Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

You cannot trust the dealers to be honest about their dealings with Winnebago. I have heard too many times a dealer say Winniehasn't shipped the parts etc. You call Winnie and there isn't even a request for the parts.

Last year, out of warranty, we had problems with our gray water tank. It had shifted and water was running onto the ground. Since we were out of warranty we schedule an independent to do the work. I took pictures of the repair since we found that Winnie didn't put in all the supports for the tank. On a lark I sent the $500 bill to Winnie with an explanation, 2 months later they paid the bill after verifying with the repair shop.

If you go independent just make sure you have one bill for the Winnie warranty items and 1 bill for items that are your responsibility.

It is not winnie that is the problem, it is the dealers.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Good advice.
ExBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Agreed, it sounds like the REV Group has spotted a glaring hole in the RV warranty repair business. I would hope that other like minded entrepreneurs would provide REV some competition and help reshape the broken RV industry. RV manufacturers should not be turning out coaches with defects and expecting their dealer network to fix their poor workmanship and not paying them adequately. That is a business model destined to fail, when you run out of savvy customers who are not willing to put up with that anymore!
As more quality RV repair businesses enter the game, both manufactures and dealers will have to mend their ways in order to continue to compete. That is what is great about our free enterprise system. I just hope to live long enough to see it happen.
ExBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Poor quality is not limited to just one manufacturer but is across the board. It is pure luck as to whether you get a good one or a bad one. The RV industry is pretty much in the same place the auto industry was in the 60's and 70's. I remember a time when car dealerships would give preference to customers that bought their car there over those that didn't. The manufacturers also had very poor quality that they pushed off onto the dealers and car owners to resolve. It wasn't until the Japanese came in with better quality cars and customer service standards for their dealers that things started to improve because it became a change or go out of business proposition that American executives could understand. Until something like that occurs in the RV industry I don't think there will be any major improvement in quality.

Some things that could help is if we as RV owners stop fixing warranty things because it is easier than dealing with the dealer. This hides the true cost of poor quality from the executives who are the only ones with the power to change production rules. Another would be for the manufacturers to go back to hourly rates instead of piece work that encourages the workers to go fast so they can go home early. Lastly would be for the manufacturers to move away from the independent dealer model to one based on franchises. This would allow them more control on how things are run locally to ensure all interactions reflect well on the brand. Of course this is all pie in the sky until something forces the change.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #25

Exbuckeye, it takes a fairly practiced eye to see quality differences and then to say he/she will buy the RV that cost $6,000 more. Newbies have stars in their eyes. The "quality" builder will have a tuff time with them...but not you or me.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Depending on the problem, I would try the dealer (that I bought from) first. If that doesn't work, I go to Forest City. When far from the area (MN/IA), would try anyone who would look at it if it can't wait. We had a fridge die (Non Winnebago) enroute to the Hershey RV show in 2016 and got lucky and found an independent shop that replaced it with 1 visit. It took a lot of looking to find them.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago