Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

When we were having our windshield replaced, the tec found that the frame was rusty under the w/shield. Winnebago stepped up to the plate and paid for the sand and repaint. After worrying with an on and off awning for 18 months, it finally failed at the dealers and they replaced the box. Alas they could not repair the slide, they said they did not have the equipment to do so. Winnebago said they would cover if we can find someone to do it. Another trip to the factory this year is too much (3000 miles round trip with deisel at 3.09)so we are going to take it to Tom Schaeffers' RV in Shoemakersville, PA. They said they can pull the slide. I hope you all have good reports on them as I only found one post on search.[I]never heard of cracked slide guide shoes but thx to this this board, we knew what had happened when we saw the chewed up plastic on the ground. Wish us luck as this dealer is only 126 miles away.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

When we were having our windshield replaced, the tec found that the frame was rusty under the w/shield. Winnebago stepped up to the plate and paid for the sand and repaint. After worrying with an on and off awning for 18 months, it finally failed at the dealers and they replaced the box. Alas they could not repair the slide, they said they did not have the equipment to do so. Winnebago said they would cover if we can find someone to do it. Another trip to the factory this year is too much (3000 miles round trip with deisel at 3.09)so we are going to take it to Tom Schaeffers' RV in Shoemakersville, PA. They said they can pull the slide. I hope you all have good reports on them as I only found one post on search.[I]never heard of cracked slide guide shoes but thx to this this board, we knew what had happened when we saw the chewed up plastic on the ground. Wish us luck as this dealer is only 126 miles away.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

edit. Our dealer said they had never heard of or seen cracked shoes but thx to this board giving us a heads up on this problem, we knew what had happened.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Bea,
Tom Schaffers Rv is a top notch dealer and does super work and they are very nice people there. I had them fix my delamination on my 1996 Minnie Winnie and they did a super job. In fact when I went back to pickup the coach they helped me with car dolly and to load car as I had never done that on a loaner dolly. Shame it is so far away but it was far away from NJ at the time. Good Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thx Tom, makes me feel better, don't want to make that Forest City trip again this year.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

What causes the slide glide shoes to crack? Is there anything that should be done to prevent this or is it just another defect?
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Glad to hear that Winnie is taking responsibility for the repairs

The cracked plastic slide glides was just discussed - I think it was this forum.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When we had our slide guides replaced at Forest City, I was told the slide was out of alignment. I was led to believe that this contributed to the failure of the guides.

I think in the future if I were to have a problem of this type I would take my MH to HWH.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I just got my coach back from my local dealer for the slide repair. It was the first and only (to date) for my dealer. Winnie allowed them 24 hours for the repair. HWH provided the bearing plates. When I spoke to HWH they had said Winnie installed the system out of alignment. Winnebago covered the repair after it was out of warranty and they did both sides. Due to the patio side design I can't view the mechanics so I don't know what they did. I can see some shims that were added to the street side. The factory apparently sent detailed photos and instructions to affect the repair.
The slide appears to move smoother. I will have more experience with it after this weekend and will report if things go sour.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

C Zimm, Welcome to the forum!!

Doesn't look in any of your previous posts that anyone "officially" welcomed you....

As a Winnebago Owner we can give that area under your screen name some official "Winnebago Owner's Forum" karma if you'd like....it's painless,fun and FREE!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Hiya Cliff! Glad to see you are on the forum posting

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Oddly enough I've been around for a few years but have difficulty posting. It all appears as (for lack of a better term) hieroglyphics and I end up not knowing exactly what is typed unless it's short simple. I have now discovered that I can write it out on "word" and then cut and paste. In the past a forum helper attempted to solve my problem but to no avail.
Since it's so much trouble to create a quick response etc. (I'm basically just lazy), I normally don't get involved. I don't have the same problem with the laptop so guess I should get down to the computer store and find out how to correct it.
I've had to change identity in an attempt correct the glitch and that didn't help. Anyway, I keep an eye out for things going on.
Just got back from several days at the local lake and the slide repair appears to be working. In fact I think it's even a bit smoother when retracting.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #13
PDB
Winnebago Camper

Tell me about "slide guide shoes".
The reason I ask is that earlier this week I found a piece of white plastic on the ground, under the rear rail of the big slide. It is about the diameter of a cigarette and about one inch long. Poking around the slide, I found that this piece was part of the bottom section of the tube that the slide rails go into. The similar plastic pieces on top and sides, thru which the slide rails pass, of the rail were fine. Does that make sense?
Is this what you mean by a "slide guide shoe"?
How much trouble am I in running with this broken? I was in Forest City in June and they realigned that slide.
Thanks for any help.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I've also had several pieces of my white plastic slide come out over the last couple weekends. I can see where the lower glide is broke in several pieces and coming out. I need to take a look to see how they are changed.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

That is the problem. You can't repair it your self, it's a shop level repair as the rails are out of alignment. The bearing plate (shoe) must be replaced; if not, the slide will eventually be metal to metal and you don't want that.
My recommendation is, do not extend the slide to the point that it drops level to the main floor.
The pieces of white plastic found below the slide rail is, in fact a broken shoe.
Get it to a repair facility ASAP to prevent further problems. Once mine did that the slide retraction became jerky and noisy. I was concerned that it may bind in the out position.
I don't mean to be an alarmist but it must be fixed soon.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

C Zimm,

Thanks for the advice. I guess I've got to start looking for someplace to service it. I have noticed it seems like my large slide is retracting slower than it used to which I had thought was due to my slideout gaskets seeming dry. Their squeaking against the slide so I plan on lubing them this weekend.

Replacing the plastic shoe does sound like a priority though. I'll have to give HWH a call.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Joe,

Let us know what HWH says. If they recommned being pro-active and replacing the plastic shoes on a rig of our vintage, I will be driving within a few miles of HWH in Moscow, IA in about 2 weeks. Wonder if they are equipped to do this repair or would refer us to Winnebago?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:17 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Smlranger:
This is not an HWH problem. It is owned by Winnebago as they did the installation and some have been done improperly, it's an alignment problem. I doubt very much that you will get Winnie to repair it if it isn't broken. In fact, I wouldn't touch it unless you see it going south.
Early on I called HWH and they sent me to Winnebago....it is an assembly problem!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:37 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

told us not to use the slide, if it all breaks, it will bind. PDB , Forest City realighned(adjusted our slide last Sept and HWH said the guide broke because it wasn't done correctly) I hope this other dealer we are going to can get it right. The awning fix lasted till we got home and we need to return to the local dealer for that. Now sometimes it goes out, then ticks, goes back in. Or works perfectly depending on how it feels. We told A&E, they can give us a manual one but they say they will get it fixed. We are very frustrated.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Found that a couple of my slide guides/shoes were broken. The slide was out of adjustment from Winnebago and the dealer made an adjustment when I made the purchase in '04. Hate to drive 1000 miles to get it repaired but made an appointment with HWH. Hoping to get it setup right this time.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote