koo-seal.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, slide