Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Trik-L-Start questions

Hello all. Today I ran the generator in my motorhome and the chassis batteries seemed to charge. This led me to believe the motorhome must have a Trik-L-Start installed in it. So I opened up the generator compartment(thanks to all that showed me how to do that) and took the panel off the circuit breaker box. Low and behold, there was the Trik-L-Start mounted on the firewall. I was pleased to see it. Now for the questions:

1) Before I started the generator, electrical panel inside the motorhome read Engine batteries were 12.2. So I started the generator and it went up to about 12.6. I am assuming the Trik-L-Start is what caused this. After running the generator for about an hour, I shut it down and checked the volts again. This time it read Engine Batteries were 11.6. I had a volt meter with me so I checked it right at the batteries...same reading. So my question is if the Trik-L-Start charges when there is shore power or generator power, why did the volts in the batteries go down?

2) I looked on the front of the Trik-L-Start and saw the 3 little lights: rev. polarity, charging and maintaining. After I shut down the generator I looked at the Trik-L-Start and noticed the "charging" light was still lit up. Why would this be? I thought it only charged the engine batteries from the coach batteries when there was shore power or generator power. I had neither at this point.
I've included a picture for referrence. It's a little dark but if you look closely you can see the centre yellow "charging" light is on.

Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It doesn't matter whether the coach batteries are being charged or not, nor whether they are charged by solar, generator or shore power. The Trik-L-Start works by monitoring the chassis battery(s) and when it finds them fully charged, it skims a little off the top and sends it to the engine battery, then waits until the coach battery(s) are fully charged again. If the coach battery(s) are not fully charged, it just sits there monitoring them until they are. Then it begins all over again. Best device I have ever purchased! When stored, I leave a battery maintainer hooked up to my coach batteries. The Tril-L-Start device keeps my engine battery fully charged. Anytime I'm ready to go, so is the coach. I do check the water in the batteries each month and run the generator under load for half an hour. Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Something isn't right. You might have an issue with your chassis (engine) batteries or charger. Fully charged should be around 12.7V. If you are seeing less than 12v after 1 hour of charging, you need to do some more checking. In no case should you see less than what you started with.

You should see around 13.4 on the house batteries and 13.2 on the chassis batteries when the generator is running. I believe that your Winnie has the ability to read both battery banks at the monitor panel. What is the voltage on each when the generator is running? What is the voltage on each about 5 minutes after you shut it down. Try to have minimum loads while doing these checks. I would recommend that you cover or disconnect the solar panel also while checking things out.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

While running the generator the coach batteries went to 13.6. 5 mins or so after shutting the generator off, the coach batteries were 13.2. The engine batteries were around 12.6 with the generator running but afterward they went down to 11.6. They seemed to really bounce around in voltage. So I started the generator again and they immediately went to 12.2. The solar panel I have is extremely small. I'm not sure whether it charges the coach or engine batteries. When I shut the generator off the second time, the coach batteries read 11.6.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
It doesn't matter whether the coach batteries are being charged or not, nor whether they are charged by solar, generator or shore power. The Trik-L-Start works by monitoring the chassis battery(s) and when it finds them fully charged, it skims a little off the top and sends it to the engine battery, then waits until the coach battery(s) are fully charged again. If the coach battery(s) are not fully charged, it just sits there monitoring them until they are. Then it begins all over again. Best device I have ever purchased! When stored, I leave a battery maintainer hooked up to my coach batteries. The Tril-L-Start device keeps my engine battery fully charged. Anytime I'm ready to go, so is the coach. I do check the water in the batteries each month and run the generator under load for half an hour. Hope this helps.

Chillbilly,
Your description of the operation of the Trik-L-Start to me, was a bit confusing. You mention three different batteries, the chassis, coach and engine. Well, to the best of my knowledge, the "Chassis" batteries are the engine batteries. And, the "coach" batteries are also known as the "House" batteries". Now, with that being said, if one looks up the Trik-L-Start and it's description of operation, what it says is this:

The Trik-L-Start device monitors battery voltage in the house batteries and compares it to the chassis battery. When the Trik-L-Start senses the chassis battery voltage is approximately ½ volt lower than the house battery, it allows up to 5 amps current flow to the chassis battery. The circuitry within the Trik-L-Start prevents back feeding of electricity from the chassis to coach battery so if 110V power is interrupted, the chassis battery will not be discharged.

Now, I certainly don't mean to be argumentative but, as I interpret the above, all the Trik-L-Start does is "COMPARE" voltage between the house and chassis batteries. And, as in the description, if there's a 1/2 volt difference between the two sets, it will allow, as much as 5 amps to be put into the chassis batteries. Now, also, as I understand it can only charge the chassis batteries, if and when, the house batteries are being charged. It cannot charge the chassis batteries if, the house ones are not being charged due to the fact that, that's where it gets its ability to charge the chassis batteries from, is the charging system of the house batteries.

So, with all that being said, as long as the wiring of Duecenuts Trik-L-Start is correct which, we assume it is. Then, as soon as he starts his generator, the Trik-L-Start looks at both sets of batteries and like its description says, if there's a 1/2 volt difference, it will put some into the chassis batteries. Now, as to why that much of a voltage drop when the gen is shut down, not sure. There could be a small load on them that the OP is not aware of. There could be one of the cells in the Chassis batteries that is shorted out and causing low readings.

If I were the OP here, I might start out with a thorough check of those chassis batteries, a cleaning of the posts/cables/ends, etc. and maybe do a hydrometer check to see if there's a possible problem with any one particular cell. Then, I'd try and make sure that there's no load on them when there isn't supposed to be. Like, a small light, something like that. How old are the chassis batteries? With voltage in the high to mid 11s, is the rig starting OK? What does the alternator put out to them when the engine is running?

Again, not trying to be contradictory here, just trying to help the OP with their problem(s).
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Deucenut, Your recent posting still makes me suspect someting is wrong with your chassis (engine) batteries. Start your engine and report back here with the voltage readings on both banks with the engine at fast idle.

If you see 13.2 on the coach (house) batteries, the inverter/charger is doing its job, so we need to look elsewhere.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ok thanks for the help guys. I'm going to be starting and taking the coach in to have the ac repaired on Friday. So we will see then what it reads. It had always started quite well.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Deucenut, I just noticed your signature. Boy does that bring back memories. My friend across the street when I was in high school had a full fender 32 2door sedan. It was chopped 4 inches and had a Olds engine, 39 Ford tranny. Your basic hotrod in the day.

Don't want to hijack the thread, so back to the topic at hand.

You don't need to drive it to get the numbers with the engine running. Just start and unplug.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Deucenut, I just noticed your signature. Boy does that bring back memories. My friend across the street when I was in high school had a full fender 32 2door sedan. It was chopped 4 inches and had a Olds engine, 39 Ford tranny. Your basic hotrod in the day.

Don't want to hijack the thread, so back to the topic at hand.

You don't need to drive it to get the numbers with the engine running. Just start and unplug.
32 fords are my favourite car. If it were up to me, I'd have one of every model. Unfortunately my wife doesn't agree with me. Lol.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I asked at Lichtsinn about getting a Trik-L-Start. They stated. The Trik-L-Start is no longer sold by Winnebago, but they have a substitute for it, part number is 174291-01-000. Does anyone know anything about its replacement? Assume you can get the Trik-L-Start elsewhere.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Got mine on internet from trik l start.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
YC1
Winnebago Owner

The trik-l-start is not there to do the main battery charging. It is there as a maintainer so you don't run the engine batteries down when left sitting for weeks. Not seeing 13.5 or more on the engine batteries with the generator running is disturbing. I know some rv's won't actually turn a solenoid on until whatever bank gets charged enough but that is a poor design in my opinion and I don't think this is your case. I suspect you have a problem with your system.

The trik-l-start was trying to charge most likely but it has a very limited supply and one hour is not enough. Why the voltage went even lower is speculation on my part and may have been due to lights or other items you had on at the time and the Trik just could not keep up.

Someone here should know exactly how yours is supposed to work so my two cents may keep you busy till they come along.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cef2lion View Post
I asked at Lichtsinn about getting a Trik-L-Start. They stated. The Trik-L-Start is no longer sold by Winnebago, but they have a substitute for it, part number is 174291-01-000. Does anyone know anything about its replacement? Assume you can get the Trik-L-Start elsewhere.
The TLS that I bought for my new MH (I like it better than the Tiffin system) has Winnebago and Monaco part numbers on the box. Perhaps they are now using the Amp L Start. It's basically the same unit with a 15a output instead of 5a.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

The TLS that I bought for my new MH (I like it better than the Tiffin system) has Winnebago and Monaco part numbers on the box. Perhaps they are now using the Amp L Start. It's basically the same unit with a 15a output instead of 5a.
How does the TLS or Amp l Start compare with the Echo charge which I think does the same job on my coach?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I'm don't know much about the Echo charger except that it appears to cost twice as much as the Trik L Start.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm don't know much about the Echo charger except that it appears to cost twice as much as the Trik L Start.
I know, it makes the LSL products seem like a bargain in comparison.

I think LSL is offering the Amp-L-Start to compete with the Xantrex echo-charger as both are 15 amps but the Amp-L-Start is $64.95 and the Xantrex is around $125.

The Amp-L-Start effectively makes the Trik-L-Start obsolete as it adjusts from 0-15 amps depending on the conditions. I'm not sure why LSL is still selling the Trik-L-Start ($48.95) along with their Amp-L-Start.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

If I have the Trik-L-Start, and it's working like a charm, what reason would I have to upgrade to the Amp-L-Start?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
I know, it makes the LSL products seem like a bargain in comparison.

I think LSL is offering the Amp-L-Start to compete with the Xantrex echo-charger as both are 15 amps but the Amp-L-Start is $64.95 and the Xantrex is around $125.

The Amp-L-Start effectively makes the Trik-L-Start obsolete as it adjusts from 0-15 amps depending on the conditions. I'm not sure why LSL is still selling the Trik-L-Start ($48.95) along with their Amp-L-Start.

-harry
Harry,
I understand your thoughts here. But, and I'm certainly no expert on any of these systems, there could be a couple of reasons for the continued sales of the Trik-L-Start. One, they have a few thousand of them still in stock and, if the company is still getting requests for them, then why throw them away? Second, if the TLS system works, as it has for several thousand RVrs out there and, their chassis batteries have held up well and never had charging or starting problems, and IT'S CHEAPER, then why get rid of a product that there is still a demand for? Just trying to logically figure this out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
If I have the Trik-L-Start, and it's working like a charm, what reason would I have to upgrade to the Amp-L-Start?
Chillbilly,
As I stated above, if your TLS system is working, and has worked for you for as long as you've had your coach, there is no reason to change. There are folks on here that keep thinking that the Trik-L-Start IS a charger. Based on their OWN description of it's operation, it's only an electronic valve, that allows SOME of the charging intended for the house batteries, to be sent to the chassis batteries. So, again, yours is working, and you're happy with it, theres absolutely no reason to run out and spend higher dollars for the same result.
Scott.

P.S. In my humble opinion, the Trik-L-Start "ALLOWS" up to 5 amps, to be delivered to the chassis batteries if and when, the system detects a 1/2 volt difference between the two sets of batteries. And, as we all know, the Trik-L-Start is only intended to be of use or value I should say, if and when, the coach is on shore power for storage or, while camping with hook-ups. If, the system is working correctly, you should, I SAY YOU SHOULD, not have any problems with your chassis batteries starting your rig. That is of course, assuming that the entire starting system is in good and well maintained shape, i.e. battery(ies), cables, ends, starter, etc.

If, the TLS is working correctly and, you have or continue to have starting issues, then one of two things is happening. One, you've got a load or short on the starting battery side that's drawing the starting batteries down and, the TLS cannot keep up with that short.
Two, you've got a problem with one or more of your starting batteries. At 5 amps, which TLS allows for the charging of the chassis batteries, is not enough, which, is considerably more than most "trikle chargers" at around 2 amps, I'd have to do some investigation as to the entire chassis battery system and, anything related to it. Just an opinion here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #19

No, I think I was misunderstood. There is no reason at all for ANYBODY to replace or upgrade their Trik-L-Start with a Amp-L-Start. I am extremely satisfied with my Trik-L-Start and have no intention of upgrading it. I was just thinking that anybody buying one to do a fresh install or to replace a failing Trik-L-Start might want to spend the extra $16 for a Amp-L-Start.

Yes, Scott, it's obvious that if they have Trik-L-Starts left in their inventory, I wouldn't expect them to just throw them out. I'm pretty dumb but not THAT dumb. Perhaps I should have phrased the question "once their inventory of Trik-L-Starts run out, will they still be manufacturing and marketing them?"

It's not something that I should spend a lot of time pondering however. As usual, I let my finger fly on the keyboard before I put my brain in gear.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Great thread we are getting close to ordering a 2013 Adventurer or Suncruiser and I had planned on installing a Trik-L-Start as I had done on our 03 Journey. But thanks to cef2lion and a little research the 2013 has the Battery Isolation Manager which replaces the old style battery boost/charge relay and includes the functions of the Trik-L-Start.
http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...anagerRevD.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote