Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Two things... birds and windshield cracked

Yesterday while gassing up for a trip to the IRCHA Jamboree, I discovered a small crack in the driver's side windshield at the top inside the dark shading. I'm going to take the motor home anyway, but if you all could tell me the going rate for a one side windshield replacement on a 2003 Adventurer 35U, I would know what not to spend at the event!

Second thing I found while gassing up... baby birds in the furnace exhaust. I know I should get them out, but we're really torn about it. How do you all get birds out of the furnace exhaust? (It had been stored for a month.) We're leaving tomorrow...

Scott
Old 07-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Torn about getting birds out? Get them out, find them a tree, and let nature go. Otherwise you drive, they get separated, and really won't live then.
Just might have to pull the furnace to get them out either way, and there will still be a nest if you let them grow up.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I am going to try to get them out tomorrow at the storage lot, then.

I found out I have free windshield replacement through my insurance provider, so that is a good thing.

Scott
Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

dunkonu23, interested in your trip to Muncie! Do you know Aaron Johnson, or Paul Johnston? They used to fly at our field, haven't seen them this year, really miss their flying. Our field is west and a little north of hell, come an visit us sometime!

White Oak Hilltop Fliers is the club, look us up!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I don't "know" Aaron, but I've talked to him several times at events--last year, I borrowed his charger for some batteries--he's a very nice guy. Last year, he was flying for Synergy. I thought I saw him at the Mid America Fun Fly this year, though. Mid America was cool--camping on one of the runways at Grosse Ile Airport! I'm sorry, Paul I don't know by name... I'd probably know him by sight.

In Muncie, we'll be camping at Site 3, electricity only. That's a lot better than running the moho generator during the day and my Honda EU2000i at night. Though, in Cincy this year, the little Honda ran over 13 hours straight on one tank powering the moho at night.

I'll PM you with updates if you'd like.

Scott
Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
aa1ssradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
Yesterday while gassing up for a trip to the IRCHA Jamboree, I discovered a small crack in the driver's side windshield at the top inside the dark shading. I'm going to take the motor home anyway, but if you all could tell me the going rate for a one side windshield replacement on a 2003 Adventurer 35U, I would know what not to spend at the event!

Second thing I found while gassing up... baby birds in the furnace exhaust. I know I should get them out, but we're really torn about it. How do you all get birds out of the furnace exhaust? (It had been stored for a month.) We're leaving tomorrow...

Scott
The cracked windshield might be part of that typical winnebago problem where the windshield frame starts to rust and causes the windshield to crack. Had that problem with ours. Total bill $2800 to weld in new metal and seal it then install 2 new windshields. Insurance paid $1000.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
The cracked windshield might be part of that typical winnebago problem where the windshield frame starts to rust and causes the windshield to crack. Had that problem with ours. Total bill $2800 to weld in new metal and seal it then install 2 new windshields. Insurance paid $1000.
The more I look at things the more I think you're likely right. Oh, well. Nothing I can do about it right now.

I did manage to get the nest out of the furnace intake. It was heart breaking for me, though. Eight little sparrows. I set them down in tall grass so hopefully their mom finds them.

All settled in at IRCHA. Waiting for Enterprise to pick me up.

Scott