Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Udate Over heating Cat 350 Engine

After returning from WV a couple of weeks ago and posting an overheating engine question, I read with hope the replys from members. It appeared the best thing to do was to wash the radiator so I washed the radiator with simple green and flushed. Everything looked a lot better. Engine temp was running around 190-192 where it had been from beginning. Went out for a short haul and noticed a slight rise in temp to 196. Unusual from what I expected. So this morning I decided to take it to Chesapeake Cat service here in VA. After reading the codes they indicated that the "code" section was maxed out. There had been no indications on the dash display. They indicated that the exhaust brake temp feed back into the turbo was way too high and had maxed out. This was most likely the reason for the max number of codes (250)! They also indicated the water pump belt was so loose that I was about to lose it and it was also worn. Therefore they suggested a new belt with adjusting the tension. One other point they indicated the exhaust was a “new” add on. The MH is a 2007 Journey 350 CAT. I explained to them that they (Carter CAT Chesapeake) are the only ones that have serviced the engine and the PAK brake came with the unit new. I asked about warranty. The answer was CAT does not warranty PM items such as the water pump belt. I asked about the problem with the exhaust brake. They indicated this was not a CAT issue and therefore Winnie would have to answer that question. Could it be a Freight Lines add on?? They did not know.

Well the cost for the water pump belt was guess – ta – mated to be…..are you ready for this and sitting down….$1200.00 for a day and a half of time. (If they do not run into problems…..)! No telling what they will really find with the exhaust brake but they suspect a closed or faulty valve.

I’m due (maybe) to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. We’ll see. I’ve got to keep smiling because if I frown every time something wet wrong with this MH, I would end up with permanent frown lines. I’m ugly enough as it is now. Don’t need anymore wrikles. Headed to the poor house tomorrow after I get the MH out of hock
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Update Over heating Cat 350 Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk_and_dog View Post
... Engine temp was running around 190-192 where it had been from beginning. Went out for a short haul and noticed a slight rise in temp to 196. Unusual from what I expected...Well the cost for the water pump belt was guess – ta – mated to be…..$1200.00 for a day and a half of time.
Why does it take a day and half to replace a belt! I have noticed that many manufactures build their coaches around the engine with no regard for maintenance. Something the MH industry shares with the boating industry. I'm guessing you have a rear radiator and they have to remove it, the transmission cooler, and AC coil. BTW, a belt that's not slipping won't contribute to over heating. If wore it should be replaced for that reason alone.

Why is 196 degrees a concern? Under load I see CAT engines routinely going to 204 degrees.

I use Alban CAT in Northern VA and so far they seem okay. I haven't brought them any big problems, so that could change but I hope not.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

$1,200 to replace the serpentine belt !! Did you misunderstand them? Were they estimating the total cost of all expected repairs?

I had all my belts replaced at the Freightliner Factory Service Center in Gaffney and the cost of the belt was very reasonable (maybe $40) and I think they charged 1/2 hr of labor. They did not have to remove the radiator to replace both of the belts.

I would ask again and get clarification.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Evidently it is not the serpentine belt. They indicated the water pump belt is separate.

jk
Old 08-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Evidently it is not the serpentine belt. They indicated the water pump belt is separate.

jk
jk, you need to find another place for service. I just had a new water pump belt, new serpentine belt and belt tensioner pulley replaced on my 2006 Journey/Cat and the total bill was only $507.00. I supplied the belts and they charged me $270.00 for the tensioner pulley. This was at Redlands Truck Service here in California. They recommended changing the tensioner pulley because I threw the serpentine belt with low mileage on a short vacation. All this work can be done without removing the radiator.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
RKL
Winnebago Owner

update overheating cat 350

i agree with smlranger...Also had all my belts changed at Freightliner Gaffney. All belts (2) were about $65 and labor was 1 hour for all belts.
The 2nd belt I believe is for the AC compressor....I'd sure follow up with the facility that gave you the $1200 quote and if it was only for the serp belt, I'd say goodby...Also, your running temp doesn't seem out of place to me....I run at or slightly below the "N" on normal on the water temp guage,,,,RKL
Old 08-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

jk-and-dog,
Does the word SCREWED come to mind.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

and tat tooooooooed!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
jk-and-dog,
Does the word SCREWED come to mind.
You know it's funny you would use that word because I felt the same way when I found out that I could buy the tensioner pulley for about $100.00 less than what I was charged for, but then I realized that they need to mark up the parts to pay for their overhead and parts pickup. Oh well Live and Learn.

Sammie
Old 08-28-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

JK,, get some more estimates. My email [email protected].
.let me know which shop you went to..As you probably know there are lots of CAT dealers in that area...ichn
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Ok,
Here's the final.
The water pump belt was so loose that you turn the water pump by hand. It appears the tensioner was bad. They had to go through the back removing a lot of stuff. Parts $13.16, Misc $42.39, environmental chg (??) (waste maybe) $13.19, Tax $3.44 and labor $665.00. Total $737.18..

Took the MH up to Lynchburg and I'm in Staunton this morning. Came up 29 / 6/151 and 250 up Afton Mt back way. Temp remained at 192 for the full trip with few seconds at 194. Everything looks ok. Better than the $1200 estimate and I'm happy with the MH again. Dog and I are doing good. Broke but doing good.

Thanks all
jk
Old 08-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Ok,
Here's the final.
The water pump belt was so loose that you turn the water pump by hand. It appears the tensioner was bad. They had to go through the back removing a lot of stuff. Parts $13.16, Misc $42.39, environmental chg (??) (waste maybe) $13.19, Tax $3.44 and labor $665.00. Total $737.18..

Took the MH up to Lynchburg and I'm in Staunton this morning. Came up 29 / 6/151 and 250 up Afton Mt back way. Temp remained at 192 for the full trip with few seconds at 194. Everything looks ok. Better than the $1200 estimate and I'm happy with the MH again. Dog and I are doing good. Broke but doing good.

Thanks all
jk

jk and Dog,

Sammie
Old 08-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Replacing the water pump belt generally requires removing the harmonic balancer. That being said, I had both belts replaced, valves adjusted and a leak where the oil filter/cooler attaches to the block repaired at the Cat dealer in Fenton (St. Louis). They also had a special on lube and oil change. Total bill was less than $1200. (I already had the belts)
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I am looking to change the same belts and was wounder if I can do
this on my owne. Was told by a machanic at work that the harmonic blancer
would neet to come of becouse the new belt would nof fit over the harmonic balancer. Has anyone tryed to do this them self?

Jeff
01 Journey 3126B 330 Cat
01 Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

There have been many threads on this forum regarding CAT engine overheating, radiator cleaning and belt replacements. Yes, both the serpentine and the water pump belt can be replaced using common hand tools and normal mechanical skills.

If you do not have the necessary skills, take it to a dealer and expect to pay in the neighborhood of $125 per hour labor rate. It's like the old oil filter commercial: Pay me now or pay me later!

Routine preventative maintenance will reduce if not prevent costly breakdowns on the road, where you are at the complete mercy of the nearest shop.

RedT in Glendale, AZ
'04 Meridian
'03 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake System
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote