Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have developed a serious air conditioning problem. Last night the air conditioner tripped a circuit breaker. When we cooled everything down and then turned it back on, the compressors would kick in but would shut off rather quickly. My husband noticed that the blower, which usually moves weeds and grass on the ground beside it, did not seem to be blowing. The fan inside kept running. Any ideas?
Jean & Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have developed a serious air conditioning problem. Last night the air conditioner tripped a circuit breaker. When we cooled everything down and then turned it back on, the compressors would kick in but would shut off rather quickly. My husband noticed that the blower, which usually moves weeds and grass on the ground beside it, did not seem to be blowing. The fan inside kept running. Any ideas?
Old 05-23-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The compressors and blower fan are two seperate circuits. They are both 120 volt circuits but they are controlled through the thermostat by low voltage relays. They are also fed through the EMS (Energy Management System) by it's relays. It's possible that a 12 volt breaker that's under the steps may have tripped. That's the easiest and first thing to check. Secondly, if the EMS fails your AC will also be cut out.

However, if the interior blower works and just the outside fan behind the condensor coil isn't working you may just have a bad condensor fan unit. I'd check the easy things first and if they don't work I'd take it to the dealer.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Well, we checked all those obvious things. Our best guess is that it is a capacitor on the outside blower motor. Nevertheless, both Winnebago dealers who are close to us don't work on basement air. The places recommended are RV repair places that are hard to get to. It's now at one of those shops, with the air unit taken apart and the mechanics trying to diagnose the problem. It's been four days...It seems to me that Winnebago dealers should be authorized to deal with basement air if that's what most of the units are equipped with. We have enjoyed our Suncruiser but are certainly disappointed with Winnebago's one-year warranty and its unwillingness to make it easier for folks to get work done.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jean & Leroy:
We have enjoyed our Suncruiser but are certainly disappointed with Winnebago's one-year warranty and its unwillingness to make it easier for folks to get work done. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually you have a two year warranty on the basement air unit.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:08 AM   #6
rg
Winnebago Camper

In our 2000 Adventure we had a simular problem. We took the access cover off the unit and found a small fuse that had blown on the control board. Replaced it and every thing worked great. This fuse was like 5 amps and is accessed from the outside cover. We had to drop the body vent panel then there is a small panel that had four screws in it.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:44 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>... Nevertheless, both Winnebago dealers who are close to us don't work on basement air.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You gotta be kidding. I'm sure that being part of Winnebago's dealer network means you have to repair what's broke. I'd call Winnebago on that one. My dealer repaired mine and it wasn't a major deal to pull it out, repair it, and reinstall it. Maybe they just don't want to spend any money on tools.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had a problem with the outside fan not running on my 04 Adv. After checking out all the postings I could find everything pointed to bad compressor. I could not believe that this was the case. I took the unit out of the RV, opened it up and much to my surprise found that the bearings on the fan shaft have little caps that allow you to put oil into the bearing. A few drops of 3-in-1 and I was running my a/c again. Cost for dealer to diagnose and repair my "compressor" problem $800. Cost to really cure the problem $2.49. I don't trust any service technicians anymore.