Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2005, 05:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just back from up-state NY, Temp ran from low 80 to mid 40 at night. The A/C would only pick up the second compressor, say 1 out of 10 or 15
cycles. I was thinking STARTER CAPACITOR!!
Then at night in heat pump mode it would pick up the number 2 compressor ever time. This was via the amp. draw. So now I an thinking
CONTROL. Oh 30sec. after the units starts up I hear a second relay click while standing at the
Energy Management System. I am pulling the Temp.
control board as we speak, to look for broken lands on said board. Any suggestions will be apperciated. COOPCOLT
Old 08-01-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just back from up-state NY, Temp ran from low 80 to mid 40 at night. The A/C would only pick up the second compressor, say 1 out of 10 or 15
cycles. I was thinking STARTER CAPACITOR!!
Then at night in heat pump mode it would pick up the number 2 compressor ever time. This was via the amp. draw. So now I an thinking
CONTROL. Oh 30sec. after the units starts up I hear a second relay click while standing at the
Energy Management System. I am pulling the Temp.
control board as we speak, to look for broken lands on said board. Any suggestions will be apperciated. COOPCOLT
Old 08-01-2005, 06:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

As I recall, the second compressor only kicks in when the temperature in the coach is more than 5 degrees off the thermostat set point.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The book said 4, but I am 10 or 12 degrees,
anyway could not find anything with board, but did solder a couple of the wires where they come into or out of board. Does anyone have a clue as to the output that turns on the #1 or#2 compressor?? MY liture from the BIG BLACK BAG was no help as it only showes ONE compressor!
What is the name of the company that sell the electronic boards for most of the RV electrical controls?
I called RVProducts talked too a puter, went to www. did not list my 02 basement air!!!Help
Its going to be hot at the Bristol International raceway in AUG. coopcolt
Old 08-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Appears as the problem is the center sw. and a P-POOR desigh at that!!
They are two sw. that are ganged together, could not find replacement,
tryed to clean them on the board witkh emery cloth and alchol with liberal
supply of syn. grease. Unit was still intermitting about 20% of the time.

A new inproved unit from RVProduct, $107. + shipping. Now on to the next RV
project, WINEGARD auto satellite. What a piece of ship that is, the first one
was replaced under warranty. Maybe they will replace theis one too?? coopcolt
Old 08-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Tenn Vol:
I vote for the control unit at the OnePlace. Had similar problem and that was it. Also, make SURE the sw is firmly placed in "Cool" position. Mine had two (instead of one) detents (maybe 1 1/2) & the slide sw wasn't quite making it all the way to "Cool".

RV Products sent me a new temp controller, even tho I was out of warranty.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thudman,
Interesting, as I was told recently that my AC problems were in the "One Place", and the entire panel needed to be replaced, not covered under my CSP extended warranty, quoted $450 to replace..I am on hold at the moment.
Also interesting that my slide sw is so "mobile"
it is a guessing game if it is on cool or not!!
Old 08-02-2005, 05:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RMM:
Thudman,
Interesting, as I was told recently that my AC problems were in the "One Place", and the entire panel needed to be replaced, not covered under my CSP extended warranty, quoted $450 to replace..I am on hold at the moment.
Also interesting that my slide sw is so "mobile"
it is a guessing game if it is on cool or not!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy, that sounds of whoey to me. Why in the world would the entire one place panel require replacement?

Call RVP/Coleman, and ask for technical help. I believe (with great certainty) you may just need a new thermostat, and they are pretty understanding. If you ask nice, they may even just send you one free!

Insist that the dealer replace the thermostat alone first. Better yet, go to a different dealer. If what you are saying was really said to you, I'd be very concerned. It appears that the individual(s) working on your unit are not skilled in trouble shooting.

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quick Question!
I'm having some problem with my basement air cycling on and off before reaching the set temperature but I could never reach RVP. I tried their toll free number 1-877-430-8084 but all that gives is dealers in whichever state you pick. How do you get ahold of anyone in tech services? Is there another number other than the one on the front of their "Vehicle Owner Manual"?
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #10

....it does have to cycle to dehudmidify or the coil will freeze up and then NO cooling at all....A/C is a combination of heat reduction/removal and moisture in air.....try running a box fan in unite to help with cool down.....geofkaye
Old 08-03-2005, 08:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Arrived home on Monday after a three week trip. First stop was the GNR at Forest City. Very hot. As for our problem with the second compresser. Turns out it was the thermostat. Since it was changed, the second compresser kicks in every time. The airconditioning works like a dream. Really needed it on our most recent trip.
Nick and Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Wagonmaster: Keep trying that number. I've called a few times & got the same recording. I think they put on the recording when the Tech's are max'ed out. Eventually you can access the voice system to get a Tech. Try early/late in the day.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Thanks Thudman, I'll be more insistant.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

RVProducts telly# 316-832-3400, it worked for me! coopcolt