Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

True Air thermostat

Hi guys. Just bought a replacement thermostat for my 2002 Journey. Original thermostat model number was 6535-335, what they sent was 6535-344. The wire colors on the 9 pin don't match. There was another 3 pin on the original, what they sent has a 4 pin and the wire colors don't match as well. Has anyone else run into this? Thanks in advance. -Larry
lwestbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The wiring did change. There is a pig tail adapter that must be used. Whoever sold you the thermostat should have told you. Lichtsinn ( might not have spelled that correctly) Motors can send you one quickly. Once you have the adapter it is an easy install.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago & Itasca New - Used Motorhomes for Sale, Iowa RV Dealer - Lichtsinn Motors
Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had to replace our thermostat last year while in Fl. I called RVP to help me troubleshoot the problem. The Tech helped me find the problem- bad thermostat- and told me to call back if I had any more problems. I called three different dealers to order a new thermostat but none could get it for at least a week. We couldn't wait that long. We have pets and the tempratures were around 85 degrees. I called RVP back and they overnighted one to me at the campground. When it got there the next day I had the same problem- too many wires. I called RVP back and the Tech took me through the new hook-up step by step. He stayed with me, on the phone ,untill I had the AC working properly. Give them a call, I'm shure they can help you.
Good Luck, Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys. Bought it online from Makarios RV. It looks like the 6535-344 is direct replacement for the 6535-335. They made no mention and did not include an adapter for this. I could probably cut the wires and wire nut it color to color, but I think that I'd feel better with the wiring harness. I'll try to hunt this adapter down. If anyone has a part number for this bad boy, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again. -Larry
Old 02-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE: Anyone upgrading from a True Air 6535-335 to a True Air 6535-334 only needs to make a minor adjusment. 9-pin plugs in with no adjustments. They tell you to cut the wires and splice on the 4-pin and cap off the orange wire. I took a pair of side cutters and cut off the insert that held the orange wire as well as the retaining clip on the same side. Then I connected the two sides of the harness (held by the retaining clip that I didn't cut off) and secured with electrical tape. Ran the thermostat through all of the modes (cool, gas heat, heat pump) and all works well. Hope this helps anyone going through this, Thanks to all for the help. - Larry
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Resurect an old thread I kept as a favorite. In 4/2011 I bought a new 6535-344 thinking I had a bad thermostat. Turned out to be something else (I wish I remembered what it was two years later!) so I never installed it. Fast forward two years and my a/c won't shut off unless I trip the breaker. So I think I will throw the new one in to see if that was the problem. Go to install it and one of the connectors has 4 pins instead of 3. I remember there is a thermostat thread somewhere. Look through my favorites (under my subfolder TIPS under my favorites folder RV) and there it was. How to work around that 3 vs 4 pin issue. I did exactly what the OP ended up doing and now it works---exactly as it did before. Thanks elwestbro, if you are still out there, for the tip.

So I will save my old stat as a spare and go looking elsewhere for the problem.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote