Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I need some information concerning the operation of the air conditioning side of the True Air.
To get my air conditioning to operate I have to do something that I do not think is normal but may be. The only way that I can get the air conditioning to come on is to put the set point above the current ambient temperature. Next, turn on the A/C. Then move the set point to any temp below the current ambient temp. In about 15 sec I can hear the thermostat click and the A/C begins to operate. Once I have it on it functions normally. The A/C works great and cools the coach to arctic temps. If I try any combination of moves to turn on the A/C it just stares back at me. Is all of this normal or is there something not right?
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I need some information concerning the operation of the air conditioning side of the True Air.
To get my air conditioning to operate I have to do something that I do not think is normal but may be. The only way that I can get the air conditioning to come on is to put the set point above the current ambient temperature. Next, turn on the A/C. Then move the set point to any temp below the current ambient temp. In about 15 sec I can hear the thermostat click and the A/C begins to operate. Once I have it on it functions normally. The A/C works great and cools the coach to arctic temps. If I try any combination of moves to turn on the A/C it just stares back at me. Is all of this normal or is there something not right?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

it should be just like your house. click it on air, click temp below room temp. is this a new to you coach? if not how did it work before. Don 06 journey 36
Old 01-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Charles:

That doesn't sound right and certainly not how my system works. I do know that mine was goofy until I replaced the Tru Air thermostat which cured it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Does this just happen the first time you switch it on, say, after setting up in a CG? I have noticed that it took 2 minutes or so, whcn first setting up in a CG. Of course, after that, the switch usually doesn't get moved (except for the thermostat, which my wife is always messin with bc "it's too cold".

The other day, at home, I turned the t-stat for the "garage/upstairs movie room" from "off" to "heat"; (this is a standard residential oil burner/hot air furnace), and it too, took several minutes before it kicked on. I even double checked the t-stat setting twice to make sure that it was set quite a bit above ambient (it was; ambient was 50 and stat was set at 65).

I'm not HVAC expert, so I can't tell you why. But I've seen this happen, but ONLY the first time I turn the t-stat switch to "heat" or "cool".

In both instances, these are digital type t-stats, and not the old bi-metal/mercury bulb stats.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

along the lines of strange thermostat quirks. Frequently mine will default to 72 degrees on A/C no matter what I actually set it to. This causes the D/W shut it off, as it gets way too cold. I have replaced the thermostat once already ,(not for this reason). It doesn't always do this, so its one of those mysteries.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:13 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like the temp control panel is the culprit. RVP, Wichita, 316-832-4357, www.rvcomfort.com

Easy to change out. I'm on my third one.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all who responded and confirmed my suspisions. I plan on contacting Winnebago and Coleman for more information and move on from there.
For Capt. Bill, this happens any time I switch from off to on. Once I get it underway it works as it is supposed to.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Navy Flier:
Thanks to all who responded and confirmed my suspisions. I plan on contacting Winnebago and Coleman for more information and move on from there.
For Capt. Bill, this happens any time I switch from off to on. Once I get it underway it works as it is supposed to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you switch from off to on there should be a two minute delay on the AC side to prevent damage to the compressors. You may be circumventing the delay and tricking the system by what you are doing. Just set it and wait two or three minutes for the delay to be satisfied. If it does not come on after that then indeed start calling. These have worked this was since 1995 that I know of.