Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Under floor leak

We have a used 2017 Minnie Winnie towable trailer and have been having a problem locating a water leak that pools in the insulation under the front section of the trailer. Found the problem last year, cut an opening in the membrane to allow the water to drain and insulation to dry and found out the heater element in the water heater corroded and leaked a little. Fixed that and checked it. This year prior to sanitizing it( it did have winter antifreeze in the lines over the winter) and there was still some minor pooling. Process of elimination, it does not appear to be sewage as there was no smell. There was also no red tint to it(antifreeze related), and as it was stored outside during the winter(southern Ontario Canada winters), leads me to believe it is rain or snow melt. There wasn’t much but don’t know how to locate the source without removing the floor membrane which I hope I don’t have to do but also don’t want to seal the membrane which will eventually rot the floor. Sealed the water inlet to the fresh water tank and don’t see and rusted or water damaged entry points. Can see the pump area under the slide and it appears to be dry. Any help locating the leak would be appreciated!
Wingsfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Similar issue?

Your winterizing and mine and the water issue seems very similar. I removed the membrane and all the soaked insulation; just to be on the safe side, I am waiting a day or two to dry things out.
I hope your problem was located and fixed. Would you please text me and let me know what happened and the steps you took to remedy things as well as reseal the trailer? Thanks. Mike
Elk River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If it's a weather leak it gets harder as we have such a hard time getting weather to test and spraying water is not always the same as letting snow set and figure how to get in!
If you want to go to a bit of trouble, testing for a pressure water leak can be reasonably simple if we get the right parts on hand. One problem with slow leaks is that they can do weird stuff like set and pool on top of something, so that we don't see it and then when we move the RV, we suddenly get a tub full of water coming down somewhere.
So to get a better idea of whether we have a slow leak we can set up a pressure situation.
If access to a faucet is available, a small water pressure gauge can be worth buying:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Water-So...H100/308724108
Addd this to a wye along the line from the faucet to the RV, Keep all inside faucets closed and not leaking, then turn on the pressure to get what your water pressure is. This makes the meter flip up to record, then turn the pressure off. This leaves the pressure reading isolated between the faucet and RV, so we can go off and come back later to find if the pressure has dropped. This does require that all the faucets and connections involved have to hold good but if the pressure drops very much, we can say we have a leak and most likely in the RV fresh water system.
The $15-20 dollars? Yeah, I'll do that to know for sure where the bear is hiding!
Good luck to you as it's far easier to set here and write about it than to solve the problem.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I am having the same issue. I will be watching for updates.
Michael360wa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak