Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The "clear coat" is coming off the front cap above the windshield and also off the edge cap above the patio awning.

And:

My "rear view" camera has suddenly lost it's picture. Only grey squiggly lines.

Anyone else having these problems?

One '04 Journey 34' w/350 CAT
Barney B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The "clear coat" is coming off the front cap above the windshield and also off the edge cap above the patio awning.

And:

My "rear view" camera has suddenly lost it's picture. Only grey squiggly lines.

Anyone else having these problems?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"clear coat" is coming off the front cap above the windshield and also off the edge cap above the patio awning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, not at all uncommon along both roof coves and top of front cap. Talking with Winnebago OR might help. They have repainted some with the problem.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">rear view" camera has suddenly lost it's picture. Only grey squiggly lines. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My rear view monitor has an "input" selection button that if pushed to the wrong position, will do that. Another possibility is that the contrast or brightness knobs have been operated to their max by little hands. (my grandkids "help" with with settings sometimes).
Old 09-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If none of that works, try powering down the entire coach - kill all the batteries for about 30 seconds - to "re-boot" all the electronics. I've done that before with success on both the camera and autonav.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My clearcoat was doing the same thing. I bought a small paint aerosol gun at a parts house and the clearcoat by Sherwin-Williams. I then took XXXX steel wool and sanded down the flakey parts to where the edges were almost invisible. I then shot it with clearcoat and it looks like new. That was just last week so time will tell if it's a good fix or not.

The sprayer is by Preval. www.prevalspraygun.com

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Barney - there have been several discussions of the Sony color cameras. Here's a link to one of the most recent.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Contact Winnebago on the clear coat problem. My 2004 Meridian was repainted last spring by the company there at Forest City who did it originally. All I had to do was get the coach to them. Seems back around 2003-05 or so, the company scrimped on the clear coating due to some kind of environmental problems and now its pealing off.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the response. I found a local guy to do the clearcoatfor $500.00, but I had to order a whole new rearview camera and monitor. Sony apparently no longer makes a camera that is compatable with the existing monitor. My extended warranty paid some of the cost but I'm stuck for close to a grand...Yipes.

Thanks again.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Barney~ I was told that a factory clear coat is applied soon after painting. So $500 may be too much. I had my caps and roof trim repainted once in '05, they again are showing signs of clear coat failure.

I'm likely to follow the clear coat procedure Chippy Sgt did.

Also, my camera went bad last year. Simple R&R just don't let the camera cable lead fall back inside the rear cap. So when you pull the cable out access hole have a piece of duct tape ready to tape the cable end on the coach as you prep the new camera mounting.

Good luck.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to tell you but there are 2 known problems with some 04 Journeys, the clear coat problem which Winnebago will address. They would have repainted ours at a local shop but we went to Forest City to have CDI do it. The bad camera was our problem and we replaced it with another for $225. If you do a search on here you will see others have had the same problems. Good Luck
Old 10-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I had the Sony camera die. I got a new one from Lichtsinn Motors. Did not have to replace monitor.

2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Bigdog05 is offline   Reply With Quote