Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Two Blowouts at once

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3043.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	102777

How would you like for this to happen while cruising down the interstate at about 65 mph

Happened to me while heading home from vacation last Saturday. Both left rear tires blew at once. A little scary trying to thread my way across traffic to the side of the interstate, right at an on ramp

Made it across the interstate, but sure was intense sitting there waiting for a collision while people were trying to merge into the traffic.

Name:	IMG_3034.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	102775

Four hours latter we were back on the road headed home

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yikes, glad you made it safely to the shoulder. Just curious about cause of blow out. Was it tire age, overloading or low tire pressure? Was it something you ran over on highway?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

From the picture it looks like the one at the top of the picture blew out, the bottom one looks like the wheel rim cut the sidewall, probably when the first one went.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Name:	IMG_3041.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	499.8 KB
ID:	102779

This was the outside tire which just disintegrated. I don't know if it caused the inside tire to blow or not. Tire pressures were all OK. Tires were several years old, I'm not sure how old. I had them checked by a tire dealer before we left on vacation and even thought they had weather cracks, he said they were OK. I don't think I hit anything, or at least I didn't see anything.

I have had blowouts before but this one was the worst

Needless to say, I'm going to replace the rest of the tires

Ron
Old 08-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

When one tire blows the load on the 2nd doubles if you are running the recommended by the RV builder pressure that might be too low and would result in a near instant 2nd blow out.

You need to scale the RV (4 corner weight) and inflate per chart

page 2

You also need to pick up a copy of the CDL license manual and read the part about laying out safety triangles or Flares.. You did a much better job than many I've seen (Epically the idiot who dang near killed me with his flairs) but it could have been better.. one chapter in the manual explains how to lay them.. Alas I do not have an on-line link to it (I have a paper link, but that's in my triangle case).
Old 08-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Been there, done that!

About 20 months ago in Mesa, AZ coming from Quartzite and heading to Tucson. Was in the left or middle lane of freeway... Boom!!. Before I got to right lane... Boom!!. Two 6+ years old GYs. Did not see or hear anything before the booms. My 4th and 5th GY event in 12 years.

A couple hundreds from an off ramp, and emergency lane had the concrete barrier. My rig was towed in on a flat bed. Fun time loading it. Ins. co paid the tow bill. Then I had all four rears replaced with Samson tires and had to wait overnight. We now have ~6K miles on them. Rides like a champ!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We got our first MH a bit over a year ago and since it had only 8000 miles in 8 years, the tires looked new. Newbie uss's made trips to Birmingham and then to Asheville before I started listening to this forum.

.....learned pretty quick that I had been playing with fire with tire ages. Changed all six, added TPMS, and slept at night again.

Can't imagine how stressful a blowout would be on a coach.....don't want to know.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ron, thanks for the follow on note. I did not know if your tires had aged out or there was another cause. I'm inclined to think age was the issue here.

Had a left rear blow out several years ago on a Class B with the high top fiberglass roof. Not fun getting it over to the shoulder, and my tires had aged out. I replaced them all and continued to camp.

When I bought our current coach in Oct. 2012 I had all the 5 year old Michelin's replaced with new tires. I feel a lot better knowing these are about three years old.

Safe travels,
Tom
Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
When one tire blows the load on the 2nd doubles if you are running the recommended by the RV builder pressure that might be too low and would result in a near instant 2nd blow out.

You need to scale the RV (4 corner weight) and inflate per chart

page 2

You also need to pick up a copy of the CDL license manual and read the part about laying out safety triangles or Flares.. You did a much better job than many I've seen (Epically the idiot who dang near killed me with his flairs) but it could have been better.. one chapter in the manual explains how to lay them.. Alas I do not have an on-line link to it (I have a paper link, but that's in my triangle case).
According to the RMA=Rubber Manufacturers Association, Michelink, Goodyear, Firestone, and all tire mfgrs. who are members of the RMA, that is not totally true.
Read chapter 4, page 51 of this pdf from the RMA.
Which in part, states:
"_
However, never use inflation pressure lower than
specified by the vehicle tire placard, certification
label or owner’s manual.
The mfgrs. tire placard normally states the pressure necessary to safely carry the vehicle at it's maximum GVWR.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

How much damage did it do to your coach? I had a Diesel Pusher pass me yesterday running about 75 mph. five miles down the road he was on the side of the road having blown his driver's side front tire. The blow out blew the compartment door immediately behind the driver's side tire completely off and scared the compartment door behind the missing one.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTom View Post
How much damage did it do to your coach? I had a Diesel Pusher pass me yesterday running about 75 mph. five miles down the road he was on the side of the road having blown his driver's side front tire. The blow out blew the compartment door immediately behind the driver's side tire completely off and scared the compartment door behind the missing one.

I guess I was lucky, it curled the mud flap up into a U shape, scratched the bottom edge of the siding all the way to the generator door.

I had a left front tire blowout on a 93 Brave and it blew the sidewall away from the floor, ripped the map rack and CB radio right out of their screws that were holding them to the wall

About $500.00 worth of damage, I guess I was lucky again.

Believe it or not, that front tire blowout was easier to control with the steering than with this last blowout. Of course I wasn't going as fast with the front tire blowout, maybe 55 mph.

Ron
Old 08-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Here is Florida the rule is to dump the tires once they are 5 years old. Hopefully Attourney Newsome will succede shortly in getting the sale of tires over 5 years of age made a illegal. This would include making it unlawfull to sell a vehicle with tires over 5 years old on them and hold tire shops accountable if they even inflated, patched or serviced in any manner a tire over 5 years of age.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Here is Florida the rule is to dump the tires once they are 5 years old. Hopefully Attourney Newsome will succede shortly in getting the sale of tires over 5 years of age made a illegal. This would include making it unlawfull to sell a vehicle with tires over 5 years old on them and hold tire shops accountable if they even inflated, patched or serviced in any manner a tire over 5 years of age.
So when you have an old RV sitting for a few years and you go to sell it, You say: "I'll sell it to you, but you can't have the tires. You'll have to drive it away on the rims." Florida, I love ya!

See this thread is making me glad I ordered all 6 new tires.
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, and all the rattle trap junk cars on the road with parts falling off will be riding on good tires. Florida has no safety inspections or requirements for functioning brakes, lights, etc.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Who made that rule? Could you post the link for that Florida rule.
I live in FL. and must of missed that rule/law.
And also the link for the fines/ticket cost or jail time for not following the rule.

I didn't know that my 10 year old tires on my MH could cost me a fine of some kind.

Changing tires every 5 years on a MH would run the cost of owning one $600-$800 a year.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote