Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

One of the options on our Horizon was undercoating, is this like a cars undercoating? I do not see any trace of any type of undercoating anywhere but maybe I am looking for the wrong thing. Would appreciate all input. Thanks

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

One of the options on our Horizon was undercoating, is this like a cars undercoating? I do not see any trace of any type of undercoating anywhere but maybe I am looking for the wrong thing. Would appreciate all input. Thanks

Old 03-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Was undercoating a factory option or a dealer option. I wasn't aware of Winnebago doing any undercoating; although I think it's a good idea.
BradandJanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

This was factory option that I had selected.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #5

We have the factory option of undercoating....its more like a thick black paint....all underneath the coach except the drivetrain....

Glad to have it up here with all the salt on the roads....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had the opurtunity to look under bkk's rig after he found copious amounts of corrosion on his new MH. He was suppose to have factory undercoat but I saw very little if any. There was a little overspray on the tanks and afew other items but not on the critical areas. Undercoating is not an option on my new 07 Journey and I plan to have it done at a local place when it arrives. Cost ?? I strongly suggest that if rig id new then it is probably a good idea to have it done. If rig is a year or more then it may be too late. All to often corrosion can be locked in place and due to a phenomenon known as crevice, oxygen deficient or microbial attack can increase to corrosion process.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jk_and_dog:
I had the opurtunity to look under bkk's rig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is "bkk"?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

We ordered our coach with undercoating (about a $350 option) and it is very obvious on the house part of the rig. As I remember lots of the Freightliner frame was not undercoated however.

Surface rust of major steel parts isn't a big deal; some steel buildings and structures are even designed to rust with the rust as the finished coating.

However rust is a big concern where it occurs on fastenings (nuts/bolts/etc.) or hose ends and the like.

I have never heard about anybody undercoating their rig after it leaves the factory - I don't see why it isn't possible though.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

So, let's say you have done afterwards. How do you keep the undercoating from getting into the alternator, starter, junction boxes, radiator, on hoses, fans and on and on? I would think the undercoating could cover up some very critical electical connections that you may want to access at some time in the future? I've seen these places that undercoat cars and they just stand back and let it rip. I am just asking not saying it is a bad idea. Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We had it done by the factory when we ordered ours. Even then when I inspected it I found places that had been missed. So I purchased some spay on undercoating and did it myself. I still crawl under there at least once a year and do a touch up on it. As for avoiding certain areas as long as you are careful and/or cover any areas you don't want coated with tape or some type of shielding you'll be ok.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Ah getting old and can't type worth a darn...it should be bbk. (I think)
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We had ordered undercoating from the factory on our 2005 Vectra and after seeing what they call an undercoat job, it was a waste of money...I could of done the same thing with a spray can of undercoat...they missed more than they covered.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I will agree that the factory did a "very" poor job. We will be attending the Factory rally this year and will see if we can get them to correct this. Thanks all for your replys

Old 03-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #14

Only way I could be for sure that we had the undercoat option, is by looking at one that didn't.

This isn't the old fashioned thick black stuff that our dads had sprayed on our Fairlanes, but it looks more like black paint. And its only painted on the coach area. NO frame or moving parts are coated (and that is the correct way to do it).