Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I pull into the CG with my gen set running. Get all setup connect to shore power and then kill the gen set. Never had a problem.
The default is always the gen set if it's runnung. The transfer switch should be able to handle the load. If it can't it's under sized.
billbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Case Study A friend of ours had a Winnebago Vectra and a bad experience when the transfer switch failed and burned out the control unit. I agree, be safe and only activate a single power source. Also, run your motor when using your slides as the control unit is very sensative to proper voltage.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rob View Post
Case Study A friend of ours had a Winnebago Vectra and a bad experience when the transfer switch failed and burned out the control unit. I agree, be safe and only activate a single power source. Also, run your motor when using your slides as the control unit is very sensative to proper voltage.
I'll be reminding myself of the possible negative results of switching between hot power sources -- shutting down and/or unplugging only takes a few minutes. Thanks Bob - from another tarheel, Hickory area, many moons ago!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #24

Take it from me

One day when we were hooked up to 30 amp. service and I was using an electric skillet it got very warm in the coach so I decided to turn on the generator and turn on the air conditioner.....BAD IDEA! I knew right away something was wrong when I looked at the amp display and it registered over 80 amps. I turned of the generator right away and everything seemed to go back to normal. However, when we were trying to use the surround sounda while later, which goes through the DVD player we could not get it to work. I took the player to a service shop and when they opened it he said, "wow, you must have had a power surge because everything is melted inside". Ever since then we NEVER turn on the generator before we unplug.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Though there is not a problem with the transfer switch MAKING a circuit, if you BREAK a circuit UNDER LOAD there is one "Heck" of an inductive kick, this can cause a voltage spike that it truly amazing and this can weld the solenoids in the transfer switch causing them to malfunction.

Thus, recommendation is to SHUT OFF Air conditioners water heaters, space heaters and other big power suckers, THEN shut off the generator causing transfer to shore power while under minimum load, THEN plug in and re-start the stuff you turned off.

Option 2: Turn off MAIN circuit breaker,, Then generator, Then plug in, REstore breaker

It is WAY cheaper than a transfer switch, easier to replace too.

Regarding the DELAY on the air conditioner compressor.. Some do indeed have a safety delay.. I would not count on it till I'd read the fine manual and THEN confirmed it.. Which by the way, I did. on mine, and in that order.
This is the answer to this question. When you ask this relay to change power sources (gen vs. shore power) when under load (AC running) you are just asking for trouble due to the huge loads imposed on this relay's contact points. You may get away with it a few times, but rest assured this is a very short candle. You will get to the bottom of it quickly, leaving you with big issues.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

My routine when pulling in and the generator is running is to do my setup (jacks down, slides out, etc., etc. and then I will kill the generator which in effect kills the air conditioning that is running. I then plug into the shore power and the SurgeGuard does its check and delay in allowing power to the coach for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds. This allows the compressors in the basement air to reduce pressure so the restart will not harm them. When getting ready to go, I will disconnect the shore power before starting the generator. This turns the air off and I wait for about 5 minutes before I start the generator to take over the air conditioning -- the coach does not heat up that much with this delay and it allows the air conditioning compressors to get ready to start and it does not put pressure on the transfer switch contact switches. I have heard that making the transfer switch work with shore power on and then the generator started will make the contact points eventually weld together and then you have to replace the transfer switch.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
YC1
Winnebago Owner

AFChap has it dead right in my opinion. Plug into shoreline, turn air conditioners off to remove load from generator, run generator 2-4 minutes as suggested in the generator manual so it will cool, same thing with main engine, let it idle a couple of minutes to remove excess heat. Once generator is off and the shoreline power is established then turn the Air Conditioners back on. Wax mentioned the huge surge when air conditioners turn on. That huge sure going through a transfer switch is not good. Yes there are transfer switches to take that kind of abuse but ours are not.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
AFChap has it dead right in my opinion. Plug into shoreline, turn air conditioners off to remove load from generator, run generator 2-4 minutes as suggested in the generator manual so it will cool, same thing with main engine, let it idle a couple of minutes to remove excess heat. Once generator is off and the shoreline power is established then turn the Air Conditioners back on. Wax mentioned the huge surge when air conditioners turn on. That huge sure going through a transfer switch is not good. Yes there are transfer switches to take that kind of abuse but ours are not.
Well, you know what they say about opinions...Me, I'll just continue to play it safe and not connect one without shutting the other off first. That way, I can be sure that when I turn the AC or other appliances on, they will work and I won't have to explain to some repairman how I went through some huge electrical spike...!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

I do pretty much the same: turn off AC then generator then connect shore power then turn AC back on. I do, if it is really hot, leave the diesel running on fast idle with dash AC on full. If it's that hot most everyone will be inside enjoying AC and a few hopefully would notice the diesel running a few more minutes.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote