Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone here actually used the Trik-L-Start device? It only takes a couple of weeks for my starting battery to drain with the parasitic loads. I have read about the Trik-L-Start and it sounds like an inexpensive solution to my problem. My concern would be that it would then drain the house batteries in keeping the starting battery up. Does the device have some kind of protection built in so the house batteries do not fully drain? I am interested also because I can then also have the starting battery charged while plugged in to shore power through the converter.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone here actually used the Trik-L-Start device? It only takes a couple of weeks for my starting battery to drain with the parasitic loads. I have read about the Trik-L-Start and it sounds like an inexpensive solution to my problem. My concern would be that it would then drain the house batteries in keeping the starting battery up. Does the device have some kind of protection built in so the house batteries do not fully drain? I am interested also because I can then also have the starting battery charged while plugged in to shore power through the converter.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
I've been using one for about 8 months now. I'm plugged in to shore power as well as solar panel. What it does is to sub divide the charging to both sets of batteries. When I check my panel, I read 13.7 volts on each whne fully charged, and it shuts off completely when the engine is running.

( like I said in the other newsgroup)...LOL
Old 05-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Yes I have been useing one for some time. Your chassis batt should not be draining down that fast. I made the mistake of peaving the power step on one time. After us going in and out all the time and the step going in and out. Chassis Batt whent dead. You could also put a cut off switch on chassis batt.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Works great for us. Batteries would croak in a few days now they are fine. We also had the batteries replaced under warranty.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #6

We haven't had to use ours since we had our batteries replaced, but before that it worked great. We are always plugged in to shore power, but our old batteries would still drain. I bought the trik l start at Auto Zone. It really wasn't expensive under $40.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

As a new member myself, all the information I have found on the subject has been favorable. I am taking the coach in next week for new batteries a cut off switch and the Trik-L-Start. I am hoping it will solve the problem. Good Luck.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like the Trik-L-Start will be a worthwhile investment for my batteries.

I agree that the battery should not drain that quickly, but I can't seem to locate the offending load, unless maybe the CO/propane detector is connected to the starting battery instead of the house battery.

One of my concerns is that the charger will depleat the house batteries while trying to keep the starting battery charged when the unit is NOT plugged in to shore power. I have sent an email to the company addressing this specific question.

Glenda, thanks for the heads up about auto zone, I'll have to check prices there too.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
cwg
Winnebago Camper

I had written about it previously on this forum after I purchased one. It was great and I told my dealership -- several of us who had depleted starting batteries were able to benefit from this product.

Later noticed that Winnebago had begun to stock them. The last issue of WIT had an article about them in the pre-2006 diesel pushers. Instead of worrying whether it might come off at the batteries, I had the mechanic permanently mount it as recommended.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:39 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I agree that the permanent wiring sounds like the better way to go. So far I have only heard success stories about the product. I would like to mount it somewhere so that the control head is visible to allow monitoring of the led's.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:48 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Do you put a Trik L Start on the chassis and another one on the house batteries?

Currently, when I have my motorhome in storage I just disconnect the chassis batteries and have had no problem with them maintaining a charge.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:07 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

As I understand the system the Trik-L-Start is used to allow the chassis (starting) battery to charge from the converter while the RV is connected to shore power. Thus eliminating the effect of parasitic loads while the RV is parked or in storage. Otherwise the starting battery is only charged while the engine is running. It is a one way device so power will not flow from the starting battery to the chassis battery bank.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Kazoo Tom The starting Batt is the chassis Batt. The other Batts be it 2 or more are coach or house Batts. The Trik-L-Start draws from the coach batts to keep the chassis batt charged.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 05-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

There in lies one of my concerns. If I have the motorhome parked for a long period of time and the Trik-L-Start is connected, will it deplete the house batteries in an effort to keep the chassis battery charged? I like the fact that it will allow the chassis battery to be charged when connected to shore power, but I do not wish to completely discharge the house batteries when it is not connected to shore power.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #15
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
What about the solar version to solve not connected to shore power problem?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:45 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Trik-l-start works great. You only need one. It charges the coach batteries. The present charger you have in the coach only charges the house batteries. Shuts off automaticly. Well worth the time to install. Also good instructions and simple to install.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

It will only charge when you are plugged into shore power. The threshold voltage to start and stop the charger is over 13 volts. I use the Batterylink ACR from Bluesea as it also has an adjustable high voltage cutoff so I can equalize the house batteries without damaging the chassis batteries.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:14 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

If parked for a long time with no use. I would use the battery disconnect. This is what they put them on there for. My last MH had one for Chassis and one for coach batteries. This MH only has one for the coach batteries.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 05-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Tom:: Goodafternoon.. I Have a 98 ITASCA Suncruser on a F53 with the V10. I had the same problem with the starting (chassis) battery going dead in a week or 10 days if I didnot start it up. Called Winnebago and Ford. Between the two, they told me that the chassis was sthe same as the one used for a cargo box and had a relay used for the cargo box lights. It was draining about a ma an hour while sitting. Removed the relay and the problem was was gone . Now can anyone tell me how the dash instruments and warning lights are or where they are grounded. Need HELP!! I'm going nuts trying to solve this one.
Thanks Mac
CSM Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:08 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

It appears to be a concensus that the Trik-L-Start would be a smart investment. My coach does have a shut off for the house batteries, but none (yet) for the starting battery. That also sounds like it would be a worthwhile investment for me. The solar charging system would be nice, but the Trik-L-Start seems like a much less expensive way to start.