Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #101
Winnebago Camper

The failures were not all catastrophic and certainly not all water pumps. Those water pumps that failed were an abberation.. a fluke which WH took care of immeadiately. I also had a long phone conversation with one of the owners of a coach like mine who had one of those failures. He was not worried about having another one, not one bit. He was pleased with how WH handled the problem and also felt sure that his coach had suffered a fluke and not some kind of built in failure.

As for not noticing UFOs on the road...I can understand that..how would you know if you saw one? They look just like diesel pushers. If mine were parked next to a HR Vacationer DP you would not be able to tell the difference until you looked at the window sticker. I put an unleaded gas only sticker on the gas flap just to make sure no one tries to put diesel fuel in the tank.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #102
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I put an unleaded gas only sticker on the gas flap just to make sure no one tries to put diesel fuel in the tank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I put an unleaded gas only sticker on the gas flap just to make sure no one tries to put diesel fuel in the tank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha, that would indeed be a bummer, In addition to the hassle, what to do with nearly 500.00 worth of "mix"..rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #103
Winnebago Watcher

I have been following this post for some time and believe it is time to add my 2 cents on the subject.

I am one of the owners of a HR 38PLT who talked with "Gramps" prior to his purchase. I can candidly say I am very happy with my purchase of the HR on a UFO chassis and would not hesitate to purchase again if I had to. I previously owned an Allegro 35DA on a Workhorse 20.5 chassis and had my share of issues around the fuel pump pickup, fire in the steering column, Actia problems, brake problems etc. With all this said, Workhorse has always stepped up to the plate on the issues I had and repairs cost me nothing, so cudos to Workhorse. May not have always been a happy camper, but my issues were addressed in an expeditious manner.

With respect to the issue on waterpump failures, I am aware of only two which have been highly publicized and beat to death on two different forums. One is with a Monaco constructed coach and one with a Winnebago constructed coach. This, in my mind is not big failure item if we take into consideration how many Actia failures which have been well documented, or how about the brake issues around some Workhorse chassis' have been documented? What are the statistics on these failures? 5% or 15% or 20% of coaches built with Workhorse chassis? Seems to me, some are trying to kill a flea with an elephant gun.

I for one, am looking forward to the much anticipated 38PLT reunion of the 14 coaches built by Monaco on a UFO chassis as I feel Monaco is missing the boat bigtime with a cost effective product which delivers on quality and performance.

By the way, for those who believe the UFO is overpriced, on a MSRP comparison between an Allegro Bay and the Holiday Rambler 38PLT, I am able to take my wife out for some very nice candlelight dinners with the difference between models on similar gas configured units.

Best Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #104
Winnebago Camper

Hi there Lash.

I have left a message with a dealer in MS who just sold a HR38PLT. I told them I want to contact the owner for the purpose of us getting together somewhere. Colton RV has two 38PLTs on their lot, Holiday World has one, maybe. So that makes 11 of us who own now and I suppose that includes the LaPalma 38PLT that Lazy Days sold. I hope to find out who owns that one because any 38PLT owner should be part of our group don't you think? By the way the Allegro Bay 35 something was on my short list as well. It couldn't come all that close to the HR.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #105
Winnebago Watcher

I think if Tiffin offered the "UFO" with the Allegro Bay series, it would have been successful. A few other companies use the Freightliner "FRED" chassis, like Newmar (Grand Star), Gulf Stream (many models) and Safari Motor Coach (Simba), but it is Tiffin that is selling tons of "FREDS" with the Allegro and Allegro Bay models. As a matter of fact, the only "FREDS" I've seen while camping, have been Tiffins. I did see a new Gulf Stream "FRED" at Hart City RV in Elkhart, Indiana. However, it appears that Bob Tiffin is going to stick with the Freightliner "FRED"! Chuck/bagman57.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #106
Winnebago Watcher

At the present time, none of us knows exactly if any other class A manufacturers plan on using the Workhorse "UFO" chassis, but we do know that we can get a "UFO" from Winnebago (Destination & Latitude), Forest River Georgetown (2 models), and Rexhall. It is entirely possible that once the RV public finally realizes what a good platform/chassis the "UFO" is, it will be too late, as by then it will be just a past pleasant memory! JMHO, Chuck/Bagman57.
Bagman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #107
Winnebago Camper

Our UFO water pump issue has been resolved,we replaced the electric fan clutch as well as a new water pump.It passed the simulated Dyno test with flying colors!!!
This chassis has some extremely cool features.
The info center will not only warn you of an issue,but tell you what it is!!
The headlights compensate for a burned out bulb,the high beams will come on at low voltage to keep you seeing the road good until you find a replacement,automatically.

It is obvious Workhorse has done thier homework on the chassis & in my opinion they have hit a homerun
Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #108
Winnebago Camper

Mike, does it come with a spare water pump and coupling? How many miles were on this unit when the pump failure occured? What is a simulated Dyno test?

Dieselclacker
Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #109
Winnebago Camper

It was supposed to read simulated "hill" test on the Dyno,sorry I was in a hurry.This water pump failed do to the fan clutch issue,we have seen viscous fan clutches do the same thing.