Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Ultimate Freedom Outside mirror removal

2001 Ultimate Freedom - I am trying to replace my outside mirrors with new ones. I purchased two new Hella (made in Germany) mirrors but I am having trouble removing the old one. It appears that the arm slides into a sort of dovetail joint/wedge mount. I assumed that I could just simply bang on the arm at the hinge end and that it would just slide off the mount. However, I see that the arm mount has a threaded hole in it that might be used to prevent the arm/mirror from bouncing out of the dovetail/ wedge mount. I am not sure if it is true that I would have to remove that screw from the inside or not.

I called Winnebago Owner relations and the person I spoke to seems to think that I can just simple bang upward on the arm to pop it loose. He thinks that the mirror in held in by gravity and the friction produced by the moment of the mirror at the end of the ar. I've tried banging upward with a piece of wood, hitting it with a mallet, to no avail.

Does anyone know how to remove this mirror?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror Base1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	119619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mirror Base2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	119620  

mercury49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum. I can't help with removal, but am interested in the process and also in knowing more about the replacement mirrors that you selected. I have the same mirrors on my 03 Ultimate Advantage. Mine are still doing well, but the day might come when they are not.

To clarify for those not familiar with differences between different Ultimate year models, these mirrors are the "bus type" that are mounted at the top of the window pillar, NOT the ones some Ultimate have that mount at the bottom of the pillar.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Hello AFChap. I am replacing my old "bus type" mirrors with brand new ones of the same type; i.e., "bus type", same Winnebago part number. The old ones have problems with the remote adjustment function and the arm on the driver's side moves out of place when driving into a stiff head wind.

BTW, thanks for setting me straight on the terminology. From reading past postings about these mirrors, I have learned that the mirrors were made by Hella in Germany and that Hella apparently stopped making them such that a few years ago, Winnebago could no longer supply replacements. I think the ones I have are either NOS or special order. They are quite expensive at about $1K each.

I think I would have preferred the modern, side mounted type but these bus type are of very good quality in design and build. It was the simplest solution for us, since I suspect that trying a completely different style might entail considering engineering in order to provide a similarly strong mounting base.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I too like these mirrors. My pax side has occasionally moved in a stiff headwind over the years ...the first time a few months after we bought it. After one trip to a dealer who had no clue but and tightened it up after a phone conversation with Winnebago using my wrenches, I learned how to do it myself. It normally holds in place a year or two before moving again.

Adjustment on mine does not goes as far as I sometimes want, especially on the pax side. But I got them to the point where they work for me.

I was wondering how you would mount a different type. I agree that would likely be a real challenge!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I am not sure exactly how one would mount a different mirror. I am assuming that if the different mirror was the same weight as the bus style mirror, that we might need to beef up the body panel to which we are mounting the different mirror. The mount for the bus style ones we have is pretty beefy. It is not flimsy sheet metal that it is mounted to. It appears to be 1/4-inch steel, although it is probably cast.

So far, I haven't had any success in removing the broken mirror. I decided to take the new mirrors to the body shop at which we are getting some dents repaired and painted. I have told them about my experience in trying to remove the mirrors. I will ask them how they did it after they have succeeded in replacing the old mirrors with the new ones.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Had issues with my passenger side mirror, no left/right movement and was looking at replacing the assembly as you are, however, the price was a bit too much so i never removed the entire assembly, just had to find a replacement motor which was 40$. Still was a PIA just replacing that so I can not imagine the assy. I'm sure the body shop folks will figure it out.
mcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Ultimate Freedom mirror

Interestingly enough, I was wondering if the Ultimate Freedom bus type mirrors were adjustable from the outside. The power adjustment of both mirrors works just fine, but I'm already at the limit of movement for both - and I'd like a little more movement of the mirrors.

2003 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom 40ED
WYOrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ultimate Freedom Outside mirror removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOrver View Post
Interestingly enough, I was wondering if the Ultimate Freedom bus type mirrors were adjustable from the outside. The power adjustment of both mirrors works just fine, but I'm already at the limit of movement for both - and I'd like a little more movement of the mirrors.

The top mounted hanging mirror assembly will turn fairly easily by hand. It's a matter of trial and error to set them the way that'll work best for you. And I had the same problem as others with the arm moving in strong winds (and when I hit a few tree branches!). But I just tightened the bolts and the problem hasn't returned. But it took me a few tries cos you really gotta reef on them.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
The top mounted hanging mirror assembly will turn fairly easily by hand. It's a matter of trial and error to set them the way that'll work best for you. And I had the same problem as others with the arm moving in strong winds (and when I hit a few tree branches!). But I just tightened the bolts and the problem hasn't returned. But it took me a few tries cos you really gotta reef on them.
The top-mounted assembly will also pivot side to side, etc. I noticed one of mine was angled/not straight with the side of the coach. A bit of pressure at the bottom of the mirror got it to pivot a bit in the top mount.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

There is a plastic curved piece that covers the mount. It just snaps off if you pinch it a bit. You'll find a set screw (outside) , behind the curved piece, that holds the tapered sections together.
Take care not to jerk the wiring for the heated mirrors function and mirror adjustment functions loose.

Oops. my brackets are cast aluminum with a single dovetail on each side, your pictures appear to be shaped sheet metal.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal