Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

went to daytona....ac no cooler than 86.....looked at ducts again tape came loose again retaped temp down to 73...took to selling dealer....they said they dont have to remove cap..just loosen called winnebago back they are covering it....some days the bear gets you...some days you get warranty extension...things are good today
Old 07-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

went to daytona....ac no cooler than 86.....looked at ducts again tape came loose again retaped temp down to 73...took to selling dealer....they said they dont have to remove cap..just loosen called winnebago back they are covering it....some days the bear gets you...some days you get warranty extension...things are good today
Old 07-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

THE SAD PART IS WINNEBAGO KNOWS THERE IS A PROBLEM BUT STILL DOESN'T HAVE A FIX!
MINE CAME LOOSE IN 03 THEY REMOVED THE REAR CAP AND METAL TAPED WRAPPED THE WHOLE THING FROM THE TOP TO THE BOTTOM. NICE AND COOL NOW!

SOMEDAY MAYBE THEY'LL USE A PVC FLEX DUCT, BUT WHO KNOWS IT MIGHT COST 3 CENTS MORE A FOOT!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Could you clarify where the tape is coming loose? Is it on a seam along the length of the duct or where two pieces on duct join together? I don't think that I have a problem but I want to keep an eye out for the beginning of one.

Thanks,
Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago makes a duct by making a box, on the side where the box comes together they use (one) piece of metal tape to close the box. The problem is with expansion, vibration, contraction and unprepared surfaces the tape comes apart. This allows the box to open thus heating and air conditioning the outside shell!
What a engineering marvel!
Are they smarter then a fifth grader?

To check it turn the system on full blast A/C use a long pole like a long fishing rod and place a small piece of ribbon on the end. Running it along the duct you'll see it flapping like a flag in a gale wind....if you have a leak..
More folks should check it to make sure it's OK...
We drove 200 miles in 102* weather with only the dash air on. I turned on the AC while setting up and inside was 76 nice and COLD! My wife put on a sweater and jeans!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks,
I will go fishing this weekend.
Pete
Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

ACTUALLY I HAD TWO LEAKS ONE AT THE CONNECTION AT THE LOWER CURVE WHERE IT MEETS THE SQUARE BOX YOU CAN FEEL AIR AROUND THE JOINT....THE SECOND ON I TOOK OUT RIGHT TAILLITE AND BRACKET AND ENLARGED HOLES WITHOUT REMOVING MOUNTING HOLES.........USED FOIL TAPE AND TEMPORARY PATCHED IT WORKED FOR THE RACE CAME OFF ON THE WAY HOME...........
Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When you say the "lower curve" do you mean where the duct enters the AC unit itself at the bottom of the vertical riser duct?

Pete
Old 07-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago, if you're monitoring this thread, you can solve this problem by pre-treating the duct surface with 3M # 94 tape primer and then apply 1 strip of 3" 3M aluminum foil cloth reinforced tape. Get the correct number from Tom S. in the Industrial Tape Division. Possibly # 363 - I can't remember anymore and I threw away the books when I retired
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PeteB:
When you say the "lower curve" do you mean where the duct enters the AC unit itself at the bottom of the vertical riser duct?

Pete </div></BLOCKQUOTE>there is a curved piece 3" wide about 14 " long coming from evap 90 degree bend curving upward about 10" from bottom there was a joint of those two pieces cold air coming all around that joint ...that ones easy to tape from bottom but if you look up with a lite you will see that the side joint of the upper box has a slit in it and ac is pouring out.....my slit started about 4 feet off the ground and went up past the tailite......when i went to my dealer the techs said they have seen where the rear cap is sweating from the leak........
Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I used Gorilla Duct tape to replace and repair my ducts. This is the best tape I have ever used.
Omurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Is there any way to seal the duct going up the inside of the rear cap without removing the cap? Some place I seem to recall reading about a paint sealant that could be spread on with a very long handled brush (like fastened on the end of a broom handle) but I don't remember what it was. Anyone familiar with this?
Wagonmaster2
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Had to seal all the AC duct joints in my stick house several years ago. Used a product from RCD Corp called #6 Mastic. Bucket says "Fibered-Elastomeric-Exterior Grade for Thermal Insulation". Put it on with an old paint brush and it is still sealing all the connections. Not bad for the hot sticky climate of SE Ga. Can be found at any bldg supply. I think it would hold up well on motorhome applications however applying the stuff could be a real mess. Hope this helps.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

As I've written we also had this problem on our '06 vectra. What is perplexing to me is that this has been going on since at least 2003 and no fix has been put in place by the factory. C'mon winnie AIR COND. is IMPORTANT!!!

reminds me of the front door latch's to the genny that kept coming off because they where glued on.......and a bunch kept falling off. Geez, I love my vectra but one has to wonder why the simple fixes are put in place.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I think it's $$$$$ or speed! God forbid we should slow the line down and do it right! Sales are down slow the line down... Maybe what comes out the other side might be a tic better
Old 07-16-2007, 03:48 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

It is unbelievable that Winnie did not use a reliable duct system in all their coaches. Especially as difficult as it is to get to it and repair it. I was told by a dealer once that Winnie had a consumer council of owners that met with them to give input on these things. I now believe that might have been sales hype versus reality.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote