Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Use of Glue in Manufacturing ...Just Wondering

Just wondering how other brands do it!
I have had problems with 2 Winnebago coaches where the glue that hold on critical parts has failed. On my Chieftain a headlight fell off. On my Horizon the engine cover, side panels over the front wheels and headlight surround have either fallen off or become loose to the point of falling off.
Add the fact that the headliner is sagging in several places due as well to glue failure, and well you get the picture.

So I wonder. How prevalent is this practice? Have coach manufacturers forgotten about nuts and bolts. Is this really the state of the art?
Not trying to complain as much as trying to understand and add input into future purchase considerations.

Thanks
Roy
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Roy,
While at the present time, we're only experiencing one point of glue failure, it's not an immediate problem. I've got a body panel, at the bottom of the arc, just behind the left front tire that's coming loose due to glue failure. I could, carefully pry it out a little and clean and re-glue it with some sort of glue/silicone/contact/???? or where the bottom transcends under the coach, I have a point at which I can drill and put a small screw and washer and nut.

But I certainly see your point. We just finished watching one of those "Factory made shows" where they were making I think were, Kenworth trucks. Without a doubt, one of the most technical processes I've ever seen. Now, I was amazed that about 90% + of that cab is "LAMINATED" together. They had all the framing laid out and a super-robotic glue-gun proceeded to put a perfect, flawless bead of super-caulking glue all around the frame pieces and then another machine laid the cab panels etc on top of that glue. Then, the whole thing was heated for about 5 minutes to a couple hundred degrees and that was all she wrote.

Now, they show the cabs being tested in some wazoo bouncing machine to see if that glue had any form of premature failure. Nope, not at all. So, my point, there's glues out there that are or, maybe superior to what's been used to glue our rigs together in the past. But, the incentive has been to "hide" screws, nuts and bolts, and any form of fasteners over the years. The over the road trailers etc are still using an "aircraft rivet" of some type but, apparently no one minds seeing a zillion rivet heads on the outside of all those trailers.

But, no one wants to see them on or in a $150,000 brand new motor home. So, it 's up to the glue people to come up with a glue that holds up in all kinds of conditions, weather, vibration, a zillion miles of U.S. perfect condition roads (yeah sure) etc. So, what's the answer, not a clue. The old days of screws, nuts and bolts, rivets, and other types of visible fasteners showing themselves is OUT! Yes, you can still have them in hidden predicaments like holding cabinets to walls, and all the other applications where you won't see them.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Betcha Kenworth wasn't trying to glue anything..to anything, with a layer of paint in between, Llike Winnebago did ( does)...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Also, I imagine glueing is much faster and cheaper than drilling holes and applying rivets or screws during construction, which is the whole point of making these machines. Make as much profit as possible and let the customer make the necessary repairs when the glue fails. I have lost count of the number of places I have re-glued on my Meridian. Just hope Freightliner didn't use glue when they set the engine/transmission in the framework.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:43 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I had a side panel come loose right behind the rear wheel of my previous RV, a 2003 Horizon. I saw it flapping some, in the mirror as we were driving over the Rockies in Montana.

I temporarily secured it with some duct tape, and drove the 800 miles home. Once there, I pryed up the panel some, cleaned both surfaces with a wire brush and sand paper, then alcohol. I used the best 'construction' adhesive I could find in the local ACE hardware store, laid in the beads of glue, and clamped the panel into place for a day to cure. Hot, cold, and wet, lots of miles driven, that panel never came loose over the next three years that we owned the RV.

I think the glue joints as designed are fine, but if the factory doesn't do a good job of cleaning the mating surfaces first, the best glue in the world won't hold for long.

And I just hate to put any holes through that fiberglass wall panel if not necessary!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up gluing surfaces

On our 2011 View we have had persistant problems with the edge banding on the table, kitchen counter, and bathroom counter, coming loose to the point of falling off. Back to dealer several times. reglued and I even used weldwood contact cement after discussing it with dealer. They came through, and ordered new counter tops for dining, kitchen, bathroom counters. I suspect the prep work wasn't good.
hernyn, 2011 view K, smithfield NC
henryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #7

I would like to add if you have any problem, Go to a boat yard. Ask/Tell them of your problem ; they will sell you the best.. Boats just dont come apart at the seams At least ours 27 footer didn't.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote