Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2008, 02:55 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

RON55, that'd be reverse pitch on the fan blades, not the water pump itself. The pump is probably identical to the 8.1 in the W20 series.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:36 AM   #42
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RON55:
Reverse blades in a water pump, now that is something you won't find at your local GM or auto parts store. What else is particular to the gas pusher? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>RON55, Since you asked:

Workhorse UFO Platforms Specifications

GVWR 26000
GCWR 30000
CURB WEIGHT 7350

Capacities:
GAWRF -- 9500
GAWRR -- 17500

Wheelbase Selections: 262 inches (exclusive)

Suspension: Proprietary Hendrickson system w/ front mounted mono-leaf springs and sway bar characteristics integrated into the front axle, Bilstein shocks.
Rear axle; coil springs, trailing arms, Torque Box, Bilstein shocks

Rear Axle Ratio: 6.17

Tires: Michelin XRV 255/80R22.5
Wheels: 22.5 x 7.5" Steel or optional polished aluminum

Brakes: Meritor WABCO HPB Quadhydraulic, 4-Wheel Disk, 4 Channel ABS

Steering: 55? Wheel Cut

Fuel Tank: 100 Gallons

Pedals: Adjustable pedals (3" adjustment)

Frame Rail: 50,000 psi constant section featuring "huck bolt" fasteners

Bulleted items on the UFO include and are not limited to:

" Wide Open Cockpit
" Generator In Front
" Shorter Driveshaft
" Unitized Cool Pack Below Floor Level
" Universal Fuel Option
" Workhorse Smart "WISE" Circuitry
" Standard Ahrens Touch Pad Shifter
" 55? Wheel Cut
" Pass Through Storage Options
" 100 Gallon Fuel Tank
" Huck Bolted Throughout
" Shielded Hoses, Pipes and Wires
" Flat floor - no doghouse or engine cover
" 90 degree steering shaft and box - greatly reduces bump steer

There you go and I'm sure there are a few more items that I have over looked that differentiate the UFO from any other vehicle on the road. Personally, I would be thrilled to own one. It rides like a huge SUV, handles like a sports car and stops quicker than an equivalently weighed RDP with air brakes.

Aside from that there's no particular difference.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Personally, I would be thrilled to own one. It rides like a huge SUV, handles like a sports car and stops quicker than an equivalently weighed RDP with air brakes.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So would I
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 AM   #44
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DriVer:
There is nothing at the moment that fails all UFO motorhomes regarding water pumps. Recently the toilet failed on the ISS and they had 2 spare pump motors. Both failed. I think they worked through their toilet issue by getting a 3rd pump.

DriVer, Could it be that Workhorse hired the same toilet engineers from NASA to design the reverse pitch fan and waterpump on the UFO power package? You don't suppose?? Naw, couldn't be!

Dieselclacker
Old 06-23-2008, 05:21 AM   #45
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dieselclacker:
You don't suppose?? Naw, couldn't be! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-23-2008, 05:21 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:

" Universal Fuel Option
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the UFO with diesel engine being manufactured?? If so, who is building on it.

Cummins ISB 6.7L; 2007 emissions compliant diesel**
International MaxxForce 7; 2007 emissions compliant diesel***

** Engine available by Spring 2007
*** Engine available by Fall 2007.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #47
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<LI> Universal Fuel Option
Is the UFO with diesel engine being manufactured?? If so, who is building on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, I can say for sure that Cummins is out of the question and that option has been closed to the best of my knowledge.

The International Truck & Engine, MaxxForce 7; 2007 emissions compliant diesel engine on the other hand is a product from the parent company so IF I were a betting man I would say the MF7 would be the diesel engine of choice. I believe this engine is going to be spec'ed out at 350HP/600lbs ft.

Regarding the engine being available for the Fall of 2007, that's correct! The engineering is in the can so they could go with a diesel at any time if they wanted to.

There aren't any OEMs at the moment that have ordered the diesel UFO. The RV business for the past 6 months or more has been in a holding pattern with some RV companies running out of fuel. As soon as the need exists I'm sure that WCC will be pleased to fill orders since they are a Custom Chassis company and they can react to need fairly quickly.

When 2010 (one more model year) comes around and the 8.1L engine is retired, the most suitable candidate regarding HP and Torque in my opinion would be the ITE MF7.

Is there a fire breathing small block out there that can handle the emissions requirement past 2010 for a Class 6 type vehicle? Only the Shadow Knows! (and he ain't talking)

It's going to be interesting to see what WCC will be showing this year at the RVIA Show in Louisville? One can only conjecture that it could be the long-awaited diesel powered UFO. Perhaps as soon as the PRVCA Show in Hershey might present new products but we'll have to wait and see.

This past January in Tampa, WCC introduced the 22K GVWR gas powered UFO with an Allison 1000MH, 6 speed transmission.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #48
Winnebago Camper

[quote]Is there a fire breathing small block out there that can handle the emissions requirement past 2010 for a Class 6 type vehicle? Only the Shadow Knows! (and he ain't talking)

quote]

GM thinks the 6.0 engine is a good substitute for the 8.1 in their 3/4 and one ton pickups.
The HP is almost there but not the torque and torque is what is needed.
Remember "There is no substitute for cubic inches"

Lee

'Retirement is grossly underrated '
Jo/Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #49
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oops -- I wasn't referring to routine service but the actual repair itself. I was thinking about how quickly a water pump showed up and "maybe" it was a pump from a supply house they were able to obtain locally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The repair facility told me they had to obtain the parts from Workhorse so I assume that they did in fact do that. I hope to hear from the Workhorse rep tomorrow.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #50
Winnebago Watcher

Wayne! Nice to see you keep your cool under these circumstances. I would have been really upset when the 2nd pump failed and took out the radiator. It will be interesting to hear what the Workhorse rep tells you.

To my (strange) way of thinking it seems that if the fan is pushing air away from the water pump, towards the radiator, than the equal & opposite reaction says that the pump shaft is being pushed back into the water pump. Is my thinking wrong???

By the way I like your Corvette. I still have a 66 I purchased new (425HP, side Ex).

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #51
Winnie-Wise

What can I do other than accept what happened and see how it all works out? Getting upset at this point only affects me as I see it. I assume that the mechanics are doing the repairs correctly until proven otherwise. I am "saving" my anger in case it is needed later.

I think the fan must be pulling air away from the motor and thru the radiator. That is the only way it seems for the bearing to be pulled out of the housing, if that is what is happening.

I bought the Corvette in boxes in 1983. I finished putting it together in 1986.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #52
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Gilbert:
Wayne! Nice to see you keep your cool under these circumstances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Thanks for keeping us informed and keeping it upbeat.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:50 AM   #53
Winnie-Wise

The Workhorse rep just called. The original water pump failed when the bearing worked its way out of the housing. The replacement one failed when the shaft sheared off. He located all of the parts and they are being over nighted to Reno. All of the parts should be there by tomorrow, Friday June 27, and hopefully we will be back on the road by Tuesday. The failed parts have been shipped back to Workhorse so they can be evaluated for possible cause of the failure.

I am very pleased with the response and help provided by Workhorse.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #54
Winnebago Camper

Just guessing here but wouldn't the water pump be a GM item also. Comparing apples to oranges here, when I needed a turn signal switch I had a choice of a GM part# or Workhorse#
The parts were identical and both came in a GM box with the different #'s printed on them.

Lee

Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #55
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jo/Lee:
when I needed a turn signal switch I had a choice of a GM part# or Workhorse#
The parts were identical and both came in a GM box with the different #'s printed on them.

Lee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What was the price difference?
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:48 AM   #56
Winnebago Camper

I have 44,000 miles on my 03 WH with the 8.1L engine. No problems with it todate. Just taking delivery of a 08 Adventurer with the UFO Chassis. Don't know how many miles I have driven in GM powered rigs over more than 50 years of driving/repairing them but I do know waterpump bearing/shaft failures are not unique but not too common either. Hope my new rig behaves, I'm too old now now to pull a rad on the side of the road, and yes I have done that more than once over the years.
Beethovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:23 AM   #57
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just taking delivery of a 08 Adventurer with the UFO Chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Beethovin: Welcome to the forum.com We are glad you joined and look forward to your reports regarding your experiences with the UFO. The Adventurer Limited is a beautiful coach, Congrats!!! ED
Old 06-27-2008, 05:22 AM   #58
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beethovin:
Just taking delivery of a 08 Adventurer with the UFO Chassis.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Beethovin, You've got a great machine there! Lot's of luck have a great time and please stay in touch.

From what I have seen the Adventurer Limited is "the" coach that really gets my attention.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #59
Winnebago Camper

quote:Originally posted by Jo/Lee:
when I needed a turn signal switch I had a choice of a GM part# or Workhorse#

Lee
What was the price difference?

The price difference was quite a bit. My papers are in the coach and that's at the dealer again.
But if I recall correctly the Workhorse was $289.00 and the GM was over $400.00
This shocked me as I expected the GM to be more.
When I get the exact figures I'll post them.

Lee

Old 06-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #60
Winnebago Master

Beethovin;

Welcome to the forum and the Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum. Congratulations on your purchase of a 08 Adventure on the UFO Chassis. I believe you have acquired a great motor home. Post often and let us know of your travel adventures. If you would like some Winnebago Karma please ask.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote